Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My name is Grace and I just joined this AMAZING site. It has been very helpful for alot of my question when I first received my little chihuahua boy, Koda. Koda is about 8 months old and when I first adopted him we lived in a house that had about 4 other dogs big and small. Well to make a long story short we had to move from that place and now we live on our own it has been about 3 or 4 months since then and I feel that Koda needs more than just human interaction but dog interaction as well. He tries to play with every adult dog or cat we come across but none of them ever shows interest in him.

I have decided to get another chihuahua puppy but I have a few question as the type of gender it should be. I recently got Koda neutered so I was thinking about getting a female (which I would get fixed as well) but a lot of sites and people I have asked always tell me that male dogs are sweeter and easier to train. Koda is very sweet and he loves every person or animal he meets and he hardly ever barks.

I want to get a new companion for him that will be just as playful as he is and to give him abit more socialization than I can give him. So I was wondering if there truly is a difference between the two genders of dogs. I do not mind getting either gender but the breeder that I have been watching and keeping track of said that 5 out of the 6 chihuahua puppies are female. Sorry for the long post I just like to listen to others feedback and other fun facts. Chihuahuas are amazing pets/friends.

Premium Member
Hi and welcome! Koda sounds like an awesome guy. My first chi is a male as well and he is as sweet as pie, his name is Bailey. A couple months after bringing him home I knew he needed a companion. So I brought home a female long coat chi named Kendall. And within a few months they became best buds. And it was the best choice I'd ever made. I now have 4 chi's, 3 long coat girls and 1 boy. I would describe my boy and my second youngest girl as the sweetest. It is just their personality. My oldest chi girl is 4 and is very independent and loves kids and other people. While my other chi's are anywhere from extremely shy or athletic and playful. It is your choice whether you want male or female. Every dog is different. So it has nothing to do with male or female when it comes to personality. It is more the personality of the individual dog. If their are certain traits you'd like your chi to have, male or female I'd say look for those traits in your next pup. Usually you can get the best idea of their personality at 12 weeks or older. For me I loved having 1 male and 1 female back when I only had 2. Good luck to you. And we'd love some pics of Koda 馃槉

Registered
I'd leave it to the breeder. Let him/her guide you as to what puppy would be best for Koda. I have 4 females in the house, 'cause I don't want any marking. They all get along, with a few growls if the sheltie gets too nosy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for replying! It has helped alot. I have another question. Is it normal for him to eat alot more after his neutering I have noticed he eats so much more food. I will try to get a pic of him on here soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts