Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon.com : DoggieLawn Disposable Dog Potty, SPACIOUS 24 3/4 x 21 inches *REAL* grass : Pet Training Pads : Pet Supplies

What do you think? I'm having issues with consistency, I try to take her out often but most of the time she just sniffs and picks at the grass and wants to keep going...i think she tries to make it into a walk...loads of distractions she is not ready for apparently. She seems to have an obsession with a neighbor's husky that she really wants to get at...they stare at each other while the husky is in the window and my puppy whines at it.

Anyways, I'm thinking since this is real grass she won't get it confused with like carpet or rug like people says happens with fake grass. Was thinking of putting it out there on the patio to get her used to pottying outside & on grass and she would have easier access to it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kip will ring the bells when he needs to go out and he's never rung them without "cause", but it might take a 10 minute walk before everything has happened. It'd be nice if they would eliminate on command, but I think they need to be older and well trained for that.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You might be able to use a word, such as "go potty" or "hurry up" to train her to eliminate on command. They also sell potty-training sprays that might encourage her to use the lawn, or else it might also help to take any poop she puts on the carpet into the yard, so that the yard smells like a toilet for her.

Something like this:
Nature's Miracle House-Breaking "Go Here" Spray at PETCO

Put it in the part of the yard that you want her to use as the bathroom, and bring her to it immediately after you take her outside. Don't let her play out there, until she goes.

How to Teach Your Dog to Eliminate on Command

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might be able to use a word, such as "go potty" or "hurry up" to train her to eliminate on command. They also sell potty-training sprays that might encourage her to use the lawn, or else it might also help to take any poop she puts on the carpet into the yard, so that the yard smells like a toilet for her.

Something like this:
Nature's Miracle House-Breaking "Go Here" Spray at PETCO

Put it in the part of the yard that you want her to use as the bathroom, and bring her to it immediately after you take her outside. Don't let her play out there, until she goes.

How to Teach Your Dog to Eliminate on Command
Oh I do tell her to go potty and I wait and wait and try to keep her on track on the grass to encourage her. She diddle daddles. Most of the time she just wants to go explore, even though I've brought her out to go potty because she looked like she showed signs of needing to go. I don't want her to think it was play time, it was potty time. She's gotten too comfortable going potty indoors (on potty pads & laminate flooring). She gets so easily distracted :foxes15:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might help to gradually move her indoor potty toward the door, until it's eventually outside for her to use out there.
Well...she is very particular of where she goes potty in the house. I tried to move it in a place I chose but she just wouldn't give. And I don't really have anywhere closer to the door I can move it. Kitchen is the largest laminate area I can put it on...and my door area that is also laminate...is very tiny and again, I think she likes her potty pads in a private area...her new spot she picked was far end of the kitchen. So its either straight outside, the potty pad, or possibly out on the patio if i can get her to (she won't go out there when I put her potty pad out there, even if I also try to convince her with her soiled one).

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Do you feed meals or leave a bowl of food out all day? One way to make a dog's potty schedule more consistent and easier to predict is to give meals instead of free feeding. Generally if you take her out in the morning/before bed, after each meals, after long naps and after playing a lot, she should need to go. If that's what you already do, then ignore everything I just said. lol

As for just wanting to explore outside, what I did with my puppies was keep the potty times very short so they know it's not about going out to have fun. I also kept them on a short leash and didn't walk around too much, I mostly just stood there. If they didn't do it, I brought them back in, but didn't allow them to walk around the house freely. I kept them in my sight and took them back out not long after. And so on until they did it (which I praised and gave a treat for).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you feed meals or leave a bowl of food out all day? One way to make a dog's potty schedule more consistent and easier to predict is to give meals instead of free feeding. Generally if you take her out in the morning/before bed, after each meals, after long naps and after playing a lot, she should need to go. If that's what you already do, then ignore everything I just said. lol

As for just wanting to explore outside, what I did with my puppies was keep the potty times very short so they know it's not about going out to have fun. I also kept them on a short leash and didn't walk around too much, I mostly just stood there. If they didn't do it, I brought them back in, but didn't allow them to walk around the house freely. I kept them in my sight and took them back out not long after. And so on until they did it (which I praised and gave a treat for).
I kinda do, but the only time her food just sits there is when she hasn't eaten it for one of her meals. Sometimes she will like skip breakfast or whatever to just sleep and will get back to her kibble at lunch and dinner. So she doesn't have like a huge bowl of kibble that she grazes from. She eats when she feels like it and I'm right there when she eats, so I know how much of it she eats and stuff. But after she has eaten...I'll wait until she starts wanting to go where the potty pad is or something and take her out and see if she needs to go, sometimes I think when she doesn't wanna go outside she really tries to hold it in, she is good at that. If she does't go at that time, I will keep taking her out every so often and she will either go or do the same thing of sniffing and wanting to just keep moving forward and not potty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts