Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has been a looooooooong weekend in our house...
Many of you responded to my thread about trying to talk my fiance into another chi, and Im sure I combined almost all of your suggestions over the last few days, and SUCCESS!!!!!!

After being here on the forum for a few months Ive started to realize how much fun it would be to show. Ive attended area shows in the past and enjoyed them, and like all of us here I just love to spend time with my dogs. Showing seems like a great way to have fun with your dog (anxious to hear how flippedstars first show with Bryco went this weekend!)....so, Ive been looking for a pup who I could get into a little showing with. He doesnt need to be destined to be some major grand champion, whatever success we have would just be an added bonus.

So, introducing "Leo"-his name with the breeder, which I kind of like, but we are still undecided, so name suggestions are welcome also!

Heres what the breeder has told me in regards to his conformation-
So, far he has a very nice body, straight line,
perfect tail set, small nose, nice head, perfect ears.

They are involved in showing, and Leo's sire is an AKC Champion and I have access to both the sire and dam's pedigrees (which frankly I dont know enough about the whole showing deal yet for those to mean a whole lot to me)

Id love your feedback on him! I havent made a deposit yet, we still have a few details to work out, Ive asked if I can purchase him with limited registration for now, then see where we are with our handling etc, and see how he is developing and then purchase full AKC rights at that stage when I know Ill be able to show him. I havent heard back on that yet, does it make sense, or is it just a totally backwards thing to do? It is almost double to buy him with full registration, so I would just like to be sure that we can actually show together before I make that kind of investment in his paperwork which otherwise is totally unnecessary (I have NO plans of breeding).

Thanks for looking, and Id appreciate any feedback as this whole showing thing is totally new to me

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
He looks adorable, I'd go for him. I also like your attitude towards Showing as I have the same view. I am not bothered if I never qualify for Crufts etc, all I want to do is have fun, if I got focused on qualifying I reckon for me I'd get too serious and loose the fun factor.

The name Leo was what Jake was originally called but for me I didn't like it. Jake just wasn't a Leo. However if your boy is as brave as a lion it would be a great name.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Can the breeder send u a picture of him stacked??? How old is he??

He looks nice from the pic, can you get pics of his parents also. One thing I would think about is marking or shows they have to be intact so obviously mark their territory (this is one of the reasons I gotta girl)
Also find your local ring craft class we started last week it's daunting I still dunno whether I'll show lotus but it does nit hurt to get some practice

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He looks adorable, I'd go for him. I also like your attitude towards Showing as I have the same view. I am not bothered if I never qualify for Crufts etc, all I want to do is have fun, if I got focused on qualifying I reckon for me I'd get too serious and loose the fun factor.

The name Leo was what Jake was originally called but for me I didn't like it. Jake just wasn't a Leo. However if your boy is as brave as a lion it would be a great name.
Thank you! I like Theo or Teddy for him also, but we cant agree. Exactly, I just want to have some fun with my dog and show him off a little, not focus on winning it all.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Ah, he is precious! I'm so jealous - I do plan on getting a show pup eventually but not yet. Anyway, I think he looks pretty good from what I can tell of the pics. I like his name. ;)

I also agree with Sarah. I thought I could handle an intact male until Marley started marking all over the house & got Maxie into marking (which he never did before!). I thought I'd be able to train him out of it & it didn't happen. So for me, when I look for a show pup it WILL be female.

But as for looks he looks nice. Congrats on getting the hubs to agree - whoo hoo!!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sarah- Thank you, it completely slipped my mind to show pics of his parents as well.

Heres the dam, who I would very much like to steal

And his sire

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
She will probably want the 'full' payment before she changes his status to Full if she does sell him on limited at a cheaper price. He is adorable, very cute.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aww he is SO precious! I just love him, what a sweet little face he has. I don't know much about showing, so I can't comment on that aspect, but I think he's adorable and I'm so happy for you. :) Keep us posted on everything and congrats on getting your husband to agree to it! ;) :D

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can the breeder send u a picture of him stacked??? How old is he??

He looks nice from the pic, can you get pics of his parents also. One thing I would think about is marking or shows they have to be intact so obviously mark their territory (this is one of the reasons I gotta girl)
Also find your local ring craft class we started last week it's daunting I still dunno whether I'll show lotus but it does nit hurt to get some practice
He is right around 8 weeks, I didnt ask about his current weight, though he is "charted" to be 3.5-4.5, but just from my own experience it seems like you take what the breeder projects and add a pound or so, so who knows.
For me an intact male who may mark is the lesser of two evils, Id rather deal with that as a potential problem then try to deal with a female in heat. At least I say that now!

Ah, he is precious! I'm so jealous - I do plan on getting a show pup eventually but not yet. Anyway, I think he looks pretty good from what I can tell of the pics. I like his name. ;)

I also agree with Sarah. I thought I could handle an intact male until Marley started marking all over the house & got Maxie into marking (which he never did before!). I thought I'd be able to train him out of it & it didn't happen. So for me, when I look for a show pup it WILL be female.

But as for looks he looks nice. Congrats on getting the hubs to agree - whoo hoo!!!
O gosh, I didnt even think about the fact that he might make Reese mark as well, shoot. When I was young our family dogs were a spayed female and intact male dachshund, my mom didnt end up making the decision to neuter him until he was about 2 years and we never did have a problem with marking, so I guess Im just hoping for the same kind of luck!
Ha, getting my guy on board was a battle and a half! He kept saying "but where does it STOP??!!" Poor guy.

She will probably want the 'full' payment before she changes his status to Full if she does sell him on limited at a cheaper price. He is adorable, very cute.
O I realize I will need to pay for the full registration rights at some point, I just would feel a little more comfortable doing it when I KNEW we could show.

Aww he is SO precious! I just love him, what a sweet little face he has. I don't know much about showing, so I can't comment on that aspect, but I think he's adorable and I'm so happy for you. :) Keep us posted on everything and congrats on getting your husband to agree to it! ;) :D
Thank you so much! Im excited for my first long hair...Im wondering what color he will end up though, it seems like a lot of the long coats Ive seen on here that were similar in coloring to Leo as pups are so different as adults. Not that Im fussed about color, but it will be neat to see!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Leo is very handsome. I think his coloring is very nice and yes his tail is in line very nicely. I am fond of the name Leo for him. It sounds brave and strong yet not over powering. The dam is very elegant and lovely. I'd like to steal her as well :coolwink:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Well congrats!! We are getting quite a few nice show puppies on here which is super exciting!! I think he's lovely. His sire and dam are very nice. It's a bit of a crapshoot with a puppy as to how they will turn out, but he looks show potential to me at this age. I say go on and get him and see how ya do!!

I think there's an all breed kennel club in Lawrence, you can go to akc.org and click on member clubs and see. Start getting involved with a local conformation class, they will help you learn to show him.

Very exciting!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Congratulations! He looks like a little teddy bear. I want to cuddle him up! :)
His mom and dad are both beautiful! The dad looks so familiar to me. Is your puppy from a breeder in Texas?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh my mummy is stunning she looks vvv young though is that an old pic? Or is it after pups as they always look awful! I like her I'd get a pic of him stacked and I know one of the pics was a profile but u can't see his face too clearly u wanna check his stop :) altho unless he's the donkey out the litter which he doesn't look like it he is lovely

I order the dam to the mum he ha her shaped muzzle!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
And colour is. Pain in the arse!! Daisy is going somefunky light brown colour and lotus well god knows what she is as what shell eb coz she is just some funky colour!!!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Leo is very handsome. I think his coloring is very nice and yes his tail is in line very nicely. I am fond of the name Leo for him. It sounds brave and strong yet not over powering. The dam is very elegant and lovely. I'd like to steal her as well :coolwink:
Thank you! They better keep a close watch on her, haha!

Well congrats!! We are getting quite a few nice show puppies on here which is super exciting!! I think he's lovely. His sire and dam are very nice. It's a bit of a crapshoot with a puppy as to how they will turn out, but he looks show potential to me at this age. I say go on and get him and see how ya do!!

I think there's an all breed kennel club in Lawrence, you can go to akc.org and click on member clubs and see. Start getting involved with a local conformation class, they will help you learn to show him.

Very exciting!
Thank you Tracy! It looks like I may have to go to Topeka for conformation, but thats really not a bad drive. At what age should we begin classes?

Congratulations! He looks like a little teddy bear. I want to cuddle him up! :)
His mom and dad are both beautiful! The dad looks so familiar to me. Is your puppy from a breeder in Texas?
Thanks! Thats why I like Teddy for him, but we cant agree.
They are in Texas, his name is Thunder.

Oh my mummy is stunning she looks vvv young though is that an old pic? Or is it after pups as they always look awful! I like her I'd get a pic of him stacked and I know one of the pics was a profile but u can't see his face too clearly u wanna check his stop :) altho unless he's the donkey out the litter which he doesn't look like it he is lovely

I order the dam to the mum he ha her shaped muzzle!
I noticed that too, but the pic is a little over a year old. I think those shots are from when they first added her. His stop does look good, I was exercising a bit of self control with the pictures haha, I have ten or so. Thanks for mentioning it though, as I dont want to miss anything!

And colour is. Pain in the arse!! Daisy is going somefunky light brown colour and lotus well god knows what she is as what shell eb coz she is just some funky colour!!!!
Sure seems that way! Leo reminds me a bit of Lotus just in terms of the facial markings, they both look to have darker rings around their eyes. I hope those stay, Im a sucker for the little masks some chis have. The good thing is even if youre in love with the original coloring, by the time they change youre so gaga over the dog that it doesnt matter anymore. Lotus and Daisy are both lovely girls!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You can start conformation classes at about 4 months after he's had his puppy shots. You can show anytime after his 6th month birthday. :)

Looks like the lawrence club does have conformation classes:

Lawrence Jayhawk Kennel Club

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
We started last week when she was 16 weeks

Post more photos I thought everyone knew the rules here hahaha

Lotus' mask is growing out daisy had one too as a bubble

1 - 20 of 37 Posts