Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to this forum. My life has been pretty crazy over the last 2.5 months. My mini-schnauzer died about 2 months ago.

We waited about a month and brought home a beautiful baby Chi. He bonded right away with my girl yorkie. Actually, she was his favorite toy. Last Friday she was sick, saw the vet, and she has been in the 24 hour hospital since then. She is almost 12 and I'm not sure if she is going to make it.

So..... He is really missing her. He's not eating a lot. I'm very worried about him especially if his new big sister dies.

I feel like he HAS to have another playmate right away. Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to do what's best for him. I'm not sure if he can be an "only" child anymore. They were together about 6 weeks. I'm ok with just him.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I will have a similar situation if something happens to my Sadie. She is 14 and my hound Gibbs is 100% attached to her. I know if something happens to her that I will have to get him a friend and let Sonny (who has been a blessing) out more. Sonny and gibbs are BFFs and I know Sonny will ease Gibbs grief if something happens but I might still have to replace her and I know I will not be ready to do that right away. My heart will be too crushed to even think of that.

You might be in the same situation but you will need to take it day by day to see how things go but prepare yourself if the situation get worse. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
No, your chi does not have to have another playmate right away. It's not imperative. I would allow yourself time to grieve for your yorkie (and your schnauzer too for that matter) before you ever consider getting another dog.

And if you do decide to get another one, it needs to be for YOU, not just for your chi to have a companion. Your chihuahua will be fine either way, and will bond even more closely with you if there's not another dog around.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Your chi will bond to you if you decide not to get another companion. I am so sorry you are going through terrible times. I'll keep your Yorkie in my prayers. On the upside, I'm glad you have a new baby chi to help with this rough time.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am so grateful for all your replies.

Huly, I'm so sorry you are going through this difficult time as well.

I have never had a chi before & he is incredible. He has already bonded with me. Has to be on me, follows me everywhere, you guys know.

He just seems sad & isn't eating as much. I try to encourage him, but if he doesn't want to eat, I pull out the nutracal. However you spell that.

I should find out today what the plan is for my precious little yorkie, Chloé

Thanks again,

Jordan

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I am so sorry. Best thoughts and wishes for your Yorkie. Baby chis graze rather than eat big meals. They take a mouthful here and there, that is enough because their little stomach are so small at first. That is why I recommend free feeding a puppy at least for the first few months they are at your home.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Well, my yorkie is not gonna make it. We brought her home for the night, and will put her down tomorrow.

We made sure that he didn't see her come home. He ate a good dinner, thank god.

Hes a little guy. 19 weeks, 2.2 pounds. Thats why im still concerned about him eating.

I'm happy I found this forum. Will be posting pictures soon. After I have had some time to deal. So far, it hasn't hit me because I'm running around between my two children.

Hugs,

Jordan

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Jordan, I am so sorry about your Yorkie. Enjoy this last night with her and take comfort in the fact that she will pass knowing how loved and cherished she is. Take your tome healing and I will keep you, your Yorkie, and the new Chi in my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about your Yorkie, these fur babies just become such a fixture of our daily lives don't they, I think your Chihuahua will be ok for a while with no companion, when I got my male Chi, I had an older dog my Poodle, and he managed to live a year afterwards before passing away at 19 in July 2011.

There was a small space of time where I only had my one dog, before I added the other and he was just fine, really it's more about how you feel, I think these guys can adapt quite nicely. If you feel you need another dog to fill that gap don't hesitate there is nothing really wrong with it.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I'm so sorry about Chloé. Please know that you don't have to go through this
alone. I know you and I don't know each other(yet), but I have loved and lost
a couple of dogs as well, so if you want someone to talk to I'm here. Hugs.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I feel like he HAS to have another playmate right away. Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to do what's best for him. I'm not sure if he can be an "only" child anymore
Sorry to hear about your Yorkie, hope she pulls through.

I think Chi's are very social dogs, they love their people and they love their pack. If you look at the siggies on this forum there are very few people who have only 1 chi (or even only 1 dog) and it's not just because the people want more dogs, its because the Chi's need the company of other dogs. I had this with my first boy Axle. I brought him home and was planning on him being an only dog for a year. Then I took him up to my parents house where they have 2 dogs and from seeing him with them I just knew that he was not going to be happy as an only dog. I got my girl 8 weeks after my boy and they have been inseperable ever since. I have now added my 3rd and I think the girl is grateful that Axle has someone else to deflect his attention that she had to put up with 100% of the time!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's the thing, he gives me SO much love. Chi's are amazing. I really don't feel a need to add another baby, but I have a big heart and I know it would make him very happy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts