Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering has anybody or anybody know, if you have a tiny chi and they don't come on heat,is it still best to have them spayed ?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's 7 and a half months old ,and 1lb 8oz not sure if she will have a heat ,but not sure on medical grounds if it's best to have her done.Glad all went well with your tiny one

·
Registered
809 Posts
7 months is still early to assume that they are never going to have a heat cycle but yes, if they are not starting to cycle in a reasonable amount of time they should be spayed. You want to take away the problem of a pyometra.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
wow, she is a tiny! I'm not sure when Evie will be spayed--it does depend on her size
and how comfortable my Vet is with the surgery...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am a vet, and in my opinion, it is better to be spayed most of the times. Specially before the first heat cycle to avoid 98% of cancer and pyometra...But this decision is up to you. Some little dogs start their cycles later, until 1 year old. If you want to castrate her one day, better do it earlier as possible.
But it must be done by a very reliable vet. Some vets are not comfortable with tiny dogs, so make sure they do surgeries on little puppies or tiny dogs.
Your babies are so cute !!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sparkles never came into heat at all. At 9 months of age my breeder spayed my 2 pound angel.Kathy, my breeder said she weighed 2 and a half ibs. prior to spay. I am trying to put a half pound on my soul mate. I am in awe that we have bonded so since thursday morning when she flew in with her courier.

Tori

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a vet, and in my opinion, it is better to be spayed most of the times. Specially before the first heat cycle to avoid 98% of cancer and pyometra...But this decision is up to you. Some little dogs start their cycles later, until 1 year old. If you want to castrate her one day, better do it earlier as possible.
But it must be done by a very reliable vet. Some vets are not comfortable with tiny dogs, so make sure they do surgeries on little puppies or tiny dogs.
Your babies are so cute !!
Thank you, yes i have a wonderful vet will have a chat with her soon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts