Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I took my 13 month old female to the vet today to be spayed...I also had her baby teeth removed (8!!!) and nails clipped. This vet seems to be on top of it but yikes he charged me $325 - he also ran blood tests first as I told him that she had a bad hypoglycemic event at 9 weeks. Sure enough she was a bit hypoglycemic so they also did an I.V. to make sure her sugar was high enough during the surgery.

My question to all of you is he mentioned that her liver test was abnormal. He said that they can vary from test to test and to retake the test in 3 weeks. What could possibly be the cause of an out of whack liver test. She seems perfectly normal and healthy with the exception of some stinky breath (not body order though). She's only 3.10lbs.

TIA,
Honey's mama

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Actually, I think if you have questions and concerns at this point it might be a good idea to call your vet and ask him what might be causing it.
He knows your baby better than we do. I'm sure there are a few things that might cause it, and he's in a better position to figure it out.
Good Luck to you!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i don't think he overcharged you for all that he has done , if i got that done i would probably pay more......

the stinky breath can be caused by the baby teeth , sometimes they are already loose ....

but i would def ask for a better explanation about the liver test :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I agree - you should check with your vet about the liver test. Are you planning on having another rest done in 3 weeks? I would make sure they explained it all to you when you do - in language the common person can understand. Most vets are quite willing to answer your questions if you ask.

As for the price, I don't think what you paid was out of line for what was done, especially if they extracted 8 teeth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry-I mean't $385-but I didn't pick her up from her surgery, my husband did and being a guy, doesn't seem to get as technical in his questioning; at least about a dog....my husband is the one who told me the vet said that her liver function was high or abnormal-he didn't get much more info. He did say the vet mentioned that if it was high repeatedly, they'd look into surgery. I was reading something on the net about a liver anatomical problem that can cause problems. It didn't say anything about it being common in chi's though.

I will contact the vet in a couple of weeks though to repeat the liver test.

Best, Honey's mom

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't give your husband any documentation (unless they did and he "misplaced" it :lol: ). When Lily has had blood work done I always get a 2 or 3 page printout of all the results, comments, etc. I can't understand most of it but you never know when you might want to refer to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts