Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diesel is a spoiled brat. Anytime anything doesn't go his way, he sits down, throws his head back, and howls until someone helps him out.

Gracie is hogging the food bowl. (There are two, but we can only eat out of one...) Diesel sits on his tiny butt right beside her and howls until we make her share.

Someone has a toy he wants - he howls.

I go upstairs to get dressed in the morning - there is a gate at the bottom of the stairs because someone in my house likes to clean out my cat litter box for me. Diesel sits at the bottom and howls until I come back down, or at least come to the top of the stairs and say 'hi'.

I try to sleep in - my hubby gets up and takes them all out, and always forgets to put the gate up on the stairs. Diesel comes and sits beside the bed (still too little to jump) and howls...

Okay, so I agree that these are disciplinary problems, no matter how cute this little tiny terror looks with his head thrown back, howling. But, here's the catch...It's also the way he lets me know he needs to go outside and potty. If I'm busy and moving around or sitting down, he will sit at my feet and howl until I take him outside. He has been the most amazing dog to housetrain that I've ever encountered, although I am sure the older dogs have helped considerably - but he didn't get this howling thing from them - neither of them are howlers.

I think it's because he's so little and he's learned that it really gets my attention, so it's stuck...

So, how do I stop the 'temper tantrums' and still hang on to the 'I gotta pee' notifications????

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
He sounds irresistable! lol!
The only advice I can give is this: Never, Never give him an ounce of attention unless
he is quiet. Set up a schedule to take him outside and forget about him "asking" to go out.
Good luck! He's such a cutie :love7:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He IS irresistible, and that's part of the problem!

Pedro (my demon dog who hates everyone and everything) caters to him and babies him. Gracie (the grouchiest Chihuahua to ever walk this earth) allows him to sleep on top of her. It's not just my husband and I who have spoiled him, unfortunately.

I like being told when he has to go outside...But we live in a group of townhouses that are attached to each other - I'm not sure how well my neighbors like being woke up as early as we get up just because Diesel wants a lift into the bed! :confused:

I think his problem is actually encouraged by us, even though we don't mean to do it. Howling gets him what he wants, so he does it. And when you look down at this little 2 1/2 lb dog with his head thrown back giving it all he's got, it is so difficult to be stern. But I know that's what I need to do...

Just a tad more dysfunction to my already dysfunctional group! And we raised this monster ourselves, so there is no one else to blame!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, all 3 of mine think they have to have a bite of whatever we're eating. One of us will usually try to choose the safest thing for them to eat for their little stomachs and give each a tiny bite. Then we can usually have some peace and quiet to finish our meal!

I just thought if I got one as a pup and raised it (my other two are rescues) I could work all the kinks out of it as we went along. Maybe it's just my household that brings out the bad behaviour in them! Just like with my kids when they were small, we tend to find their antics funny at the start, and by the time we want to stop them, they're expecting us to laugh rather than scold them.

I am a bad dog momma, but I bet if you asked them, they'd say I'm the best! :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Diesel is a spoiled brat. Anytime anything doesn't go his way, he sits down, throws his head back, and howls until someone helps him out.

Gracie is hogging the food bowl. (There are two, but we can only eat out of one...) Diesel sits on his tiny butt right beside her and howls until we make her share.

Someone has a toy he wants - he howls.

I go upstairs to get dressed in the morning - there is a gate at the bottom of the stairs because someone in my house likes to clean out my cat litter box for me. Diesel sits at the bottom and howls until I come back down, or at least come to the top of the stairs and say 'hi'.

I try to sleep in - my hubby gets up and takes them all out, and always forgets to put the gate up on the stairs. Diesel comes and sits beside the bed (still too little to jump) and howls...

Okay, so I agree that these are disciplinary problems, no matter how cute this little tiny terror looks with his head thrown back, howling. But, here's the catch...It's also the way he lets me know he needs to go outside and potty. If I'm busy and moving around or sitting down, he will sit at my feet and howl until I take him outside. He has been the most amazing dog to housetrain that I've ever encountered, although I am sure the older dogs have helped considerably - but he didn't get this howling thing from them - neither of them are howlers.

I think it's because he's so little and he's learned that it really gets my attention, so it's stuck...

So, how do I stop the 'temper tantrums' and still hang on to the 'I gotta pee' notifications????
Love this story. Its the funniest. Diesel sounds like a hoot. I love the choc and tan chi's! I would say you lucked out on the potty training thing. We just got our first chi, he's almost 5 months. We trained him to a litter box with pads. He does excellent, most of the time..but if I am not paying attention...I think he would be just as likely to pee on the floor.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I love this story too, and I love this website because it's a bunch of people like me with dogs like mine. Your little Diesel sounds like a hoot! We got Lulu almost 4 yrs ago when she was 9 wks old and weighed 1lb 12oz. When I told my husband I was bringing home a chihuahua (spur of the moment I just couldn't leave that little creature in that baby bed in the pet store, and we had NEVER had a dog before) he asked me if I had bumped my head! Needless to say, we ADORE her!! She loves me way more than my kids even though they try to tell me different. I could talk about her all day. They have you from day one with their little tricks and special little personalities.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I love this story too, and I love this website because it's a bunch of people like me with dogs like mine. Your little Diesel sounds like a hoot! We got Lulu almost 4 yrs ago when she was 9 wks old and weighed 1lb 12oz. When I told my husband I was bringing home a chihuahua (spur of the moment I just couldn't leave that little creature in that baby bed in the pet store, and we had NEVER had a dog before) he asked me if I had bumped my head! Needless to say, we ADORE her!! She loves me way more than my kids even though they try to tell me different. I could talk about her all day. They have you from day one with their little tricks and special little personalities.
I know what you mean Lulus Mom. Hubby thought I was crazy too. I never even liked chi's before..embarrassed to say that, but they have a way of worming their way into your hearts. Now I'm OCD about Chi's. I totally get why people love them so much.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
That's why my husband said that because he never liked them (like you- embarrassed to say but it's just not knowing about them) but this little girl won his heart and we can't imagine life without her. I stay amazed at their personality. We often say she can almost talk to us. haha. She's cocking her little head from side to side like she's just about to speak. If I have on my robe she scratches at it meaning open up so I can wiggle in and cuddle up. It seems like we dote on her alot, but our boys are grown and she makes us both happy!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Can you put some stairs by the furniture he needs to get up on? If he's using his 'needs to go outside' signal for other things, I'd probably try taking him outside each time he does it, make it boring, and then go about my business after we come in. I'd also build in some more attention giving activities with him when he doesn't ask for it. Chihuahua's take a lot of time - I say with having only had my puppy since Thanksgiving !

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Have you thought of teaching him to ring a bell when he goes out? I know some people who taught their dog to ring a little bell hanging on an s hook down at dog nose level by the back door when they need to pee. Then you can teach him to be quiet and not worry about him needing to potty. These people also have a stubborn dog and they report it was easy to teach, but I have no personal experience with it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Barneys Mom99, he does have steps to the couch downstairs. He's not supposed to BE upstairs. When my husband gets up before I do, he takes Diesel out first because his needs are more urgent due to his age, and then when he comes back in to take the older dogs out, he forgets to put the gate up and Diesel comes and gets me up! Basically, it's my husband's fault...:D

We gate off the stairs - the cat lives upstairs and the dogs live downstairs - somewhere along the line we developed a litter box cleaner, if you know what I mean. I'm betting on Diesel, but I think all 3 are doing it now. Anyway, that absolutely grosses me out and the cat hates all the dogs except Diesel, so we had to 'draw a line'.

doginthedesert, I had that exact thought yesterday while we were out. We have a bell here somewhere like those that you see sitting on a counter at a store to ring for help??? I'm going to find it today, and start trying to train Diesel with it. We bought it when we were training Gracie, and she was terrified of it...Now I've just got to remember where I put it! Diesel has NO FEAR...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will try! I have a video camera on my phone and camera, but by the time I get to them he is over it!

Tonight, he howled outside the bathroom door because I happened to make it in there alone for a change! Pete is calling him a terrorist...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Maybe its something with the little Chocolate ones because my Chloe is a noisy little thing too!

For the first 2 weeks we had her she would howl constantly when she was left alone or wanted to be picked up. The whole head back, wolf howling at the moon style thing - quite entertaining when its comming from a tiny Chi pup. She's over that now but has started making this high pitched squeak constantly. She squeaks at Axle when he's ignoring her, she squeaks at Axle when he's playing with her, she squeaks when she's digging in her bed ( which is multiple times daily) and this morning she squeaked when I was ignoring her getting ready for work :(

I tell her off every time she does it but she seems to take zero notice of me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts