Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end...........Kemo is peeing in the house. I know he wants to mark because of Bindi but this is ridiculous. No he doesnt have an infection as he holds it all night and day. He hardly ever had any accidents. I clean it up w/Natures Miracle and resolve carpet cleaner. I have been taking him out extra often to keep him empty, what can I do?????? I want to strangle him its so gross. Bindi isnt making any mistakes either she is a trooper, always going on her pads. I cant teach her outside yet I have too many steps to go down and its cold now, she is just 2 lbs or so.

HELP how long will this go on? I am a neat freak so this really really irks me.

Oh and its only in my bedroom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Well first, I'd make the bedroom off-limits, along with any carpeted areas for that matter. I'm a neat-freak too, I feel your pain. :)

Could you confine him to a kitchen? It's easier to clean up solid surfaces. Maybe bring him out to play only when he's on your lap, or when you can keep a very close eye on him. If he behaves himself, keep increasing the time he's allowed out. If he marks, start over with very limited time out. I know it sounds mean, and he probably won't like it one bit, but he's developing a bad habit, one that you don't like ONE BIT, and you need to let him know that you DO NOT approve of what he's doing. Sooner or later, he'll figure it out. No marking=freedom. Marking=jail. :D

Good luck :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,271 Posts
this is the same problem I have with Lily when I take her to my moms as you now - she pees everywhere because there is another dog there even if we take her pout every half hour she will still squeeze a drop out - I dont know what to reccomend as nothing works with Lily and we just have to stay in the conservatory as this has tiled floors
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,153 Posts
Mikey did something similar. He was fully potty trained when I got Karma, once she was here for her short time Mikey was peeing constantly even though I was bringing him outside often. When I got Kismet it started up again. I basically had to rehousebreak him, which sounds bad but it didn't take long. If I couldn't watch him, in his crate he went. He was pretty smart and realized what he was doing.
What I think was confusing Mikey was that Kismet and Karma were using paper and were getting praised for going inside and he wasn't allowed. I got rid of paper altogether and there hasn't been problems since.
Keep on him girl! You'll straighten his little butt out :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Bosco marks in my parents living room only. I don't get it? What is different about that room than any other space on earth? :roll: We just put a baby gate up so he can't go in the room.

Anyway I guess just say NO MARK when he does that and stop him if possible. If he stops, praise him.

Oh and maybe you could buy those thingies that stop dogs from marking...you know, the diaper looking thing. (Am I making sense to anyone other than myself?) LOL

That is all I can think of. Sorry I can't help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tattdangel said:
Mikey did something similar. He was fully potty trained when I got Karma, once she was here for her short time Mikey was peeing constantly even though I was bringing him outside often. When I got Kismet it started up again. I basically had to rehousebreak him, which sounds bad but it didn't take long. If I couldn't watch him, in his crate he went. He was pretty smart and realized what he was doing.
What I think was confusing Mikey was that Kismet and Karma were using paper and were getting praised for going inside and he wasn't allowed. I got rid of paper altogether and there hasn't been problems since.
Keep on him girl! You'll straighten his little butt out :wink:
If I could catch him then that would be good but the lil devil does it so quick- i never see him!!! You are 100% right he sees we praise Bindi but I cant train her outside yet, BUT she goes on the puppy pad. He did once and I did not yell and I caught him, I said good boy on the paper. But this is in my bedroom now where everybody hangs out. I wonder why he waited though, I mean the first two weeks they were great, Maybe if I find pee again then I will crate him, I just dont want him to be confused and wonder why he is being crated then he will never understand.....I might go buy a steamer and really do the rugs good again.
if its not one thing its another *SIGH*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boogaloo said:
Oh and maybe you could buy those thingies that stop dogs from marking...you know, the diaper looking thing. (Am I making sense to anyone other than myself?) LOL

That is all I can think of. Sorry I can't help!
I know what you are talking about--I may have to resort to the doggy diapers as I am not catching him. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Owned said:
Well first, I'd make the bedroom off-limits, along with any carpeted areas for that matter. I'm a neat-freak too, I feel your pain. :)

Could you confine him to a kitchen? It's easier to clean up solid surfaces. Maybe bring him out to play only when he's on your lap, or when you can keep a very close eye on him. If he behaves himself, keep increasing the time he's allowed out. If he marks, start over with very limited time out. I know it sounds mean, and he probably won't like it one bit, but he's developing a bad habit, one that you don't like ONE BIT, and you need to let him know that you DO NOT approve of what he's doing. Sooner or later, he'll figure it out. No marking=freedom. Marking=jail. :D

Good luck :)
Easier said than done, if I gate him then Bindi has noone and we are in and out of the kitchen all night. I have a very weird layout in my house apt. Its carpet everywhere, except the kitchen. I hate this, I may take a bit of everyones advice and mush it toegther. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ozzysmom said:
if we take her pout every half hour she will still squeeze a drop out -
That kills me, sounds spiteful to me. One drop at a time. I swear he is doing it just to tick me off! :evil: Guess what its working!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Owned said:
Kemo's mamma said:
Easier said than done, if I gate him then Bindi has noone and we are in and out of the kitchen all night.
I don't understand. What do you mean Bindi will have no one?
Means they are inseperable and she wont be able to be with him, my house is freezing (long story) we hang in my room cause its able to be made warm. Bindi doesnt like the kitchen much..... Like I said it would be different if I can catch him then he might "get it". I feel if I dont catch him things may backfire (he wont understand the punishment). I think there is "some" jealous issues here with the peeing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
He knows he's doing what he isn't suppose to. As far as I could figure out when we were raising ShihTzu's it's a combination of things. She is getting praised for going in the house (if they could scratch their heads over this they would), he likes her but he's jealous because she is getting part of the attention so he's getting even with Mom (thus the sneaky and you haven't been able to catch him yet). Show him the mess, tell him bad dog (do not rub his nose in it or anything like that but make sure he knows what you are unhappy about) and don't let up. If he goes back to the papers for a while praise him. It is rather re-training but it gives him a smidgen more attention and sometimes that's enough to get them over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,259 Posts
I think it may be because of jealousy too. He is doing it in your room where everyone hangs out. I think he's trying to tell Bindi that you all and that room are his!

Cody did this for a while. Cody and Callie sleep in a crate next to our bed but Annabelle sleeps with us. Cody could not stand that! He would mark in our bedroom every chance he got! Our bedroom is upstairs so we gated the stairs. He only goes up there at night and we put him directly in the crate.

That doesn't really help you but I think you may be on to something thinking he is doing it out of jealousy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hubby had an idea..........to take his pp and put it on the pad, that way he will know what is acceptable.....good idea? I might do that. I have taken him out every 1/2 to an hour tonight! ggrrrrrrrrrrr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
Aaaw I know how you feel, I am a neat and clean-aholic too!
I dont have any ideas other than what the others have said and it might be an idea to put his pee on a pad as your hubby suggested...but just wanted you to know that I sympathise!! Good luck :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Yes I've been having problems too, with Tia. She would go on her newspaper 90% of the time but I got sick of using the newspaper so I switched to a tray of yesterdays news and she'll go near it but she won't step in it to do her business...

Now she's doing things in all the bedrooms and the living room! I don't know what to do. Maybe i should try the pads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
this_natalie said:
Oh ya, and if someone could explain to me what the pads are really? I've never seen one before lol.
:D They are sheets of plastic with a side of absorbing material on top for the dog to pee on that side so that it gets absorbed right away..if you go to the petstore and ask for them you'll be able to see what they really look like..I find they are way better than paper since the plastic prevents the pee from soaking them thru..They're square and pretty big for a Chi to do its business on so they last, for sure, a day or two and they come in packs of 50, at least the ones i have and they are $20 or $23 at Walmart :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Simba's a strange one, if he ever does the toilet in the house(rare) he allways goes into the bathroom and pee's up against the toilet (i think he's half dog half human lol) which i dont mind that much as it is tiled so easy to clean up, he's has never ever pee'd on my carpets which was shocked at cos we rehomed him i thought would be peeing everywhere to mark it. im a lucky girl. :wave:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top