Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2 Chi's, both male and long coats.
The older one is 11 years old, and the younger one is 1 year old. I was thinking of getting a third closer in age to the younger one but I don't know if this would be a good thing or bad? Since the older fellow is not terribly excited about playing and roughhousing I thought maybe a younger one would be a good playmate, that way the older one gets a break. I just worry that this plan could backfire and both younger chis would then terrorize the older one and make his golden years miserable.
Has anyone had an experience similar to this? Any opinions or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
My Sheltie is nearly 15,Lily is 3 and we got Dottie last year as a play mate for Lily.It depends if the old fellow is laid back (my sheltie is) he watches the other 2 play ,Dottie climbs on his back when she's tired and he doesn't mind at all,if he gets fed up with her he'll give her a warning little growl and she backs off and does something else.I have never regreted it

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes, it's wonderful to add to the pack. However before you do, I think you should go to the website at the end of the post. If you read articles and stuff by him, like ways to train and such, then all of the dogs would be happy and calm.

Cesar Millan's Official Website | Achieving balance between people and dogs.

He also has an article about adding new dogs to your "pack", more then one, I believe.

I love this dude (LOL) and his techniques. They always work with my dogs. It makes much sense to use those.

This should help make your dog's golden years enjoyable, and the other pups won't bother him.

Hope this helps you make a new addition to your pack :)

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
In my personal experience, bringing a pup in with a senior dog in many ways kept the senior more active and perhaps 'young at heart' :)

I think it does depend on the dogs, but on the other hand, dogs can adjust to
a variety of situations....not always overnight, but patience is important.

Joie is ~ 11 now, and he's never been particularly 'sociable' However, he's seen two chi's and a 50 pound dog come into 'his house' and is doing fine. He grumbled at first but he came to understand the grumble wasn't going to change anything.

Joie is an extreme case, but as Michelle said, I've never regretted it.
He is very protective of his clan when we are at the park.
And he plays with all of them in his weird, 'Joie' way :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the positive encouragement, I feel it would be a positive move as well. I do love watching Cesar Millan - his show is what turned me on to the Mexican rescues! One last question; since I have two boys should I switch to a girl, or does the sex matter? I have never had a female chi and I am not sure what to expect.

·
Registered
370 Posts
like always, every dog is different n part of it is personal preference n/opinion.i think id get a girl.the boys you have already decided on where in the pack each one belongs.if u get another boy youll have that alpha male response from everyone.you mite get that response from a female,also,but not as strong.plus,its just nice to have variety lol.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I currently have 2 Chi's, both male and long coats.
The older one is 11 years old, and the younger one is 1 year old. I was thinking of getting a third closer in age to the younger one but I don't know if this would be a good thing or bad? Since the older fellow is not terribly excited about playing and roughhousing I thought maybe a younger one would be a good playmate, that way the older one gets a break. I just worry that this plan could backfire and both younger chis would then terrorize the older one and make his golden years miserable.
Has anyone had an experience similar to this? Any opinions or suggestions?
I kinda felt like this too when I adopted Kizzie at weeks old and Shayley was already 6 1/2 but in my case Shayley ended up being more playful and having fun than I thought. My Kizzie is nuts though, she is wild and I knew she needed somebody a bit closer to her age although Shay would play and have fun, she wanted to stop rest where Kizzie didn't at all LOL So we added Kaige to our family. He was 10 months when we got him and Kizzie & Kaige clicked soooo well. You should hear our house every night they are running around like mad dogs! lol So for me everything worked out good and I am soo glad I found Kaige to add to our family. I'm sure you're wanting to add a puppy and I'm sure that would be fine too. Good luck with whatever you choose!! I think your little one would like a new friend to play with closer to age.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I've always had dogs the same age my two dogs right now are young and they love playing with each other.

I think I will always have dogs the same age.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts