Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious how much everyone actually feeds vs
what the feed calc suggests for their size. I know it's
simply a guideline, I'm just curious what most people feed.

For example, Mimi is weighs 4 pounds, which means she
should be eating around 1.92oz a day. However, she was
losing weight on that much food. When I first started her
on raw my vet suggested she lose close to a pound, and
she did.

Now while trying to maintain her weight I'm feeding her about
3oz daily, some days 3.5.

Jax weighs 4.8 lbs. His suggested feeding is a little over 2 ozs.
He is very active. Right now I'm feeding him 3.5-4 oz daily.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody is 5 pounds and needs about 5 ounces to maintain his weight. He's very active. I usually do ounces in the am and 3 ounces in the pm. He gets very few snacks.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brody is 5 pounds and needs about 5 ounces to maintain his weight. He's very active. I usually do ounces in the am and 3 ounces in the pm. He gets very few snacks.
Tracy,

Every time I see you mention how Brody is very active, I always
imagine him out on these epic adventures, like he's the Harrison Ford of
Chihuahuas! :coolwink:

(Mimi and I are huge Brody stalkers...err, FANS, I meant fans! :D )

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Kerri is 8 months old- so still a bit of a puppy. I think she is done growing at 5.8lbs and she eats 6-6.5 oz a day of food, plus lots of training treats in the form of some cooked meat. She is very, very active but still I am amazed how much food she can put into that little body!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Mine all range from about 4.5 to 7 pounds. They are an active pack always on the go. They also get a good walk every day (about 1.5 miles). They all have exactly the same 3oz split into 2 meals but they do get a little snack at lunch time, usually some kind of chew like fish skin or a piece of cooked chicken or something like that.

My biggest chi, Poppy is currently on the green bean diet, she's got everso slightly fat bless her :)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Ours get almost twice the suggested amount! Both are young and active and tending toward lean, Harley looses weight very easily so we are constantly trying to feed him up. TBH I don't regularly weigh their food now, I prefer to feed by eye, if I think Bambi is putting weight on she gets a little less, if Moo is looking skinny he gets a little more, but the amount I start out with is about twice the recommended weight.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Ote's suggested amount was about 1 oz. but I felt that it was ridiculous to feed her that small of an amount, so I give her between 2 and 3 oz. Usually a little over an ounce in the morning (bone-in) and an ounce in the evening (no bone).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel like the better quality the food is the less they need to satisfy their hunger. My baby came from a home who was feeding him very low quality food full of fillers and byproducts. I kept him on it while I researched which kind of food was going to put him on. He was already extremely chubby for his size and definately needed to loose some weight. I felt like he was constantly eating and would binge everytime I put food out for him. I finally decided on Wellness Super5Mix puppy food and I immediately noticed a change in his appetite and his overall energy levels. He is approximately 4.5 pounds and eats about 4 ouces a day split up into 2 servings, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Those two servings seem to satifsy his hunger and hold him until his next feeding.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Tracy,

Every time I see you mention how Brody is very active, I always
imagine him out on these epic adventures, like he's the Harrison Ford of
Chihuahuas! :coolwink:

(Mimi and I are huge Brody stalkers...err, FANS, I meant fans! :D )
hahaha you can stalk us all you want. So funny. Now I have that picture in my mind of Brody in that hat Harrison Ford always wore in those movies. He needs a little whip! LOL!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Wow! I feel like I'm under feeding my girl now in comparison to everyone else lol. I feed my Chi 4oz daily and the calculator recommends 3.5oz daily for her ideal weight (7.5 pounds). She's not active though, but acts like she's starving ever since I started raw. Should I increase her amount?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Only if you think she is too skinny and want her to put on weight. If she looks good on this amount then keep her on it. I always 'feed by eye' whether it's dogs, horses, guinea pigs or whatever. The guide is just that, a guide, every animal is different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts