Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to purchasing 2 new puppies I was looking to adopt but found the process very difficult. Not because I wasn’t approved or fails their requirements but facilities would have photos of dogs that are already adopted or friends got first pick. I found a perfect little Chi and when I called to see if I could pick her up they told me I failed my vet check. I called my vet and they said no one called because they track those calls. Actually the Chi was already adopted a week prior. I tried for almost a year and no luck even per finder never updates their web site. I adopted a cat 13 years ago and went back there to see a Chi mix did all the paper work and never a call so when I called they said they had no paperwork on file for me. It just seems all these rescues want to get animals adopted but for me the process is way too difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Prior to purchasing 2 new puppies I was looking to adopt but found the process very difficult. Not because I wasn’t approved or fails their requirements but facilities would have photos of dogs that are already adopted or friends got first pick. I found a perfect little Chi and when I called to see if I could pick her up they told me I failed my vet check. I called my vet and they said no one called because they track those calls. Actually the Chi was already adopted a week prior. I tried for almost a year and no luck even per finder never updates their web site. I adopted a cat 13 years ago and went back there to see a Chi mix did all the paper work and never a call so when I called they said they had no paperwork on file for me. It just seems all these rescues want to get animals adopted but for me the process is way too difficult.

I experienced very frustrating experiences trying to adopt a retired racing greyhound and a border collie.

I ended up buying two golden retrievers five years apart from a respectable breeder.

I did adopt my Taquitodog from the local humane society.

In general, my experiences with breed specific rescues left a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So many animals need a loving home and the process is a nightmare.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was not able to go through an organization for my rescues either. Chocolate was adopted out after a judge made a bad decision in a DV case and then returned worse for wear and unadoptable.The kitten's mother was abandoned during kitten season and the shelters were full.

Laurel, the Chi mix I bought for $500, is the light of my life but she does have significant health issues and is obviously not the mix that she was marketed as.

ETA: Chocolate's issues have been resolved with time, patience, and love and she is an excellent pet now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just volunteer at my local rescue I will update as I learn more about how it works.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm glad.

I witnessed this woman just abandon her dog in a residential neighbourhood and am furious! I didn't get the license number or even the year and make of the car because it was dark and I was just thinking that the dog was well trained. She got into her car, said something friendly to her dog, so I assumed that she was going to open the passenger's side door for him to jump in, and then she DROVE AWAY!!!!!!!

What kind of a person does that? It was a residential neighborhood. I was parked in front of my music teacher's house and had absolutely no information that could have been of use to the police, but I was afraid he was going to get hit by a car. He was a big boy, part Malamute, and as sweet as he could be. He knew down, but not stay, and I couldn't get him into my car/camper because he wouldn't fit. I'm not supposed to have any more dogs at my house and my music teacher isn't a dog person so all we could do was call the Humane Society and hope that they found him before Animal Control did.

He didn't want to wait with us. I didn't want to see them hurt him or rough him up at all, so I didn't try very hard to make him. I hope I did the right thing.

What kind of a person just drives away and abandons their dog like that? Chocolate isn't a perfect dog and I'm not a perfect dog owner, but what would make a person drive away and abandon their dog instead of putting an ad on Craig's List and giving him to someone who wants a less-than-perfect dog?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad.

I witnessed this woman just abandon her dog in a residential neighbourhood and am furious! I didn't get the license number or even the year and make of the car because it was dark and I was just thinking that the dog was well trained. She got into her car, said something friendly to her dog, so I assumed that she was going to open the passenger's side door for him to jump in, and then she DROVE AWAY!!!!!!!

What kind of a person does that? It was a residential neighborhood. I was parked in front of my music teacher's house and had absolutely no information that could have been of use to the police, but I was afraid he was going to get hit by a car. He was a big boy, part Malamute, and as sweet as he could be. He knew down, but not stay, and I couldn't get him into my car/camper because he wouldn't fit. I'm not supposed to have any more dogs at my house and my music teacher isn't a dog person so all we could do was call the Humane Society and hope that they found him before Animal Control did.

He didn't want to wait with us. I didn't want to see them hurt him or rough him up at all, so I didn't try very hard to make him. I hope I did the right thing.

What kind of a person just drives away and abandons their dog like that? Chocolate isn't a perfect dog and I'm not a perfect dog owner, but what would make a person drive away and abandon their dog instead of putting an ad on Craig's List and giving him to someone who wants a less-than-perfect dog?

Some people are just don't care the world is full of them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My dog, Chocolate, was adopted from a private individual in crisis. The government did not help her so she was fleeing for her life from an abusive husband. She did not trust the same government with her already traumatized adolescent chihuahua mix and reached out to her community instead.

I am not a perfect dog owner and Chocolate will never be a perfect dog, but we love each other and when she joined Laurel and me, we became a family. We deserved a chance to care for this less-than-perfect dog and she deserved a chance to live.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts