Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I weighed myself today - and then weighed myself holding him. He's 5.5-6lbs.. ALREADY!

Is that normal that he would be full grown prior to six months? Am I over feeding him?? He doesn't LOOOOOOK fat. I can still feel his ribs. He's still muscular/lean.

It's CRAZY. When I got him, he was BARELY 2lbs.. now he's about 6!! I can't believe it... How much did YOUR chis weigh at 5.5months/6 months? Is this normal..

How much do you FEED a chi? I give him a small handfull of dry science diet puppy/small breed small bite food.. with half a can of CAESAR.. once in the morning, and once in the evening..

Is that too much.. too little? I don't want him developing a weight problem (such as myself, and most of my animals..)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Guinness will still grow a little more, I'm sure...but the majority of his growth is done now. I would estimate that he will gain another pound or so before he quits growing for sure. If I remember correctly, Bosco was about 5.5 pounds at 6 months and now I believe he is 6.5 pounds at 13 months.

It sounds like you are feeding Guinness OK. You should be able to feel his ribs but not see them.

I feed Bosco and Lola twice a day...and just give them about 15 minutes to eat. After 15 minutes, I take the food away.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guinness's food doesn't even TAKE 15 minutes for him to gobble it down. He LOOOOOVES it.

To me, he still looks tiny. I just can't believe he's sixlbs already. Isn't anything above six though, considered overweight for a chi? Or is that only if I plan on showing him (which, I dont).

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Guiness is the absolute perfect weight. I think five or six pounds is such a good healthy weight for a Chi. Both of my guys are 6lbs. Chloe is three pounds...that is just to small. :) I feed mine twice a day also. However, Bruiser would eat all day long if I let him! :roll:

sandra

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I don't think Guiness weighs too much - Jasmine is 8 mo. and weighs about 5.5 lbs. It's hard to weigh exactly without a proper scale. My vet said at last visit she would probably be around 6 lbs. full grown.

I wouldn't worry if Guiness goes over 6 lbs as long as he isn't chubby. The 6 lb rule is for showing only I think. Actually, my vet told me that the "larger" chis usually have less health problems than the real tiny ones.

Tia, my previous chi, weighed between 8 to 10 lbs most of her adult life, and she wasn't fat. She was just a large chi.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
it might not be how "fat" he is but maybe he is taller than most? he goes in to get fixed this month right? you'll be able to get his weight better at the vets with their scale. but it sounds like he is fine for his size.

(chiwi likes a big boy ;))

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
As long as he's not fat I don't think you should worry. Keep in mind that 6 pounds is still a very small dog, just a bit large as chi's go. But I think Frasier is like 7 pounds and his mommy isn't concerned.

Lily looks much smaller than she weighs, if that makes any sense. I mean, people who try to guess her weight think she's 2 1/2 or 3 pounds at the most because she has a tiny frame. She's slender but very muscular because she runs around all day like a maniac so she's actually more like 4 pounds.

You said Guinness was muscular so that might account for it.

I know you guys feel a bit sad when your babies grow up but trust me, they don't lose most of their puppy qualities just because they get older. And your bond with them will do nothing but grow stronger, I promise. :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Rachael, looking at Lily's picture I would have guessed her weight at around 5-6 lbs. Pictures are sometimes deceiving aren't they? I can't remember if I ever mentioned this to you, but I love that pic of Lily - she is just so sweet looking in that pic. Can't explain it, just the impression it gives me.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
chimom said:
Rachael, looking at Lily's picture I would have guessed her weight at around 5-6 lbs. Pictures are sometimes deceiving aren't they? I can't remember if I ever mentioned this to you, but I love that pic of Lily - she is just so sweet looking in that pic. Can't explain it, just the impression it gives me.
The first full summer that I had Lily I brought her to an office cookout so everyone could meet her. You should have seen the jaws drop when they saw how tiny she was. From her pics (of which I have about a gazillion in my office :lol: ) she looks twice as big as she is. She's really just a wee thing.

I practically melt every time I look at that pic of her. To me, it is the very essence of Lily. When I'm 107 and thinking my last thoughts on earth, that's the image that I will hold in my mind and in my heart. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup - Guinness is going to get *nipped* on the 23rd of this month. I am extremely nervous because it'll be the first time that he is being put under. Hopefully getting him fixed will fix some of the new issues that are coming from him.. Like food agression towards his food from the other animals. He also was really moody at the dog park yesterday.

I am sure this will pass, lol. (I HOPE)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
AlekonaKini said:
Yup - Guinness is going to get *nipped* on the 23rd of this month. I am extremely nervous because it'll be the first time that he is being put under. Hopefully getting him fixed will fix some of the new issues that are coming from him.. Like food agression towards his food from the other animals. He also was really moody at the dog park yesterday.

I am sure this will pass, lol. (I HOPE)
cosmo and paris are going in on the 24 th :shock: i'll cross my fingers for you if you do it for me :wink:
cosmo is also almost 6 months and weighs 5,5 pounds!! he was also 2 pounds when i got him at three months :D

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
To me it sounds like he is just at the ideal weight aslong as he is not fat, and as long as you cant see the ribs im sure your Chi is fine. :wave:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, how old is Yoda?? LOL.

As for Guinness.. I can see his ribs when he breathes normally. So he's not fat. He has some nice leg and arm muscles.. and is very broad around the chest. He's a manly man!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Ozzy was 6 pound at 6 monthds and now at 18 months he is 7 pounds they just bulk out and even up until they are one :wave:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts