Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big do you think she will get?

Her 8 week weight was 2 lbs 2 oz but I couldn't even believe that much she's very tiny

Only pics I got on my phone earlier

I'm hoping she will have a small body type like Baby-Love and finish at 5 lbs ish mom was 6 lbs and dad 4 1/2 lb

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm going to guess right at 5 pounds. She weighs more than Brody did at that age, but she looks pretty small boned. I would guess she won't be tiny or large either - just an average 5 pounder. And she's very cute! :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Im no expert on these things, and I think you cant really be sure even if you use the puppy weight charts, etc, but Leo was just 1 lb 2 ounces at 8 weeks. His breeder charted him to be 3.5 to 4.5 lbs, but he is already over 2 lbs at 4 months, so Im thinking he will be more 4.5-5...over 2 lbs is pretty big for 8 weeks I think. Cute puppy!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey weighed 2# at 7 months and she is 4.3# full grown, I would say that puppy is going to be at least 6-8# if not bigger.

Pup is very cute though.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Baby-love was 1 lb 3 oz at 9 weeks when I got her and according to the chart she should be 3 1/2 lbs I think it said lol I can't trust those charts I know it's pretty hard to tell. I swear she seems about the same size if not smaller than when I got baby. Her head is like the size of a golf ball not including snout or ears. All of babys puppies were bigger than this chi I remember them all being over 2 lbs when I got their shots and according to new owners now over a year later one was 4.5 lbs and one 3-3 1/2 lbs I don't get how the heck you can predict it lol seems all different

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zoey weighed 2# at 7 months and she is 4.3# full grown, I would say that puppy is going to be at least 6-8# if not bigger.

Pup is very cute though.
Ahhh u really think that much? I don't wanna get it if it's gonna be a giant lol I already have 2 giants named ninja and prada lol

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Clueless on weight, but I think she is sooo cute! :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I'm gonna guess that if she ends up on the smaller side she'll be about 6 lbs., and could easily end up around 8 lbs. But I don't think she'll be any smaller than 6 lbs. and most likely bigger.

If you use the charts, add about 2 lbs., and that will get you close.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Pup is very cute though.
Ahhh u really think that much? I don't wanna get it if it's gonna be a giant lol I already have 2 giants named ninja and prada lol

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmmm I love her and she seems soo tiny compared to what I've looked at the past few days but I really don't want a huge one I mean if it happened to get huge later I'd never get rid of it but this is gonna be my last ever so I really need To choose wisely and use my brain and not my heart!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Get the puppy you want for sure. Especially if you aren't going to add any more.

For reference, Brody was 2 pounds on the dot when we got him at 11 weeks. He's 5 pounds now. So yeah, maybe she will be 6+ pounds. Hard to tell!

It's really hard to tell when they are so tiny as babies. Even the big ones are tiny at 8 weeks!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
If size matters to you, and you won't be satisfied with a 6+ lber., I'd keep looking. 2.2 lbs. is very tiny, but not for an 8 week old Chi.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
In my experience I'm going to guess she'll be 5-6lbs tops. I base this on the fact Marley was 2lbs 8oz at 8wks & is 6lbs now, Maxie was 2lbs 7oz at 10wks & is 4.5lbs now. Mari was also 1lb 14oz at 8wks & is 4.5lbs now.

She doesn look like she has a small frame & looks pudgey so like with any dog at any age pudge is going to add weight to a smaller size. Granted she could end up 4lbs or she could end up 7-8lbs so if weight is super important I'd either look for an older pup or a teeny tiny pup.

She is adorable though. :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much for replyingi think were going to pass on her as sad as it is to say I told oh about your replies and he said it's up to me what I want to do but if I get it and it ends up bigger then don't even THINK about looking ever again for puppies lol Prada was supposed to be the last one in the case of prada I knew she was the biggest in the litter but I didn't care about size I wanted a female version of ninja I waited and prayed for 9 long weeks and my wish came true lol I don't care If she's big at all but because I have 2 on the larger size prada being big boned I would prefer a small one like Baby again her body type is nice and tiny.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So to get an adult 5 lbs or just under what size in weight should I be searching for just over 1 lb to below 2 lbs at the 8-9 week mark?

I found a 5 month old that's 3.3 lbs so beautiful blue and white but Shes 8 hrs away :( could never go that far and according to chart shed be 4.5 lbs ish at full growth?

Every single ad says they will be under 5 lbs or not more than 5 lbs lol it's so hard to know Who's being real

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The blue & white sounds nice. I can't imaging them being over 5lbs full grown (depending on body condition obviously). Too bad they're so far away! Maybe the breeder would be willing to meet you half way?

If I was you I'd look for a pup that is 1lbs 8ish oz at 8 weeks give or take a few oz depending on structure/if they're pudgey or not. That should keep it some what safe with what to expect size wise. There always are exceptions though & you could end up with a bigger pup or even a very tiny Chi. But the chances are more slim they'd be bigger. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
If size is super important, you may also want to consider an adult dog, someone in the 1 yr + range. You'll know pretty much exactly what you're getting, then.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The blue & white sounds nice. I can't imaging them being over 5lbs full grown (depending on body condition obviously). Too bad they're so far away! Maybe the breeder would be willing to meet you half way?

If I was you I'd look for a pup that is 1lbs 8ish oz at 8 weeks give or take a few oz depending on structure/if they're pudgey or not. That should keep it some what safe with what to expect size wise. There always are exceptions though & you could end up with a bigger pup or even a very tiny Chi. But the chances are more slim they'd be bigger. :)

It's actually not from a breeder they only have 1 faemale they have to rehome her because they work 12 hour shifts I wish it was closer even half way is too far I don't wanna go farther than 2 hrs lol I found a breeder an hour away that breeds smaller sized pups theyre all gorgeous but ridiculous prices some are $2200 lol I wouldn't pay that but I book marked it alot of them Are reduced now quite a bit so I'll have to keep an eye

I never thought me of all people would care about size lol I love my giants mire than life but for my last ever I have to be strict to exactly what I want.

I was strict to Merle but now I have reconsidered

Ahhh Ive never Been so picky in my life before usually I see a pet and get it lol

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Lol I'll bring u the little merle from B's breeder but he's a boy :( :( (I have free standby flights anywhere in the world).

Bryco was 16 oz at 10 weeks, I expect he will be a 4.5-5 lb adult. He "charted" at under 3 lbs for the longest time imaginable, then had a huge growth spurt.

I agree be strict with what you want. It IS out there. I've passed on 4 or 5 almost perfect girls now, as hard as it is, they live for-ev-er so you will be stuck with him/her for a very very long time!! :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Lol I'll bring u the little merle from B's breeder but he's a boy :( :( (I have free standby flights anywhere in the world).

Bryco was 16 oz at 10 weeks, I expect he will be a 4.5-5 lb adult. He "charted" at under 3 lbs for the longest time imaginable, then had a huge growth spurt.

I agree be strict with what you want. It IS out there. I've passed on 4 or 5 almost perfect girls now, as hard as it is, they live for-ev-er so you will be stuck with him/her for a very very long time!! :)
I totally agree, When I get my next Chi, I will be getting a choc female I will be very very very very picky! Lets face it we have them for ever!

1 - 20 of 168 Posts