Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through many pages of the Nature's Variety Raw thread, but am still hesitant to go raw. I have listed a number of raw dehydrated alternatives and wondered if anyone has tried these or successfully feeds these? I'm presently leaning towards Addiction Dehydrated and ZiwiPeak. I'm currently feeding Boone a rotation that includes Orijen and Wellness.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I've heard good things about the Ziwipeak. Teresa, on here, TLI, is using it right now and really likes it. She'll probably comment when she sees this. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Don't forget about Wysong Archetype. It's one of the top rated raw foods out there.

I think these are a great way to ease into raw. Or just to give them variety and something different that is healthy for them.

Brodysmom

·
Registered
14,441 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I personally like Ziwipeak best out of these choices. It more closely mimics raw feeding IMO. There are no potatoes and other veggies in it as opposed to the others mentioned. Those things aren't going to hurt, but if you were feeding raw you wouldn't be feeding those things unless you give them as a treat. It is however expensive. For a 2.2 lb. bag it costs me $24.00. I mix that with a bit of EVO 95% canned Venison. My guys have allergies, so this seems to be the best way for us to go because the ingredients are very limited. So far they love it, and I do too. Lexie's eyes already don't water as bad, her scratching is down to 20%, and I'm quite sure it will completely disappear soon. They all seem more energetic, and they only poop once a day, and it's a very small amount. I don't mean to sound gross, but the size of the stool is even smaller. No more straining for any of them.

Oh, and as far as the cost of it, they eat so little of it. A 2.2 lb. bag will last me a month with 4 pups. Jade is now eating it as well, just not as her sole diet. Since she is still young I feed her puppy food too with the extra carbs and fat for growth.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Teresa, it's great to hear your positive feedback on Ziwipeak. Both my dogs were doing great on raw for the first week but then Pebbles started to get dirrhea and a little bleeding (probably from straining) and she started turning away when i had raw food (not Shadow though, she LOVES her raw and is doing great on it). I've been feeding her boiled chicken etc to help get her stools back on track and she's a lot better now but i was reading up on Ziwipeak and thought maybe it is gentler on the stomach then plain raw meat but still as good for them. Since your guys have allergies and are doing great on it i may just give Pebbles a try!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
T- are you feeding the venison ziwipeak? I looked at the website and there were a lot of choices. I wonder if Brody would like it?

Brodysmom

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Teresa, thank you for the info! I took a "quick break" from work and picked up a sample of the Daily-Dog Cuisine Venison, I also picked up their venison treats.

Boone doesn't have any serious allergies, but he bites his paws and scratches his face after eating. He also has big stinky poos :-( And he's a picky eater! Drives me crazy when he decides he doesn't want to eat his food anymore!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Teresa, it's great to hear your positive feedback on Ziwipeak. Both my dogs were doing great on raw for the first week but then Pebbles started to get dirrhea and a little bleeding (probably from straining) and she started turning away when i had raw food (not Shadow though, she LOVES her raw and is doing great on it). I've been feeding her boiled chicken etc to help get her stools back on track and she's a lot better now but i was reading up on Ziwipeak and thought maybe it is gentler on the stomach then plain raw meat but still as good for them. Since your guys have allergies and are doing great on it i may just give Pebbles a try!
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear about that. We certainly don't want them to have diarrhea and rectal bleeding. That is always very scary. You can also use canned Pumpkin to firm up her stool. And plain yogurt is a Godsend at regulating their digestive system, and it works fast.

Chance has the most sensitive stomach I've ever seen, to the point that he would stand and arch his back in pain with his head laying on the ground. Talk about him being miserable, and me being miserable having to see him hurt like that. But I can honestly say that all of our problems have resolved with ZiwiPeak so far. We haven't been on it very long, but I am thinking this is definitely what we’ve been searching for.

Give it a try, and please let me know how you like it, and how the pups do on it.

T- are you feeding the venison ziwipeak? I looked at the website and there were a lot of choices. I wonder if Brody would like it?

Brodysmom

Yeah, we are using the Venison. I also mix it with EVO 95% canned Venison. I actually use the "Magic Bullet" to shred the ZiwiPeak. It was taking them too long to eat it whole. It's small pieces, but jerky is tough. So they like it much better this way. I mix it all up and they go at it great. Much better than any other food I've tried. L & C are so darn picky, but they seem to love it. I can't be positive Brody would like it, but I think it's worth trying. Let me know if you get it, and how he likes it, k.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Teresa, thank you for the info! I took a "quick break" from work and picked up a sample of the Daily-Dog Cuisine Venison, I also picked up their venison treats.

Boone doesn't have any serious allergies, but he bites his paws and scratches his face after eating. He also has big stinky poos :-( And he's a picky eater! Drives me crazy when he decides he doesn't want to eat his food anymore!
You're very welcome! I totally understand food problems, so I enjoy being able to help if I can. We have had so many food trial and errors. It's enough to drive you mad! :lol:

Chi's are typically picky, so I'm hoping that they don't "like" this for a few months, then decide they want something else. We don't have many other options with the allergies. I believe the treats are actually the same thing as the food, it's just in smaller bags. :wink: It may be cheaper to buy it like that though?

I wish you the best of luck, and please keep me posted on how you guys like it. :) You'll notice a BIG change in his poos.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Thanks Teresa. It was very scary to see her like this. I gave her boiled chicken, a little bit of rice and some pumpkin. Everyone is saying canned pumpkin, is there a difference between this and fresh pumpkin cut up and steamed? Haven't tried the yoghurt, i thought dairy wasn't good for dogs, i'll give that a go when she's not doing too good, thanks for the tip! Poor Chance! I can't believe how sensitive these little guys are sometimes :(

My order of Ziwipeak (venison) came today so i'll let you all know how i go and would love to hear how Boone goes too Tara :D

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Thanks Teresa. It was very scary to see her like this. I gave her boiled chicken, a little bit of rice and some pumpkin. Everyone is saying canned pumpkin, is there a difference between this and fresh pumpkin cut up and steamed? Haven't tried the yoghurt, i thought dairy wasn't good for dogs, i'll give that a go when she's not doing too good, thanks for the tip! Poor Chance! I can't believe how sensitive these little guys are sometimes :(

My order of Ziwipeak (venison) came today so i'll let you all know how i go and would love to hear how Boone goes too Tara :D
I can imagine you were heartbroken! :( Nothing worse than seeing your baby in distress.

I would think fresh pumpkin would be even better, but I've never tried it. Yogurt is something every dog owner should keep as a staple. It is awesome at regulating their digestive system. If you start it early when you see that their poos are off, it will clear it up in no time. Cottage cheese is said to be good too, not for their digestive system, but just healthy in general, and it's dairy. They also love cheddar cheese, which is the base of many dog treats, so I guess some dairy is fine? But I don't think I would give them Milk?

Oh I agree totally! They are very sensitive! Little toots! Let me know how you guys do. I'll be anxious to hear a report. :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I didn't see The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw mentioned yet which is what I've tried before. I've tried The Honest Kitchen Force and Embark formulas and got excellent results with both formulas. If it weren't so expensive I would keep them on it or at least include it in my rotation. I was very happy with The Honest Kitchen and if I were only feeding chihuahuas then I'd be more likely to feed it more often but with a husky who eats a major hole in the wallet it's just too expensive. Good stuff though. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Teresa, the treats are similar, but are missing liver, tripe, heart, kidney, and the green-lipped and blue mussel. They don't smell quite as sweet and are a bit crispier.
I also give Boone plain yogurt a few times per week and it keeps his tummy happy! :) I have heard about cottage cheese, but have yet to try it.

I gave him some of the sample tonight and a one of the treats later, he loved them both! He kept rolling around on the floor and would run away when I'd try to take it from him LOL I don't know why he always likes to play with his food before he eats it? (But that's only if he likes it :p ) So I know I'm safe to buy a bag, I can't wait to transition him over!

TashaZ I hope you have the same luck I have so far! :)

huskyluv, I have heard of Honest Kitchen. I read that it's finely ground and I'm not sure that Boone would like that? Did you feed it on it's own or add meat to it?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I can imagine you were heartbroken! :( Nothing worse than seeing your baby in distress.

I would think fresh pumpkin would be even better, but I've never tried it. Yogurt is something every dog owner should keep as a staple. It is awesome at regulating their digestive system. If you start it early when you see that their poos are off, it will clear it up in no time. Cottage cheese is said to be good too, not for their digestive system, but just healthy in general, and it's dairy. They also love cheddar cheese, which is the base of many dog treats, so I guess some dairy is fine? But I don't think I would give them Milk?

Oh I agree totally! They are very sensitive! Little toots! Let me know how you guys do. I'll be anxious to hear a report. :)
Well i gave her fresh pumpkin and just steamed it in the microwave. She seemed to be a lot better today :)
Cottage cheese is an interesting one, might try that too. They do get into the cheddar when daddy "accidently" drops some one ht floor :p and when you guys talk about plain yoghurt, you mean greek style yoghurt? or vanilla yoghurt?

Teresa, the treats are similar, but are missing liver, tripe, heart, kidney, and the green-lipped and blue mussel. They don't smell quite as sweet and are a bit crispier.
I also give Boone plain yogurt a few times per week and it keeps his tummy happy! :) I have heard about cottage cheese, but have yet to try it.

I gave him some of the sample tonight and a one of the treats later, he loved them both! He kept rolling around on the floor and would run away when I'd try to take it from him LOL I don't know why he always likes to play with his food before he eats it? (But that's only if he likes it :p ) So I know I'm safe to buy a bag, I can't wait to transition him over!

TashaZ I hope you have the same luck I have so far! :)

huskyluv, I have heard of Honest Kitchen. I read that it's finely ground and I'm not sure that Boone would like that? Did you feed it on it's own or add meat to it?
WOW that's such great news! he's such a little cutie so i'm glad he's happy with his food :)
I'm still at work but now i can't wait to get home and see how they like it. Hope my success is as great as yours :)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Success!!! Well kind of....
They loved it and ate most of it (i think i gave them too much so i'm sure they ate enough) but i think it was too dry. Do you think i can add something to it? Also how much do you feed them?

My two weigh 3kg which is about 6.6lbs and i fed them about 40g which is about 1.4oz.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts

Ah, okay. Maybe what I was looking at was different? I saw some small bags over with the treats, but when I looked at the ingredients it was the exact same thing. The lady that owns the store said they just sell it in smaller bags as treats.

Yeah, I swear by yogurt. Great stuff for their tummies. Lexie & Gia like cottage cheese, but Chance doesn't like any dairy at all. You should give it a try.

Haha, when I first gave it to mine, they rolled on it. Then they ate it. :lol: Mine would always bat their kibble around before they ate it. Not sure what that's all about, but isn't it fun and cute to watch!?! :lol:

I think you will really like the results you get with ZiwiPeak. Don’t be surprised if he starts eating very little. He will be utilizing more from it than kibble, so they don't eat very much.

I'm so glad to hear everything went good! :)

Well i gave her fresh pumpkin and just steamed it in the microwave. She seemed to be a lot better today :)
Cottage cheese is an interesting one, might try that too. They do get into the cheddar when daddy "accidentally" drops some one ht floor :p and when you guys talk about plain yoghurt, you mean greek style yoghurt? or vanilla yoghurt?
I'm so glad to hear that. Healthy babies means happy Mama's. :)

Most love cheddar cheese.

I'm not sure what greek style yogurt is?

It's the same thing as vanilla yogurt, but it's the plain flavor. I have used Vanilla though, and it works the same. If I were going to use it daily I would opt for plain though. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Success!!! Well kind of....
They loved it and ate most of it (i think i gave them too much so i'm sure they ate enough) but i think it was too dry. Do you think i can add something to it? Also how much do you feed them?

My two weigh 3kg which is about 6.6lbs and i fed them about 40g which is about 1.4oz.
Don't be alarmed if they seem to eat much less than with kibble. It doesn't take much of this kind of food to fill them. :) I'm so happy it worked well for you guys!

It is kinda dry, and jerky is tough. What I do is grind the ZiwiPeak and add EVO 95% canned Venison with it. I am using about half and half. The canned gives moisture, and they really like the taste. You don't have to grind it if you don't want too, but it seems easier for mine to chew that way.

The bag says 1.5 oz. for 11 lbs. So that would be 3/4 oz. daily for 5.5 lbs. So just a little more than that for 6.6 lbs. The scoop that comes with it I believe is 1.5 oz. You can reduce that by a little if you add the canned. I just kinda gauge it rather than exactly measuring. :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Yes, it is very finely ground and it was my first time feeding something like this to mine but they chowed right now. It smells pretty darn good so I think that helped a ton in getting them to eat it without hesitation despite being totally different from anything they've ever had.

The Honest Kitchen comes in a variety of formulas. I've only given Force which contains chicken, and I've given Embark which contains turkey. Both Force and Embark come with meat in them so all you have to do is add water and wait 10 minutes then serve. I also have Preference which I haven't opened yet but it is the formula that you add your own meat source to. Based on my experience with The Honest Kitchen so far, I love it. If you want I can give you the email for the lady that sent me samples, she has two chihuahuas of her own and was so helpful in getting me free samples. Just PM me if you want her email to request samples.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts