Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so whatever Paco went thru in the first 8-9 months of his life has him PETRIFIED of getting his nails done or his teeth looked at. Seriously, my Akita gives me less of a fit! Any idea how to make the nail trimming a pleasant experiance for him? the last thing I want it to re-enforce the bad behavior. He wiggles, crys, and does his best to get the heck AWAY as fast as possible, and I am afraid to grip him too firmly because he is so small. I am half tempted to just let the vet deal with it.. but would really rather do it at home!
Today after his trimming, he got some cooked hamburger.. trying to associate good things with the trimming!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I know what you mean about holding them too tight when they are tiny. Quigley fought me tooth and nail when I first started trimming his nails. He was so tiny I was so scared I'd hurt him. He just sits and lets me now. You might get him used to you messing with his feet when you are not trimming his nails. When he is in your lap or snuggling just randomly pet him on his back, tummy, legs then touch his feet now and then increasing the feet touching time. This will get him used to having his feet messed with. Hopefully once he is more accustomed to you touching his feet he will be more apt to let you trim his nails. You may also have to have someone hold him while you trim.;) I have never had a dog that liked their feet messed with. I have always had to " get them used to it".

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I was petrified cutting Dahlia`s nails so I bought a Pedipaws
drummel set for her.It was too hard and her toes were too small.
So I took the orange safety cap off and it was super easy after that!!
I lay her on her back on my lap and do one foot at a time.
Clippers are too scary for me as I dont see well.
You might consider the Pedipaws.
They work really well and just twice a month too.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Daisy has never been a problem lotus put up a fight

I grind daisys nails with a dremmel drill they get nice and short and doesn't get the whick lotus I can't grind alone because she fights so need someone to hold her so I clip them I'm sneaky and do it when she's sleeping on my lap hahahaha the other day I did one paw whilst she was awake the key is the relax them and take your time I'd it takes 2 hours so be it it'll get quicker as they get use to it always finish on a good note and if they fight you have to clip one as if you don't they learn fighting is the way

Lotus also doesn't like the hair dryer and will scream and panic I just hold her on er side and dry her

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We had this issues with Maya since we didn't get her until 1 1/2yo. She'd growl like mad & try to get away. The key is making EVERY session end calmly, relaxed and on YOUR terms. Meaning do not let her up until you say so. ;) What I do is put them on their back like a baby. Wait for the "panic" to stop if it happens. If it does...you'll want to work on that through out the day, every day. That way she doesn't only associate that with nail clipping or looking at teeth. I definitely agree with playing with her feet often & start by just lifting her lips until you see her teeth. As she gets a bit more comfortable you can open her mouth & start poking around. I'm forever doing this just to keep my Chi's thinking it's no big deal.

With Maya & getting her nails trimmed - I really didn't "work" with her before hand. We just went right ahead & took the grinding tool to her. While some will say it's too quick & could cause more problems...after 3 times (a couple weeks apart) she was fine with it. She didn't like it...still is less than enthusiastic about having it done but she'll lay on her back & let me do my thing. Every time we did it I made sure she stayed calm. If she started to squirm I'd give her an "ah ah!" correction until she calmed & started again. She realized quick unless she held still she'd be there forever. ;)

As for her teeth I started slow until I trusted what she was or wasn't capable of if you kwim. She'd growl at me but I soon learned she was FOS. hehe If she's begin to growl I'd give her a verbal command & she'd stop. Again, I didn't stop until she was calm & it was my terms. I'd wiggle her babies she's retained & try to get some of the tartar she had build up off. A few times I did accidentally cause a bit of discomfort (getting to close to the gum or wiggling her back deciduous tooth that was then wiggley & it caused a bit of pain) & made her yelp & growl but I was SURE to correct the growl & continue (a bit more carefully haha). But I never ever ended on her terms because it would only cause my trouble in the future.

Anyway, I'm sure you can over come this with a little time & patience. Just be persistent & again, make sure to only end when the atmosphere is calm & when YOU are ready to be over...never when she wants it to be over. And from there you will make progress! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aha Ok. We have a Pedipaws, I used it on Yuki when she was a puppy. I have never had a dog have such an issue with his or her feet, poor guy. Thanks for the suggestions, I have been messing with his feet on and off all day as he sleeps or is up in my lap. Such a silly guy he is!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am honestly none to impressed with it. its NOISY, and the noise alone bothers Yuki. Its much easier just to sit her in my lap and trim with a regular dog nail trimmer. none of my dogs has ever seemed to care for it much, but it was a gift so I do my best to use it now and then. I am going to take the above suggestion and take the shield off of it so that I can get closer to Paco's toenails, and see if maybe he likes it.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
We are having a similar problem with Ziva, here's what a trainer told me to do:
" Teaching them to calmly accept paw handling is a good first step, but there are many more steps that need to be done before actually clipping a nail :) BTW, saw a video recently about clipping rabbit
nails where the trainer clipped pieces of dry spaghetti to get the rabbit used to sound of the clippers... brilliant!

Many dogs are leery of having their feet messed with. I believe they are sensitive and concerned about being hurt or "trapped". It's not enough to just try to handle them regularly, you need to create a
positive association with having her feet touched. That usually means getting out the yummiest treats... a brief touch = a treat. Over time they learn to accept the touching (and later the trimming) to get the treats.

You also need to start very slowly and not expect her to tolerate too much at one time. That often means stroking down the leg to the floor when the dog is standing, then briefly pausing and cupping the foot (while it is firmly on the floor) as an introductory step. Do NOT just try to pick up a foot and hold it. When you get to lifting the foot, touch her shoulder first and slide your hand down her leg. Ask her to lift her foot (she has to shift her weight onto the other foot first) and then lift gently. You also need to learn how to hold the foot like you might hold a baby bird and to let your hand move with the foot if she pulls away a bit. These are subtle ways we engender trust rather than a reflexive escape behavior. Talk to her about what you intend to do and ONLY do what you have explained. Keep your foot interactions very brief, accompanied by yummy treats, and followed by a stress relieving energetic activity.

With puppies, at a minimum I recommend giving one treat for every snip. My dog is very cooperative about having his nails done, but I still give him several treats for each foot. This isn't a task they enjoy so I think we should pay them well for their willing cooperation :) With pups I might only do one nail a day until they become comfortable with the whole affair."

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one nail a day is a wonderful idea, I am going to have to give it a try! Right now I am leaving the nail trimmers, all THREE sets, out and by Paco so he can have a sniff and get used to them just laying there.. Kind of like the Vacuum. he didn't care for the sound at first so we did the vacuum off, me sitting next to it giving him treats for almost a week straight. he still hides in the bay window while it is on, but its no longer that quivering fear..

·
Registered
602 Posts
when i first got Fiddle, every day I got some treats and went thru touching all the 'sensitive spots' things like ears, eyes, nose, paws, legs and holding her tail and lifting it. now she is pretty good with me checking or clipping, unless she is in a mood

1 - 11 of 11 Posts