Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Petsmart has a Banfield pet hospital in it, and it offers wellness plans. It is kinda spendy, DH isn't a fan of spending that much, but if it will save us money in the long run, I want to do it. I thought this would be the perfect place to ask.. :)

Here is the puppy plan. It doesn't show the costs on there, but I have a pamphlet that tells me. It would be a One time membership fee of $99.95, then a month payment of $21.95 for the Primary Early Care, or $24.95 for the Basic Early Care. It ends up being $263.40 (bundled savings of $464.38) or $299.40 (bundled savings of $703.33) a year. It will cover her for the first year, then we can move on to the adult plan... Which is a whole other thing set of prices.

Bella so far has only had her first DHLPP shot that she got today (did so good, didn't even whine!) It cost us $34.XX, and we will have to do it again in 3 weeks, then another 3 weeks after that.

I just want to know if I'll be needing to use a lot of those services, and if it will pay off in the long run and actually save me money. Or if anyone else here uses that plan, or if it's crap. Please help!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I know a few people here tried that and were really unhappy with it.

It's well worth insuring your baby, you can do so for around $150-$250 thru Pet Insurance for Dogs and Cats - Petplan Pet Health Insurance, that is who my babies are insured through and I was unfortunate and fortunate enough to have to use it...they were great, paid as agreed, and quickly.

I think the Banfield deal is more of a money hole.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Btw, I know she very likely isn't, but since she's not papered, say she is a mix on the application, and make sure your vet knows she's a mix too. Far cheaper to insure a mix than a purebred pup :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you flippedstars! I can always count on you to comment and help me! :)

Pet insurance doesn't cover preventative stuff does it? Like vaccinations and stuff?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
No, it doesn't, but I guess what I read is the Banfield ends up not really saving you much. I wish I could remember the name of the member who had it who was really disappointed but its escaping me right now.

Really, she needs a puppy shot again at 14 weeks (don't let them tell you otherwise, vaccines just line their pockets...one more at 14 weeks will be sufficient until her 1 year boosters), and her rabies at 6 months...spayed at 6 months, that's like $150 worth of care there, if you have a good vet with good decent pricing :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Her DHLPP shot alone (they waive the exam fee) costs $34 something. I can check other places to see if anyone else has it cheaper. Then they said I have to come back at 11 weeks then 14 weeks to do the same shot again. So I can really just skip the 11 week one? I just went to Petsmart for this shot cuz they have a walk in thing where you just pay for the shot itself I guess.

I have a friend that used to breed Pit Bull puppies (very bad I know) but she did the shots herself. She told me I could go pick up shots at a feed store for her for about $8 or so, and she can do it herself. But I was just kinda scared to have her do them.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
My husband decided to get this Banfield thing when we got Calleigh and also for Pedro, and we're not liking it much now. We are finding that each time we go, something isn't included and we have to pay for that extra and there has been ALOT of extras.:foxes15: We've only had it since the beginning of December and have spent a chunk of money on things they said aren't included! So I don't know if it's really saving us that much......:(

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Ok, well, first thing's first, that is a bad bad bad puppy shot for them to give her. It is full of unnecessary things that don't really cover or protect from jack ****...scuse my french. You want one that is only Distemper/Adenovirus/Parvovirus (DAP).

Combination vaccines are generally bad. The same dose given to a great dane is being given to your chihuahua.

The deal w puppy shots is you are trying to give a shot when the mom's immunity wears off. It's a gamble, and the majority of the shots the pup gets are useless, but can cause some big problems with the dog. Instead, vaccinating once at 12-14 weeks is the best bet of guaranteeing immunity, because then you know the mom's immunity has worn off.

Anyway...that's just my 2cents :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sucks. You expect the Vet to know what it's doin.. So at 14 weeks do I just want to get the DAP for her? Or should I just follow up with the DHLPP now that she has it?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
No, The DHLPP is basically the DAP plus extra crap ;) So, its the same thing plus more poisons basically. Your best bet is to go basic, especially with a dog as small as a chihuahua.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
If you do skip the 11 week one, be sure not to take her for a walk or out where dogs have been as there is a chance of getting parvo. Keeping the dog in the house is fine.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
IMO puppies should never be on the ground outdoors outside of your own fenced yard until 2 weeks after the final puppy vac. The early vaccinations do not mean they are "protected" or covered.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was planning on putting her through the puppy classes at our Petsmart. Should I wait til a couple weeks past her 14 week shot? The earliest you can take them is 10 weeks. Also, Petsmart has a free New Dog Orientation I was going to take her to this weekend, they take up to 8 dogs there, and they can't be sure of their shots. Should I not go to that? Or go and not put her down?

Also, can she catch anything from a cat? We were going to go to my BIL's house this weekend, and I've never left her alone before for more then 20 minutes or so, I wouldn't want to now. Anyways, they have a cat. She probably won't even go near their cat, I won't let her. But just in case? The cat has all his shots.

Also, should she be getting the Corona shot?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Definitely don't let her down in Petsmart till a few weeks after the last shot, that's the easiest way to get a puppy sick, so, I guess wait on the other bit as well. Its so much cheaper to be safe than sorry ;)

No the Corona shot is a waste and has a high incidence of reactions. Doesn't actually protect them from much of anything either.

They can't catch things from kitties I don't think ;)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
We had the Banfield pet plan for Rylie, and we ended up getting out of it early due to a loop hole when we moved.

I would NOT recommend the Banfield plan. They tried to push so many different vaccines and meds on us... some of which weren't covered.

Anyway, I find it to be much cheaper to pay for the services as you go at your chosen vet, rather than having a Banfield plan.

Emma's spay was about $150 with blood tests and pain meds. We use a holistic vet, too, who recommends raw diets and limited vaccines.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
We had the Banfield pet plan for Rylie, and we ended up getting out of it early due to a loop hole when we moved.

I would NOT recommend the Banfield plan. They tried to push so many different vaccines and meds on us... some of which weren't covered.

Anyway, I find it to be much cheaper to pay for the services as you go at your chosen vet, rather than having a Banfield plan.

Emma's spay was about $150 with blood tests and pain meds. We use a holistic vet, too, who recommends raw diets and limited vaccines.
Yeah.....like I said earlier.....we got on that Banfield plan and I wish we hadn't now. We just got it early December so we still have a long time to go on it. I think we are going to start speaking up and questioning things now, esp. since they are pushing stuff on us that's not covered by their "plan"!!!!:foxes15:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So turns out Bella got the DAPP shot. I just got Bella's litter sister, and she hasn't had any shots yet. Should I go get hers done next week? Or wait til 13/14 weeks? And Bella and her can have their final shot together?

They will be 10 weeks old on Saturday.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I've never had the Banfield plan but I wouldnt' get it, they push/make your dog have EVERY shot available which isn't always necessary and can do some damage especially with the little ones. I would look into getting pet insurance instead. I have also heard that they make it EXTREMELY hard to get out of, such as a dog died and they had to pay for the plan until the contract end date.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts