Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I cut my chis nails but he loves to jump and claw on my legs. It KILLS me they feel so sharp.
I was wondering can I get a finger nail file pad and file his nails a little bit?
Would that hurt him? would it even help? has anyone ever done this before? thanks

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I have used fingernail files, they dont work so good. I am going to get a dog nail file. that should do it! Kemo hates having his nails done, he pulls his paw back and curls it under his arm *sigh* I figure if I can file them, maybe he will get better. Although he doesn like the file either! :roll:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sure you can use a file to file the nails. When my girls were in 4-H that was how they were told to take care of nails. It was easy for kids, they could sit and watch tv and files the dogs nails. They used a regular metal machinest file. That might be overkill for a chi, but you get the idea. I have a rotary nail groomer, looks like a dremel tool but was made to file dogs nails. And yes, I know that those freshly cut nails can be devastating to the legs..OUCH... :D

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I've wondered about using nail files, too. :) When I get Bosco's nails trimmed at PetSmart, I ask them to use a dremmel on them...it is like a high speed electric file thingie and it makes his nails short and smooth. They use that instead of nail clippers. Also they said that if it did happen to take too much nail off, the nail won't bleed like it would if you cut it with clippers. Just a suggestion!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Boogaloo said:
I've wondered about using nail files, too. :) When I get Bosco's nails trimmed at PetSmart, I ask them to use a dremmel on them...it is like a high speed electric file thingie and it makes his nails short and smooth. They use that instead of nail clippers. Also they said that if it did happen to take too much nail off, the nail won't bleed like it would if you cut it with clippers. Just a suggestion!
Maybe that is what I need, did you watch how they did it Anna? Fill me in. I would think the noise would scare him???

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I think Auggies nails are sharper right after I trim them so when he naps I file them with a good regular nail file just to make them a little less sharp :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
The rotary file that I use is specially made for dogs. It is a bit noisy, but they get used to it. You just have to make sure that you keep the tool moving over the nail, because it develops heat. But that heat also keep a nail that gets too short from bleeding. It does tend to smell a little while you are using it...but again, not bad. My chis have gotten used to it...

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Victoria - I did watch them do it...they had one tech hold Bosco while they other did it...Bosco held still a LOT better than the nail clippers. He just whimpered quietly and looked over at me like "Mom how could you let them do this to me?". I held his face in my hands and talked to him while they did it. :)

I would think the noise would scare him more than it did---but Bosco did really good. It is super quick, just takes maybe 1 or 2 seconds per nail and they are much smoother than if you cut them with a clipper.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Newbies with dremmels PLEASE be careful. Like stated above they will develop heat quickly and get very hot on the nail. you have to keep it moving. Just a couple seconds can develop quite some heat!!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
My Chi's nail and very sharp as well after I trim them. What I do is take them for a walk and usually it will do the trick...walking on the sidewalk helps dull the nails.

Hope this helps. I have never tried to file my Chi's nails, but I have painted them with nail polish that dries in 60 seconds.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good idea. Im glad to know It wasnt as silly of a question as I thought it was. I tried the nail filing and well it didnt go over to well with him. I will try the walking.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Definitely agree with love my chis. I think that is why auggies nails are so much sharper right after I trim them. Before the are trimmed they are duller from walking on pavement! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts