Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Mage passed away I became so depressed. My life was a mess as is and his passing made it so much worse. For those of you who knew me on this site ( probably not many ) I cannot begin to say how sorry I am for dropping off the face of the earth. Things were just..bad, and I had no internet access for awhile anyway.

I feel like I need to share my grief with those who will understand. No one I know in person has had their chi friend pass away and feel like I have.

That day Mage died I had left him at a friend's house while I ran an errand. During this time he had a seizure and died not 10 minutes later. ( I was unable to hear the frantic calls from my friend because I was on my motorcycle ) The only thing I can think of was hypoglycemia. He had had two episodes as a puppy but at his age I thought it was long gone. Words cannot express how upset I was, in fact, I was in total shock. He was my constant companion and he would have came with me on the errand if my friend didn't request he stay and play with her chi.

Here is the first picture I ever saw of Mage.

It's almost funny to me, that back then I was worried that he wouldn't like to be cuddled or held. I had never owned a small dog, I wanted a best buddy to take everywhere. He was everything and more.

On the ride home and minutes after picking him up.

Upon returning home.

He was a tired pup.

Mage went with me everywhere and he made friends out of everyone, even people who hate small dogs. He always had a butt wiggle and a tail wag for anyone who approached and never barked. In fact, he almost never really barked the entire time he was with me!

He was a silly little nerd

That could be as regal as ever

And downright fearless

He loved riding on the bike with me and he'd fall asleep curled up on the gas tank with his chin on my leg ( he was secured to my belt loops )

After he died I told myself I didn't want another chi. Ever. I emailed his breeder and told her about what happened because we tended to chat about chis, keeping in touch and I thought she should know.

I got an email from her a month ago and she told me she had a chocolate merle boy just born that is Mage's brother. She told me she'd let me have him over the other people that was in line because of Mage. I told her I'd think about it. My life is improving though there are still setbacks that are slowly resolving.

I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could give it a shot. That maybe I need another companion like Mage had been. I was encouraged by friends to try.

Here is the first pic I seen of Mage's little sibling.

I fell in love instantly but I had to try and think it out! I want what's best for him! Even if I can't give it.

Well, I ended up saying yes. I'm so happy to say that I soooo look forward to meeting this little man in person. I'm very, very excited and I can hardly wait to start socializing him. I want to take him everywhere, just like his big brother. I know I can't ever replace my little Mage but I want to give this one the best life possible.

Here he is at 2 weeks

And 3

So much more merling than Mage..and so very, very cute! <3 He looks like a little dalmatian.

He's going to be named Reuben, I'm sure I will be calling him Roo along with a million other nicknames like all my pets.

Thank you for reading, everyone.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I am so so sorry you lost your little pal Mage, he looked like a wonderful little dog. Your story made me smile and cry at the same time. I hope you get as much pleasure from your little Reuben as you got from Mage.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the kind words, Lisa. Means a lot.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You are a great chi owner, I can tell..and Roo will have a lovely, happy life with you just like your Mage did. They are both beautiful.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Your story made me get teary-eyed. It is so obvious how much Mage meant to you, and I'm genuinely thrilled that you have the opportunity to make his sibling a part of your family.

I gotta laugh; the little boy Spike (in my siggy) is often called Roo. It actually stemmed from Spike-a-Roo, then my "little Rooney Toon," because he often reminds me of a little fuzzy white cartoon character. I just think it's funny how many nicknames fall into place, without much conscious direction LOL!

Again just saying Congratulations and it's great to see another Illinoiser / Merle Lover around! I'm not on as much as I'd like to be any more lately either but I've made a vow to never leave "for good," as this place means far too much to me. Therefor, I look forward to seeing you around and watching our little boys grow up! =D

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I just loved the fearless Madge picture on your bike. Amazing. I am sure you will find a new love for your puppy. Madge can never be replaced but if he wasn't such great dog you wouldn't be looking for another....he lives on in your love for the breed:love9: Good luck with your new little one.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I can tell why the breeder is letting you have this boy ahead of the others who were in line for this pup. He will be lucky to have you as his person! I am sorry for the loss of your beloved Mage. Your story makes my heart ache for you but I am glad things are looking up.

BTW, I like your motorcycle too. I have a 300 cc Linhai scooter which I love to ride.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to thank each and every one of you for your kindness! I always loved this place and although I did spend most of my time here lurking the people I talked to and read about were unforgettable! I'm so glad that I can be a part of the community again.

LostLakeLua, I saw all your pups from the double merle mom and I must say they are ADORABLE! I have a weakness for any and all merles. When I was a kid I used to think merle colors in all dogs were super rare and sooo interesting. They were my absolute favorites and that hasn't changed today. There's just something about them. They're just LOUD and eye catching-and gorgeous!

What part of IL are you from? I'm in central. Between Bloomington and Decatur.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Mage....its never easy to lose our beloved companions but must be doubly hard when it is so unexpected....
Time is a great healer and it looks like a new baby will be coming into your life soon...he is a lucky little fellow as it is very apparent how loved and well cared for Mage was...looking forward to pics..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mage was a very handsome boy! I am so sorry for your loss. That sounds like every chi owners worst nightmare. Congrats on your new boy. I know he will never be able to take the place of his big brother, but I think he will be a great companion nonetheless!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of Mage. He was a beautiful boy and I can tell that he was very loved. Thanks for sharing your story with us - it was a wonderful tribute.

Your new addition is about as cute as they get. Congratulations and welcome back. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh my gosh! I've never seen a red merle Chihuahua! Absolutely gorgeous!
The markings on his face are really cool.
I actually didn't read this at first, I was fawning over his photos. I'm so, so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine.

I did have a Cocker Spaniel stolen from me, and I never thought I'd feel the same way about a dog. I tried, and ended up fostering dogs instead of keeping them for my own. Then I found these three (Leila ran away a while ago), I never thought I could be so in love again.

Your newest addition is adorable too! You're right, he does look like a little dalmation! I'm so looking forward to more pics of him <3

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Oh, I'm just so sorry to hear about Mage!! My heart just broke reading your story and feeling your great love and loss! I have to say the pic of Mage on your motorcycle...PRICELESS!! Reuben is a total angel-pie! Can't wait to until he can come home to you where he belongs. :) We want lots of pics.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
LostLakeLua, I saw all your pups from the double merle mom and I must say they are ADORABLE! I have a weakness for any and all merles. When I was a kid I used to think merle colors in all dogs were super rare and sooo interesting. They were my absolute favorites and that hasn't changed today. There's just something about them. They're just LOUD and eye catching-and gorgeous!

What part of IL are you from? I'm in central. Between Bloomington and Decatur.
I have always felt the same way, I at first knew the color to be called "confetti" which always stuck with me, LOL. I'm from way up north in IL just 20 miles from the WI border! I assume you guys also got the huge dumping of snow last night?? This morning I did my usual routine of shoveling/drawing pathways in the yard; I feel obligated if I'm expecting them all to poop outside LOL.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LostLakeLua – Dang, I thought maybe you'd be closer. I don't know many people with chis and I'd like Reuben to have social time with some other friendly small dogs. All my family's dogs are out of control, lol. We actually didn't get a single snowflake. In fact, it's raining today. Not even freezing rain, either.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and update with some new pics!

He's now a bit over 4 weeks old!

Sooo cute. I cannot WAIT to see the little guy!

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Didn't see this early on, what a beautiful puppy he is. Happy for you that you are able to have another chi in your life. He will help heal your broken heart.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So sorry about your Mage. I can't even imagine the heart ache. It is amazing to me how these little babies steal your heart. Ruben is just perfect for you. Not only is he just adorable, but he is going to help you find your heart again and fill the emptiness. And because Ruben is a chi, he is going to be ok with you keeping that special spot for Mage. They are like that you know! They have the biggest hearts! Need more pictures as Roo grows!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts