Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys in a differnt post regarding Natalie and her new pup.. she was mentioning what papers should come with the dog? Do they have to be akc reigisterd in order to come with papers or what? if anyone could give me more info it;d be great, cause i now have concerns because sera didnt come with any papers except vet things.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Kennel Club registration papers are probably what you are referring, too.
The parents have to be registered to register the litter. I only know of one kennel club that you can register a dog, without papers, that is the Continental Kennel Club (CKC)-they require pictures and a statement that the dog is breed specific and then they will register them.
Not every dog has papers and some people just do not care if they have papers or not. Papers are not always required for the best chi.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Chico came with APRI papers...American Pet Registry, Inc. I had never heard of them. When I asked if he had papers, I ass-u-med the breeder meant AKC papers. APRI will cross register with AKC but AKC doesn't recognize any papers but their own.

Unless you plan to breed, papers don't mean much except a guarantee that both parents were full Chis.

In the past, pups with 'papers' cost more than pups without but when I was shopping around for Chico, I found this was no longer necessarily true.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I told my breeder that i have seen my Chico and I know he is a chi, so I don't need his papers. They will just sit in a drawer anyway. I am not showing him and not breeding, so I know I am saving her $20 by not needing them.(I was too late though, she already registered all the pups) I have had other pure breds and would just put the papers in a file and never looked at them again. I guess they are neat though to look at their backgrounds.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In Canada

It is not legal to sell/trade/barter an animal as purebred without proper papers (CKC, Canadian Kennel Club) or the ability to obtain proper papers. Animals must be microchipped or tattoo'd, if registered. This is Federal law in Canada.

I originally was going to get an unregistered dog, but now I'm glad he's registered and microchipped. Everything is all proper and legal and if I want to breed him at least I can access his pedigree and his offspring could be used to further the breed as there would be no question to their pureness.

I don't plan to breed or show, I plan on getting him neutered so it wasn't really important to have him registered, etc, but for me it's a point of pride that my guy's line can be traced.

The American Kennel Club, Canadian Kennel Club, and United Kennel Club, are the oldest and only official kennel clubs world wide.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well a dog can be pure and not have papers, but without papers, there's no way to prove it and legally you can not sell the dog P/B without papers.

This is the Canadian Kennel Club website.

http://www.ckc.ca/

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
well I dont have any papers with my 2 and they are just my pets and they are pure 100 % they are both neutered and well looked after and thats all its about if you just want a pet I dont think a bit of paper means a thing :wave:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re: In Canada

Katt said:
It is not legal to sell/trade/barter an animal as purebred without proper papers (CKC, Canadian Kennel Club) or the ability to obtain proper papers. Animals must be microchipped or tattoo'd, if registered. This is Federal law in Canada.

I originally was going to get an unregistered dog, but now I'm glad he's registered and microchipped. Everything is all proper and legal and if I want to breed him at least I can access his pedigree and his offspring could be used to further the breed as there would be no question to their pureness.

I don't plan to breed or show, I plan on getting him neutered so it wasn't really important to have him registered, etc, but for me it's a point of pride that my guy's line can be traced.

The American Kennel Club, Canadian Kennel Club, and United Kennel Club, are the oldest and only official kennel clubs world wide.
Where did you get the information that legally a dog has to be microchipped? Because in my city it is optional as to whether or not you have it microchipped, but mandatory that it is registered with the city.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts