Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has, or know of anyone who has adopted a child from CPS (child protective services) ... if so, besides the home-study, classes and criminal history checks etc, what all did you have to do?

We have been discussing adoption for a of couple years now and we have done lots of research. We know that we can not afford a private adoption, but have seen that adopting a child that has become a state ward or one that has "problems" is likely a more affordable possibility for us. We had planned to get a case worker in April to learn more, but the news with my brother has put that on hold!

Anyway, just curious if anyone has any info they could share with me... I am hoping for some stories from others that have been through it. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I worked with a gal who became foster parents with her husband. They had a couple kids come and go and she said that was really hard as they bonded to the kids and took care of them for months and then they went back to the parents. But they said they wanted to eventually adopt and after a very short time, like 6 months, they placed a newborn girl with them and when she was about a year old they legally adopted her. It was a much cheaper way to go, but there was some uncertainty on whether they would get to keep her or not. So you have to weigh that. But it was a great experience for them!

Brodysmom

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that is great for them! We really want an infant, but will likely look from newborn to 5. Depending on the "problems" they have and if they have violent tendencies will be the deciding factor. We have to consider Bailey into whatever we decide. I am not going to put his life in danger and adopt a child that has rage issues.

We have both always wanted to be parents, and while its healing to have Bailey.... its not really the same thing. We are prepared to wait as long as it takes to get the "perfect" child for our family. We aren't going to rush into this and what happens, happens. I've thought about fostering, but I form bonds easily and it would kill me to have the child leave.

May I ask why it took them a year to finalize the adoption?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The foster system is slow, that's why. There are all kinds of hoops to jump through and lawyers and court, etc. They have to show the parents are unfit, make sure there's no other relatives in line for the child, and then prove their own case for adoption. It took a lot of months to get that all going. But in the end, they did get to adopt her. :)

I think it's great you are considering adopting! You will never regret it. :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My uncle and aunt have adopted 7 kids. They went in wanting a 'normal' baby but couldn't turn the kids that no one wanted away. Now, they live for them. Most of their kids came with issues like mild mental retardation or were taken away from abusive homes or have a mild medical issue. At least one was a crack baby. Their kids are a sweet bunch though. Yeah, they had a few problems, but they are just kids and all kids have issues no matter what. The oldest came to them at around 7, the youngest was a just a few weeks. He was a crack baby, it took them two years to finalize his adoption.

As far as I know, it was a background check and a house check and a few other minor bits like that.

But, if you want a baby you may be in for a long long wait.

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, that makes sense! I am glad it worked out for them!!!

Well, like I said we would be going into this to find the child that is right for us. We would like a baby, but we aren't going with that focus. Whatever child feels right for us, is what we will decide on. We are prepared to handle obstacles and issues they may have, to an extent. I don't know that we can handle severe mental or emotional problems, we are unsure if we want to go into the physical issues, unless its something small.

Being a survivor of childhood abuse, I think I can offer a lot to a child that has gone through it. I am in a good place with my emotions and my past issues, so I am pretty sure I can be a positive, uplifting influence on a child in that regard. Its sad to think of so many children out there living in the system because their parents have failed them... :(

Anyway, we are going into this with our eyes open and acceptance for just about everything. Race or gender isn't an issue, but there is only so much we can bite off in regards to specific issues the child may have. Like I said before, I am not going to put Bailey (or my other animals) in danger. I know there is a perfect child out there for us, waiting for a loving home and we are hopeful to be able to bring that child into our lives asap. :)

We won't be doing anything until we know more about my brother though... I need to be able to pack up Bailey and head out of state to be with him if need be! My half-sister is totally not being supportive, but that is just the way she is! :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts