Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3yr old female chi. she is very mellow and loving, but very spoiled.... I take her to my sisters (she has 2 chihuahuas as well) and she loves the other dogs. I am looking to adopt an abandoned 2yr old chi from a shelter ( she was close to d day, and i fell in love)
I will be taking the dogs to meet soon. Has anyone brought in a dog with somewhat special needs? (abandonment issues)
Besides love and affection, how can i make the new addition feel at home? :confused:
How can i help cloey get over jealousey and still feel loved?

Im so excited for our new edition...... :color:

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
When you say abandonment issues do you mean not wanting to be left along? If so, that will take some doing but is doable. It is an anxiety issue and they can be come destructive and also can harm themselves when you leave them alone (some are worse than others). I am not exactly sure how to work through it but I am sure others will chime in soon ;-)

Is your female spayed? Is the female you are getting spayed? You will need to introduce them on a neutral territory, maybe a park or friends house that does not have dogs or pets. Introduce them slowly and off lead if it is safe. Then do the same at your home. I would say only let them have supervised visits if one of them seem aggressive with the other. If not and you feel comfortable they can be down together but I wouldnt crate them together or leave them alone together for the first couple of days/weeks. Then make sure you give them equal love and affection time and do a little more for you girl for the time being so she will not feel left out. If jealousy starts you need to nip in the bud immediately. You can get more advice for that later if it occurs.

Hope this helps ;-) Good luck and I commend you for rescuing this girl :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts