Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did your 1st chi's react when you got your 2nd chi/dog?

I would LOVE another chi baby to go with Louie in a year or so, or maybe sooner if we have our new house sorted, but i'm really unsure about it.

I'm unsure as to how he will react to another dog in his house. It would more than likely be an older dog and not a puppy as I don't feel able to have a puppy while I go out to work.

We have a house rabbit Lou gets jealous of when we give it treats/attention, i'm worried he would be worse with another dog. He previously lived with another dog but since coming home with us he has been a lone spoilt pooch :cool:

Im sure he would get used to another dog after a while but I know i'd feel terrible upsetting him.

He adores cats and at times I wonder if getting a kitten would be easier/better for him than another dog, though he does seen to enjoy playing with other dogs when out on walks. He seems content being on his own but I would like him to have a little friend to sleep/play with when we are out at work.

I know he would adjust, but I can't help but worry that he may feel pushed out.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Every Chi acts different I think. Shayley was already 6 years old when I adopted puppy Kizzie. It was actually very funny to me how Shayley acted she was SCARED of Kizzie the very first night. Shayley ran and jumped on the couch any time Kizzie tried to come near her. It took only a couple days then Shayley "allowed" her to come near her but Shay would have that look on her face like "OH GREAT!" LOL It didn't take long after that Shayley was playing with her and having fun. Now they are best friends and love each other so much!

I think Shayley was already a little older when we got Kizzie so she didn't like when she was biting her butt and just being playful but that's why I want to get another Chi while Kizzie is still "young" (She'll be 2 in June) so that way she most likely wont' be that scared of her. Then again who knows! lol

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awwww Shayley is such a sweetheart!
Louie will be 2 in May, so if we get one in a year he will be around 3 which I think will be about right and will give usand him chance to adjust to our new house and routine etc.

I would really love a pup will have to see when the time comes. Maybe he would adjust easier to a pup as older dogs already have their 'personalities' if you know what a mean where as a puppy is just gooey-brained for a while lol.

Wouldn't mind adopting another older chi like we did Louie, but it would have to be 'the right one' in terms of temperament etc. Would have to be a girl though. I neeeeeed a girl to use all my pink stuff!! :D

I just refuse to pay £800 for 5 year old dogs when I could buy a pup for that. They are so expensive over here its ridiculous. It saddens me that people just see them as money makers and dont care about finding them good homes :( I mean i'm all for giving a chi a good home but £800.....*shakes head* :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Awwww Shayley is such a sweetheart!
Louie will be 2 in May, so if we get one in a year he will be around 3 which I think will be about right and will give usand him chance to adjust to our new house and routine etc.

I would really love a pup will have to see when the time comes. Maybe he would adjust easier to a pup as older dogs already have their 'personalities' if you know what a mean where as a puppy is just gooey-brained for a while lol.

Wouldn't mind adopting another older chi like we did Louie, but it would have to be 'the right one' in terms of temperament etc. Would have to be a girl though. I neeeeeed a girl to use all my pink stuff!! :D

I just refuse to pay £800 for 5 year old dogs when I could buy a pup for that. They are so expensive over here its ridiculous. It saddens me that people just see them as money makers and dont care about finding them good homes :( I mean i'm all for giving a chi a good home but £800.....*shakes head* :(
Oh, Prices are same in US too! But with US dollars..

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I think it will be fine. All three of mine get along awesome!!! The first week is always a little transition for them, but after that all was fine. My hubbie said I could get a forth, but my 3 do so well and none are chewer's, or anything destructive, so would I be rocking the boat lol!!!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Well i got Darla and Daisy at the same time so that was great! lol
When i got Dillon we let them meet outside then brought them inside the house.
Darla and Daisy had a good sniff, the odd growl etc... then just followed him around while he checked out his new digs.
I made sure i gave them lots of praise and attention first too so they didnt feel he was getting it all.
I was always there for a while to make sure it didnt turn nasty, but after that first day Darla was enjoying playing with Dillon.
Daisy took a bit longer, she would growl at him if he bugged her too much, so he knew to just play wit Darla.
After a while Daisy started to clean his ears and eyes and i knew it was all going to be cool haha!
He still plays with Darla and goes to Daisy for snuggles. x

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think it'd be just fine. Gretel was almost 2 when we got Godric at 6 weeks and at first she was skeptical and somewhat curious. She did get grouchy a few times but that was to be expected, she gave him a few yap yaps stay away and went about her business.

Now they're two-peas-in-a-pod. You can't separate them, they still have their disagreements, but they really do love one another and you can tell. They're just about always expected to be snuggling up together somewhere.

So all in all Gretel is roughly 1.5yrs older than Godric and they're just fine, you just have to be sure that Lou gets included in everything. It's easy to get caught up in puppy bliss and leave the baby in the dust.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Best thing i ever did for lily getting Dottie,she has somebody to play with and loves her to bits,i'm sure she thinks she's given birth to her.Just brought her into the house Lily and Simba came over tails wagging and that was it.Yes sometimes there's a bit of jeaulousy and all 3 want a cuddle at the same time .Go for it

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Well I won't lie...even after 5 years, Britney still gets jealous of Butter. Britney loves to meet puppies, she can be quite overwhelming though..will not stop sniffing, licking, or breathing on them :lol: I am glad Butter came into the picture though, because I believe it helped to keep Britney on her feet. :)

Good luck on your decision. Personally I think Louie would love a companion. :ngreet2:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey was NOT amused, however she wasn't an only dog when we got her, we had a Standard Poodle, and Westies. Zoey still thinks she should be an only child ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts