Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trimming her furry feet on Monday and I think I nicked her pad :( She yipped but I didnt see any blood. Monday night she started with a slight limp. It's now 2 days later and she still has a very slight limp. Im thinking its probably just sore but my husband is FREAKING out!! I already feel so bad but he is making me feel horrible :( I know which paw it is and Ive checked it out pretty good and I dont see anything. Should I take her in to be checked out anyway :confused:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I am paranoid and probably would. My paranoia costs me regularly...ugh...LOL. LIKE the $290 a week or so ago when I thought MAYBE Bryco ate a chicken bone (cooked). Hah. So maybe wait it out? IF you saw a cut/nick to me it says its just a local problem and is probably OK, but, maybe she hurt the foot when favoring the leg to protect another part of it? Ya never know I guess.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Aww poor little Addy. My fiances previous (crazy) dog once tried to climb/break through a fence and hurt his paw. He kept limping and even threw up and had diarrhea. We took him in the next day because he was still limping, we thought maybe hed sprained something but couldnt find where it hurt. He had actually torn off part of his paw pad :( They gave him something because of the diarrhea/stomach upset, but nothing for his paw. I think that area is just pretty sensitive and takes a bit longer to heal. Id just continue to keep an eye on it and watch for swelling or signs that its infected, it doesnt sound like she needs to go in to me.
Get well soon Addy!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh!!! she's limping on it and not wanting to go outside :( I looked at it and dont see anything :confused: She even stood still a minute ago and held it up. I think its because I cut it but I cant find evidence.

So Im thinking I may just take her in ...in the AM. Maybe Ill take Lacey too for her Rabies. Ugh...she's almost 23 weeks:( I was really wanting to wait another week but I could kill 2 bird with 1 stone :confused:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
What does Lacey weigh now? I can't remember where I heard it, but I didn't think they were supposed to give the rabies shot to animals under 2 lbs?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does Lacey weigh now? I can't remember where I heard it, but I didn't think they were supposed to give the rabies shot to animals under 2 lbs?
Really? She is 1lb 14 oz. My vet....of course didnt say anything to me about it ...but when I mentioned I wanted to wait until she was 24 weeks...she was OK with it.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Since it's been a couple days I'd take her in. I'm not one to jump to rushing to the vet either. I'd say if it was a simple injury it probably would have corrected itself by now. Hopefully it's just a sprain or something that will need a little R&R to hear but it's better to get it checked out just in case it's something a bit more serious.

And I'd probably hold off on the Rabies on Lacey too....

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Poor little girl..I hope it is just a minor injury that will heal soon. Maybe she is jealous of
Lacey and the attention she gets and is milking her nicked paw. That would be humanizing though so probably not.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Please keep us posted, I would be worried about infection if the paw was nicked and she is still in pain 2 days later. I put off Zoey's rabies as long as I could until about a year.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She is still limping this morning. Its been 3 days. I am worried about infection....although I still cant see anything wrong with her paw :(

Ive decided to wait on Lacey's rabies. Thank you everyone for your input. I would love to wait until she is a year old but her spay is scheduled for the end of May. My vet wont spay unless they are UTD on vaccines :(

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Will they do her Rabies the same time she has her spay? Or at least a week or so before? I bet by then she'll have hit 2lbs. Hopefully anyway! LOL

Sorry Addy is still limping. :( Poor baby!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
My vet did Brody's rabies vaccine when he was asleep for his neuter. He also microchipped him at that time and took out a bunch of baby teeth.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will they do her Rabies the same time she has her spay? Or at least a week or so before? I bet by then she'll have hit 2lbs. Hopefully anyway! LOL

Sorry Addy is still limping. :( Poor baby!
They will do it at the same time if I dont have it done before hand. I think she will hit the 2 lb mark by the time she is 6 mos ;)

My vet did Brody's rabies vaccine when he was asleep for his neuter. He also microchipped him at that time and took out a bunch of baby teeth.
That is the plan!! She will be over 8 mos old then and I hope to have her spay, microchip and any teeth extractions done at that time.

my vet did the same for leila as tracy's vet did for brody. Get a bunch done while they're knocked out!
I hope she's feeling better soon. I can't believe it would get infected though. It's probably just still sore. When we get a cut it is usually sore for several days..
That's what I was thinking. I may just give it one more day and see. Our weather is bad today. Thunderstorms and tornado warnings :( I really dont want to be out driving in it if I dont have to.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Poor little girl..I hope it is just a minor injury that will heal soon. Maybe she is jealous of
Lacey and the attention she gets and is milking her nicked paw. That would be humanizing though so probably not.
LOL Debra!!!! Took Addy to the vet today since she is still limping. Vet said chi's are the only breed to "milk" it. He said they will actually limp on the left and forget and then limp on the right.....just to get attention

But she wasnt milking it :( It was actually her shoulder. It kept popping out when he manipulated it. I really dont know how she hurt it except for maybe jumping off the couch :confused: So....cant let her do that or let her go down the stairs.

Got a Rx for Metacam. Going to use that for a week and if her shoulder isnt better...then we go back for an xray.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts