Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! As many of you know, I have Flea - a rescue chihuahua (2 yrs old) from a local shelter. And now...our 2nd chi will be arriving next weekend! We met him the other night - a 2 year old male - TINY as can be (my dog is 4.5 lbs and bigger than him!) - but full of charm and personality. He LOVES absolutely everyone - kids included, loves to be picked up - is NOT a barker, etc. He is truly a real gem. The reason his previous owners gave him up (2 different ppl) is because he was marking all over the house. The thing is, these people never bothered to have him neutered (DUH!) and since he has been - the marking has stopped quite a bit.

Now--my question is this. I have never had a male dog. I fear the marking behaviour could continue. My girl, Flea, pees in a litterbox (I live in a 5th floor apartment in a large city downtown and she is extremely timid, so it works well)...but since he is being trained @ the shelter to go outside - should I continue that? And if I start training him for a litterbox - will this encourage marking behaviour inside? I have heard to maybe have some sort of marking 'cone' that he can pee against in the box. Any input on male dogs and their wee wee habits would be much appreciated!

*(ironically, his name right now is "Ti-Poux" which in French is a rough translation of Little Flea.....and my dog's name is Flea! But I will be changing his name to T-Bone)*

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
That's great you are getting another one. Auggie started marking before i had him neutered but since he was he has stopped. Good luck :D

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
:blob7: I am so excited for you! And I just wanted to say thank you for adopting for a shelter/rescue. They so need good home like yours :D Good luck!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful little Chi! Congratulations! I think I would continue training him to go outside. It might confuse him to do the Litterbox. Also, you can buy "bellybands" to put around his tummy, this will stop all the marking inside. I have seen them online at diferent websites. I have heard they are a lifesaver! You might try that. good luck! :D

sandra

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I think you might want to continue the outside pottying but he might follow your other dog and get in the habit of usig the littler box....

good luck.... :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Yeah continue outside but.....he may see what flea is doing and do it- I think you will have to wing it........I have one outsider and one insider--hoping to get her outside BUT that may not happen we will see.....It is awful easy just keeping her on pads.....I have alot of steps before my feet hit the ground too so I can understand........... :roll:

·
Registered
257 Posts
My Dobbie

I put the piddle pad in the bathroom but I noticed that Dobbie wanted to lift his leg on the wall above the pad. I took a hint from this forum and put down 2 pads, with them leaning slightly on the wall to cover his favorite spot. Then on the pads, I put a closed 2-litter bottle with some water in it to keep it weighted down. This gives Dobbie something to lift against and keeps him off the wall. It is rare that I find he has pee'd high on the pad and not against the bottle.

He has never been one to "mark" his territory. I guess I'm lucky that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts