Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my new chi Cora, it was from a breeder who told me (and has on unofficial paperwork) that the parents were 3 and 3.5lbs. When I took Cora in to the vet for her first shots at 7 1/2 weeks, she was already 2.02lbs. Looking at different weight charts, some don't even show that as an option!!
So I have two questions, first is there any way she will only get to 4-5-6lbs, or is she going to be 10 lbs? Second, is there any way parents that small could produce a pup of her size? It was a litter of 4 and she wasn't even the biggest! I want to know because I do plan on getting another chi in the future, and I don't want to go to the same breeder if they are being dishonest with me.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
889 Posts
:wave: i cant really answer any of your questions-- but i know that my chi was supposed to be 5.5-6 lbs according to those charts and she weighs probably between 8-9 lbs! so i guess those charts arent always accurate.

but, im sure someone here can answer your question more fully!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Generally they will be the same size as the parents.....of course nothing is ever by the book so.........the weight chart I have shows Bindi is to be right on target for 4.5-5#'s.........I would NOT be surprised if she went to 6.
I have no info on my boys parents.....he is a tad overweight now he is around 8-8.5 (geesh I hope not more) ideally he looks best at 7.

could be the breeder fibbed a little?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I am wondering, but I did see the Mom (or so I was told) and she looked pretty small. I adore my little baby, but I will be upset if I was lied to. I was only able to convince my boyfriend to get one because he though it would stay small so he could carry it around (although he such a softy for her now, I think it will be fine)
I just know in the breed standard you can't even show anything bigger than 6lbs, so how if she gets to be 10 lbs I'm confused!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Are you sure she was only 7 1/2 weeks when she got her first shot?
That's pretty young to be away from her mom.
If she was really older, the weight might not be that off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty positive she was only 7 1/2 weeks, which I know now is pretty young. I guess to be honest I'm can't be sure, but that's what I was told and I said the same to the vet and he didn't say anything?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Megan777 said:
That's what I am wondering, but I did see the Mom (or so I was told) and she looked pretty small. I adore my little baby, but I will be upset if I was lied to. I was only able to convince my boyfriend to get one because he though it would stay small so he could carry it around (although he such a softy for her now, I think it will be fine)
I just know in the breed standard you can't even show anything bigger than 6lbs, so how if she gets to be 10 lbs I'm confused!
The mom is bigger than the dads or else you would have one hurtin mom (chances are anyway) so you may be ok. But trust me even a 10lb dog is a tiny dog!! :wave:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts