Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took Mia to get her adult rabies vaccination. I thought she was supposed to have it at one year but the clinic said it is one year from her first one. So she just had it at 16 months. They also said she is due for her distemper. I said we'd do it another day b/c I wasn't in the mood to think about it and she's not getting two immunizations at once anyway (my rule).

So now I've been thinking about it. What is the "annual booster" immunization they should allegedly have? Is it distemper? Is it more than one? Whatever it is, I want to get it for her and then we aren't getting anything else for 3 years. I think immunizations last far longer than one year so I'm going to put my on an every three years schedule (when they receive their rabies). They are not boarded and do not go to the groomer so I'm not going to give them immunizations they don't need.

I just want to be sure of what I'm talking about if the clinic tries to offer anything else.

What do you get for yours annually or every three years?

Thank you!

Just found these blurbs on two diff. websites. I guess I'm right in line with the distemper once every three years thing.

"After your dog has received his one-year distemper vaccination, consult your vet about his or her recommendations for adult vaccines. Distemper vaccinations were once recommended annually, but the American Veterinary Medical Association suggests that this is no longer necessary, recommending every three years."

"* 1 year - Parvo, distemper, infectious hepatits and rabies with optional vaccines for Parainfluenza, kennel cough (Bordetella bronchiseptica), leptospirosis and Lyme"

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
This is a hot topic. You will gets lots of opinions. :)

By law (local and/or state government) rabies is required. The other shots are NOT. There is NO law anywhere that says you have to give a single vaccine to your dog, other than rabies. It is your personal choice on whether or not you want to follow the rules in your county/state/jurisdiction. There could be consequences if your dog bit someone for example, and wasn't up to date on their rabies vaccine. Protect yourself and your dog and do what is right according to your beliefs.

Vaccinosis is not exaggerated. There are so many cases of chronic disease, allergies, etc. being linked to vaccinations. Vaccine damage is real and it is preventable.

Personally I don't do annual or even every 3 year vaccinations. The duration of immunity has been proven to last for 7 years at least. Some studies are showing a 15 year duration. IMO vaccines are a cash cow for veterinarians. Do your own research. Make up your own mind. Don't let anyone think for you. Then, decide for yourself how you want to take care of your dog.

Here's a couple links to get you started ....

Vaccinations: A Word of Caution for Our Animals - Part I

Vaccinations: A Word of Caution for Our Animals - Part II

Science of Vaccine Damage

Vaccination protocols

Shots in the dark

Are We Over Vaccinating Our Pets? by Loretta Baughan

So you may wonder, what protocol to use? I personally follow Dr. Dodd's vaccine protocol. It's here ....

Vaccination Schedule Recommendations For Dogs

·
Registered
809 Posts
I follow my state's guidelines for rabies which is every 3 years. I do the puppy series of distemper/parvo boosters. Give one more at 1 year out and then one more 3 years after that. I don't do any more after that.

My dogs travel extensively. They show quite a bit so we are at strange places and around strange dogs a lot. I don't give bordatella and they've never gotten sick. I do think one of them picked up a case but since they are healthy adults they shook it off themselves.

I think vaccine protocol is a hot button topic. Do your research, talk to your vet, and make the best decision for you and your pets.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We personally do the rabies (ONLY because it's required by law). They had one as a pup, one year later & then will get it every 3 years after that.

The Distemper series they had as pups, one at one year & will have them every 3 years after that. Same as the Rabies.

We now refuse any other vaccinations including bordatella, lepto & lymes (the 3 our vets encourage). Matilda, Milo, Maxie & Mari all had the bordatella vacs (required to do puppy kindergarten) but we stopped doing the classes after Maxie (due to the big hyper puppies totally freaking them out). Mari actually got kennel cough from the vaccine. It was mild & didn't require any intervention...but I hated hearing her "cough". I hate pumping these things into them if not necessary...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
We`re lucky as rabies shots are not required
in the state of Ohio.My vet suggested we get it
anyways in case she bites someone.I declined
and he thought I was nuts by the look I got.
I suspect he has a private "opinion" of chis.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We personally do the rabies (ONLY because it's required by law). They had one as a pup, one year later & then will get it every 3 years after that.

The Distemper series they had as pups, one at one year & will have them every 3 years after that. Same as the Rabies.

We now refuse any other vaccinations including bordatella, lepto & lymes (the 3 our vets encourage). Matilda, Milo, Maxie & Mari all had the bordatella vacs (required to do puppy kindergarten) but we stopped doing the classes after Maxie (due to the big hyper puppies totally freaking them out). Mari actually got kennel cough from the vaccine. It was mild & didn't require any intervention...but I hated hearing her "cough". I hate pumping these things into them if not necessary...
I follow my state's guidelines for rabies which is every 3 years. I do the puppy series of distemper/parvo boosters. Give one more at 1 year out and then one more 3 years after that. I don't do any more after that.

My dogs travel extensively. They show quite a bit so we are at strange places and around strange dogs a lot. I don't give bordatella and they've never gotten sick. I do think one of them picked up a case but since they are healthy adults they shook it off themselves.

I think vaccine protocol is a hot button topic. Do your research, talk to your vet, and make the best decision for you and your pets.
This is what I thought I'd do too. Mine have had all their puppy vaccinations. After that we'll do rabies (required) and probably the distemper every 3 years too. Actually I just spoke to my vet's office and found out that the rabies vaccination they gave Mia last week was a one- year vaccine! That pisses me off and of course they didn't bother to tell me that beforehand or at the time. It also pisses me off that they want to charge an office visit to administer a vaccine (distemper). They didn't charge an office visit for the rabies b/c it's required by law. If my dog needed a checkup, I'd get her one. She's fine. All she needs is an immunization and that's all I'd like to pay for. (I just hate being told what to do--that's probably at the very root of my issue. :) ) I feel like I'm being held hostage.
But that's OK, I just talked to the vet on Tinker AFB and they will just charge for the distemper ($15 vs $59) so my vet can bite me!
But I digress...sorry.
Thank you all!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
This is what I thought I'd do too. Mine have had all their puppy vaccinations. After that we'll do rabies (required) and probably the distemper every 3 years too. Actually I just spoke to my vet's office and found out that the rabies vaccination they gave Mia last week was a one- year vaccine! That pisses me off and of course they didn't bother to tell me that beforehand or at the time. It also pisses me off that they want to charge an office visit to administer a vaccine (distemper). They didn't charge an office visit for the rabies b/c it's required by law. If my dog needed a checkup, I'd get her one. She's fine. All she needs is an immunization and that's all I'd like to pay for. (I just hate being told what to do--that's probably at the very root of my issue. :) ) I feel like I'm being held hostage.
But that's OK, I just talked to the vet on Tinker AFB and they will just charge for the distemper ($15 vs $59) so my vet can bite me!
But I digress...sorry.
Thank you all!
Your vet is not being honest with you. The 3 year rabies and the 1 year rabies are the EXACT SAME THING. The only difference is the packaging.

Dog Vaccinations: What's The Difference Between The 3-Year Rabies Shot And The 1-Year Rabies Shot? - The Fun Times Guide to Dogs

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your vet is not being honest with you. The 3 year rabies and the 1 year rabies are the EXACT SAME THING. The only difference is the packaging.

Dog Vaccinations: What's The Difference Between The 3-Year Rabies Shot And The 1-Year Rabies Shot? - The Fun Times Guide to Dogs
I'd like to be shocked, Tracy, but just can't muster it up. It figures! I hate money grubbers!
I'll just go back to Tinker AFB: Rabies is $10 and Distemper is $15
Mia had all her immunizations there.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'd like to be shocked, Tracy, but just can't muster it up. It figures! I hate money grubbers!
I'll just go back to Tinker AFB: Rabies is $10 and Distemper is $15
Mia had all her immunizations there.
Yeah, I think alot of the whole vaccine thing is a money issue. Let's just be honest - that's where vets get a lot of their money. If a dog is healthy, at least they get them in for vaccines! Plus add on their office call, and that's at least $50 right there. That's why the veterinary community really fought hard against the 3 year vaccine schedule. Research has proved immunity way past the 7 years, but you won't find the AVMA endorsing that just yet.

The legal snafu you may run into will be that your vet has documented that your dog has had the 1 year vaccine. So that may not satisfy the powers that be in your city for registration and licensing.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
All of my dogs were adopted as adults and came to me after having already had all their adult boosters. With that said the only vaccine I get is the 3 year rabies, which I get every three years obviously, as required by law.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I think alot of the whole vaccine thing is a money issue. Let's just be honest - that's where vets get a lot of their money. If a dog is healthy, at least they get them in for vaccines! Plus add on their office call, and that's at least $50 right there. That's why the veterinary community really fought hard against the 3 year vaccine schedule. Research has proved immunity way past the 7 years, but you won't find the AVMA endorsing that just yet.

The legal snafu you may run into will be that your vet has documented that your dog has had the 1 year vaccine. So that may not satisfy the powers that be in your city for registration and licensing.
Unless Mia bites someone (not gonna happen), that should never become a problem/issue. I only care that she is immunized from rabies for three years (and from what I just read, she is). I'm not aware of any other registering or licensing requirements here.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Reading about money grubbing makes me very sad, it should be for the welfare of the animal :(

I'm very fortunate to have found my vet, I think his office cost is $20 for instance I go in just for a checkup no medicine or vaccines, but if we go for medicine it's usually just medicine cost, perhaps a little inflated but never over $25. If I recall correctly his vaccine is the same, except the last which includes rabies it's a bit more.

I trust him to give me insight on vaccines and such as he's yet to steer me wrong yet and if I recall correctly he may do rabies every 3 years, though i'm not sure.

It's hard to find honest people these days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all, I'm new on here but I figured I'd add my opinion to this. Vets are required to give a 1 yr rabies vaccine for the first rabies vax and then after the dog has had this, they give a 3 year vax. The reason? The dose of the vaccine. I've been vaccinated against rabies myself and the vaccine is QUITE nasty. I ended up flu like symptoms for a week (and I had to get the injection 3x so yeah that was a lot of fun). I'm a stickler when it comes to rabies vaccinations because *if* your dog were to bite someone (and let's face it dogs are animals and though they might be sweet as anything 99.9% of the time, there's still always the chance that something provokes them and they could transfer their bite to a human) without a rabies vax, there would be a pretty high chance your dog would be euthanized immediately. Rabies is only diagnosed post mortem and so they would euthanize the dog to check it for rabies since it has no vaccination history. A lot of states are more lax on it but in areas where rabies is alive and well (we just had a case of rabies in the ER in my hospital), this policy is strictly adhered. While you don't have to go to a vet, you can go to a clinic to save money and what not, I'd certainly agree that rabies is 100% necessary. Too bad we all don't live in Australia where rabies doesn't exist!

As for distemper, I can't afford the expensive titers so I do vaccinate annually. Though I've never seen a dog with distemper, I have seen a cat affected by it which was enough for me. However, I do understand that vaccines are an issue for a lot of people (in both kids and dogs alike). I wonder though what more organized pet insurance would do for this issue....

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey all, I'm new on here but I figured I'd add my opinion to this. Vets are required to give a 1 yr rabies vaccine for the first rabies vax and then after the dog has had this, they give a 3 year vax. The reason? The dose of the vaccine. I've been vaccinated against rabies myself and the vaccine is QUITE nasty. I ended up flu like symptoms for a week (and I had to get the injection 3x so yeah that was a lot of fun). I'm a stickler when it comes to rabies vaccinations because *if* your dog were to bite someone (and let's face it dogs are animals and though they might be sweet as anything 99.9% of the time, there's still always the chance that something provokes them and they could transfer their bite to a human) without a rabies vax, there would be a pretty high chance your dog would be euthanized immediately. Rabies is only diagnosed post mortem and so they would euthanize the dog to check it for rabies since it has no vaccination history. A lot of states are more lax on it but in areas where rabies is alive and well (we just had a case of rabies in the ER in my hospital), this policy is strictly adhered. While you don't have to go to a vet, you can go to a clinic to save money and what not, I'd certainly agree that rabies is 100% necessary. Too bad we all don't live in Australia where rabies doesn't exist!

As for distemper, I can't afford the expensive titers so I do vaccinate annually. Though I've never seen a dog with distemper, I have seen a cat affected by it which was enough for me. However, I do understand that vaccines are an issue for a lot of people (in both kids and dogs alike). I wonder though what more organized pet insurance would do for this issue....
When you say "first rabies vax," do you mean the first one at 4 months?

·
Registered
809 Posts
No, the one given one year after the first one is required to be a one year vaccine even if you live in an area that recognizes the three year vaccine. After that you can get the three year rabies.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
The first rabies shot the dogs get is only good for one year due to the immunity it has nothing to do with the 'dose' as you give the same dose (except some vets give 1/2 doses to smaller dogs) it's 1cc dosing for both shots, it's the EXACT same vaccine (I have worked for a vet for 20 years). Personally I am no longer vaccinating period. Ziva had her 2 puppy shots and that was enough to destroy her immune system (sarcoptes etc). I have done a lot of research, and this is the choice I have made. Zoey hasn't had any vaccines since she was about 16 months old. The holistic Vet I have been talking too thinks a lot of Zoey's health issues/immunity problems stem back to her having vaccines.

The Truth About Vaccines

If I were going to give vaccines I would follow Dr. Dodd's protocol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
NJ/PA require only ONE one year rabies before giving a 3 year (I've had dogs for 20 years here and it's always been that way). My vet also alters the "dose" despite the same vax (1/2 cc for puppies getting their 1 year and a full 1cc for dogs getting their 3 year vax).

As for immune issues, sadly humans have done significant damage to dogs through selective breeding (thanks to a lot of crappy breeders out there). A lot of diseases, ie sarcoptic mange are due to poor genetics (deficient immune systems can be an inherited trait). I'm sure vax can also cause issues with immune systems but genetics/breeding does play a role. This happens to be the case with one of my dogs.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The first rabies shot the dogs get is only good for one year due to the immunity it has nothing to do with the 'dose' as you give the same dose (except some vets give 1/2 doses to smaller dogs) it's 1cc dosing for both shots, it's the EXACT same vaccine (I have worked for a vet for 20 years). Personally I am no longer vaccinating period. Ziva had her 2 puppy shots and that was enough to destroy her immune system (sarcoptes etc). I have done a lot of research, and this is the choice I have made. Zoey hasn't had any vaccines since she was about 16 months old. The holistic Vet I have been talking too thinks a lot of Zoey's health issues/immunity problems stem back to her having vaccines.

The Truth About Vaccines

If I were going to give vaccines I would follow Dr. Dodd's protocol.
It's unfortunate you had to find out the hard way Heather :( It's great you were able to research it and the proof is there, vaccines just are not for all dogs and poor Zoey is the poster child :(

People just so blindly go about immunizing they don't think of the consequences, I work in a drugstore and part of my job is pushing flu shots to everyone and truthfully, they AREN'T for everyone, same case.

I've seen many many many cases on child immunizations and I know I for one had just about all of them, was I affected? Probably not, but who knows how many are and don't know it.

Case in point with my pups, I vaccinated them, i'll do rabies ever 3 years, and I do administer heartworm once a month due to Texas being mosquito breeding heaven, but I was lucky with mine to being for the most part healthy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts