Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because it annoys me when people mistake the genders of my dogs, in SPITE of them wearing obviously masculine or feminine colors, I've taken to adorning Jazz's leashes and harnesses with a variety of feminine accessories. I don't buy any kind of special dog stuff, just use people things to feminize her stuff. Here's a picture of the summer harness I bought recently. Tango's is just plain red. I got the lime green one for Jazz, and have put ribbons on it to make it more feminine. They're just little clip on hair bows for a young child. I've also used clip on earrings to attach to a leash or harness. And I also use women's bracelets as collars for Jazz, for added bling. I've gotten her rhinestones and pearls, and beads of different kinds.

Here's a photo of that harness with complimentary colored bows that I clipped to the section where the ring is attached. For added emphasis, I have those same bows attached to her pink leash, just above where the hook is.

ETA: Doh! I just noticed that you can see the same harness with the bow in the new siggy I made! :foxes15:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Great idea! Wish I'd thought of that with my Dobe, Dary - people kept thinking his name was "Daria" and he was such a sweet, passive guy they assumed he was a girl (despite the blue gear). I think I'll order an extra NASCAR day pin for Pablo's harness!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I love it! Everyone always thinks Lilo is a boy for some reason and calls her a he. Poor little girl! I think I'm going to head to Wal-mart and pick up some cute bows to put on her stuff to show she is a girly girl!!

PS. I love, love, love Jazz's ears!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Excellent idea! I'd given up on trying to make my girls' genders obvious... when we took Misty out, in her PINK harness; someone said "Ohh she's sooo cute! Oh wait, is it a she? I just saw the blue collar..."

Yes folks, because a baby blue collar with shimmery rhinestone lettering is SOOO masculine. O_O

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cute!!! Great idea!!!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love it! Everyone always thinks Lilo is a boy for some reason and calls her a he. Poor little girl! I think I'm going to head to Wal-mart and pick up some cute bows to put on her stuff to show she is a girly girl!!

PS. I love, love, love Jazz's ears!
LOL! Yeah Olivia, thanks, I'm pretty attached to her ears, myself. :love2: Do you remember when I first rescued her, how very big and floppy they were? They were so large on her tiny 1+ pound frame, I didn't think they'd EVER stand up!

You know, folks routinely think Tango's female and Jazz is male. I've come to the conclusion it has to do with coloring. Tango's white coat seems more feminine, while Jazz's darker colors make people think of things masculine. From that perspective, it makes sense to me that Lilo would be considered male, as coal black as she is. It makes me so angry when I'm out with mine, and there's Tango in a red, or black harness and leash, very plain (or with Nascar stuff on it) followed by Jazz in her pink harness with her pink leash (and even without the bows, the leash came with a little flower motif) and I've got people asking the sex! Or referring to Jazz as "he" and Tango as "she." Can they not SEE??? :confused:

Hope you found some fun bling for Lilo at Walmart! :hello1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts