Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Callie and I went to my hometown for 2 weeks for a big festival and just got back today. Heres what happened. On friday we went to a block party and Callie got fed way too much people food. (I know, bad mommy, but she was so scared of everybody and the when people fed her she liked them better). Flash forward to saturday morning 5am. Callie starts throwing up. in my bed I might add. She throws up every 15 mins for 2 hours. refuses to eat or drink. by afternoon she seems a little better but still has dierreah. Sunday shes much more spry, eating and drinking, still dirreah. We go to the beach for the afternoon then driving back into town yesterday. Now we're home and she still has runny poop. and I've noticed a small red rash in a few places on her belly.

I don't want to rush off to the vet if its nothing (I didn't go when I was at home because the nearest vet was an hour and 45 mins away and he was on vacation). but I don't want to not go if it could be something serious. Shes eating fine now and I was wondering how long it would take for her body to get back to normal after being so sick on saturday. (today is tuesday). As for the rash could it be from something in the sand?? The only thing I can find online that sounds similar is tick bites but we dont have ticks here in Newfoundland.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
How about calling the vet's office and telling them what happened.
They might say watch her for a few days or bring her in.
Has the diarehea stopped? Do you know what they fed her?

I would rather be safe than sorry.

There are such a thing as sand fleas, I would think that if she's on flea meds that it would work for sand fleas too, but I don't know that for a fact.
Did she go in the water? Do you have sea nettles up there? (little jellyfish)
It could be a food allergy too. So many possibilities.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Poor little girl... I know that if your dog isn't used to people food it can cause a sick tummy and tey would have diarrhea and would throw up..

But I would get her checked out by the vet.. even if it is just a phone call...

Good luck and let us know what happens...

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Poor thing I just got thru a bout of Auggie throwing up and then diarrhea after and everything I read on the internet said wait 24 hours and if they are not better see your vet. In his case he quit throwing up and was better and then got diahhrea. If it has been since saturday i would take her to the vet or at least call :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would definitely call the vet. With all of the diareah and vomiting its really easy for puppies to become dehydrated and that will cause even more trouble. I hope Callie starts feeling better!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I definately agree the dehydration is a major concern. You cannot be sure what nutritional or hydration support the dog is getting since it is hard to measure what goes in vs what comes out. The problem could very well be gastroenteritis or good old stomach upset, but you could have a bigger issue, if your dog was getting a lot of human food from different sources, it could have ingested something innapropriate and be experience symptoms of renal or liver failure. In addition, the vommitting itself causes great discomfort and and your pup probably has a very irritated esophagus from all the stomach acid.

I think it's fair to say you should at least have a checkup and a professional opinion. You can decline diagnostics but your pup should be seen at the least.

-Nate

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Kari said:
Yeah, I agree with everyone. She should really be seen. :wink:
ditto. If only for the excessive diahrrea!
Dehydration is a serious problem with any living creature, and it would be good to know if she is in the clear or not, and get some professional opinions on what exactly caused the symptoms so you could know what to avoid in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts