Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last two days I have noticed that out of the blue Yoshi acts like he is gagging or going to throw up and then without throwing up he is fine again?? Has anyone ever experienced this. It is not often and not after meals it is just random thoughout the day.

·
Registered
106 Posts
choking ?

Maybe he has something caught in there ? My little Chassis did this after eating some of that dehydrated chicken..

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Are you sure it's not reverse sneezing? Cooper "reverse-sneezes" out of the blue, usually when he gets excited or he knows something good is about to happen (like treats). He also does it at random times.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
choking

It is actually more like he is gagging than sneezing and sometimes it must come up because he swallows it back (yuck)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
That's quaint. :lol:

It still could be reverse sneezing - that doesn't sound anything like sneezing; it sounds more like they're going to throw up a lung when they do it.

He may be having an upset tummy too. I'd see if he's eating grass when he goes outside ... unless he's like Cooper and eats grass anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
it might be reverse sneezing.. or if you have brought him anywhere with other dogs latley.. a pet shop, park or training class for example.. he could have caught kennel cough.. call your vet if it continues to happen..

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
doesn't sound like reverse sneezing since that is more of a goose honk sound and sometimes sounds like they are gasping for air through their nose.

sounds like a cough that we talked about before. it's like the noise a cat makes right before yakin a hairball right, the "gggaaayyyyyyyyyaaaack" sound? most of my dogs do that after eating, drinking ro just out of the blue. if it's not an all throughout the day thing my vet said not to worry about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It could be that he's clearing his nose of mucous...basically, sucking the snot out of his nose (sorry to sound gross). 2 of my chi's do that. Also when they drink water, they tend to do the "goose honking" thing, I guess water is going down the trachea. It's probably not collapsing trachea, beause that usually happens from pressure being place on the throat, like a collar (when the dog pulls). One of the chi's has that and we switched to a soft dog harness that really works well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts