Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow Friday night, March 27, ABC's Nightline will be investigating puppy mills!

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
I think it's good to see the things being put on television, wherever. Hopefully they will in some small way help educate would be owners to avoid dodgy breeders and pet stores.
Well...you can hope.

Puppy farms are now big business in the UK too :(

Barbara x

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is on tonight.

Those of you who watch it please keep this in mind...cross post from another board...

I saw the show on the hog farmer too. I do not think that the majority of farmers hang their pigs from a fork lift. I don't like the way some animals are treated at certain farms but I have seen other large farms that are totally humane. I like to eat meat. The Animal rightist are using anything they can get their hands on to support their agendas and draw bigger support.
The show that will air tonight is sure to turn stomachs and be heart wrenching to watch. What also will be disgusting is the aftermath of the show when all the Animal rightist cash in with donations and more followers to support legislation that has very little to do with puppy mills and much to do with the rights of you and me.
They have found a very effective way to gather support and much comes from people who have no clue what the real agenda is.
The so called 'puppy mill bills' that are slipping into every city start with a small clause that includes all breeders no matter who you are or how you operate. The house bill 1468 in Indiana is a 'puppy mill bill' but for some odd reason it has some legislation that labels anyone who sells over 5 puppies or dogs in a year is a 'Pet Dealer'. You are subjected to any animal control freak knocking on your door and demanding to see your records.
So I hope that people are aware of what a little support to 'stop puppy mills' causes in the long haul.
At the end of the day when the legislation comes to town, we are all criminals. It's like saying that everyone who takes prescription drugs must be labeled a 'drug dealer' because a few select people will abuse the system and sell their prescription drugs. Or like saying all parents are potential child abusers and make a law where every single home in America can be inspected at any given time by any warped minded freak who knocks on your door.
These puppy mills are a terrible thing. There is no doubt about it. But whats more terrible is the stripping of 'our' rights one page at a time because of 'them'.
I ask that when YOU ask others to watch this show and any others like it, to keep that in mind and be careful what you wish for.

Kim Eastwood.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am big against puppy mills, and have seen some awful things. we get puppy mill dogs at the shelter all the time and they are always in terrible shape. I didn't know this was going to be on until it came on then I decided to turn it off because quite frankly I already know all about them and didn't want to see anymore. I do understand your point of view, not all breeders are bad, even if you sell more than five dogs a year. I do think some animal groups are a little aggressive in their tactics.

L

·
0 Posts
I know about puppy mills and have a puppy mill rescue Chi. I didn't watch the show. Like others have said, be careful of these tear jerker shows. Puppy mills are terrible and all of them should be shut down, but don't let all dog owners get shut down in the process.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know about puppy mills and have a puppy mill rescue Chi. I didn't watch the show. Like others have said, be careful of these tear jerker shows. Puppy mills are terrible and all of them should be shut down, but don't let all dog owners get shut down in the process.
Agreed ;-)

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
In the UK the government seems to care little about dog welfare, and negative though it seems I doubt we'll ever see an end to puppy farms, our equivalent to the mills :(

Like most people concerned with dog welfare, I'd like to see all dog breeding tightened up...but again, I don't see it.

Barbara

1 - 15 of 15 Posts