Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I mentioned this before that Baby-Love is going to be spayed we were going to get her done at the end of November but she unexpectedly went into heat 2 days ago so now it is delayed. Ninja is neutered and she's not around any other dogs besides Prada so she won't get preggo or anything.

My question is about spaying of adults if it changes their temperament.

Baby is recently becoming more aggressive I don't know if maybe it was because she was coming up into heat or what but we have been working with her to try and knock the behavior.

She has a pretty good temperament but she is very dominant she loves other dogs but when she first meets them she has to put them in their place so to speak and then when they submit she will be their best friend.

Because she is already 5 years old will the spay have any impact on her dominance I know when you get them spayed at 6 months old it helps.

If not I am thinking of taking her to some obedience lessons once she is spayed so she can be socialized some more and more often so hopefully that first interaction will be better when she meets another dog.

Also when someone new comes over she will growl and bark and won't let anyone touch her at first but once they talk to her and pet her she won't let them stop touching her she will keep nudging them to touch her if they stop. I would prefer if she was just like that from the start also it's almost like she is wary of new situations then when she's comfortable she is fine.

We mega socialized her when we got her my oh at the time was a delivery driver and while I was at school he would keep her in the car with him and obviously everyone wanted to pick her up and touch her because she was only 1lb 3 oz and most people weren't used to seeing such a tiny dog. we also carried her in a carrier everywhere to the mall to restaurants etc. My oh's friends all thought she was so cute and they would walk around the mall with her trying to pick up chicks too lol that came to hault tho when one of his friends let a girl he met hold baby and baby peed all over her ta ta's :D:D:D:D

I have taken her on some play dates with a few different dogs in the past also and the outcome was what was mentioned above.

Anyone with experience or suggestions is greatly appreciated in advance as always :)

Edited to add: she is amazingly smart she learns things very quick if we are consistent with her (we meaning everyone in my household, I live with my parents!)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Being in heat can make them most dominant/aggressive as well as before they come in. Spaying helps mellow them out usually.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Betty was about 3 1/2 when we spayed her. She's pretty much the same ole Betty, except a little less "queen bee" in general.

That said, Betty loooooves people but HATES any dog bigger than her. :( That has not changed.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Stella was 5 when she was spayed, her previous owner didn't spay her.
It was so difficult to go through, at least for me, but she's pretty much the same old Stella, too.

She was never really aggressive, though.
She loves people, little dogs and big dogs. She does take issue with dogs
that are right around her size, which is kind of odd.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My chi was spayed late as well, but she is still the same ol sassy little thing. The only difference I noticed is that she is more prone to gaining weight very easily now, so I'd keep an eye on Baby's weight afterwards.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya I worried about weight gain too! She's 5 lbs but I keep her on a strict diet I feed her barley any kibble as it is I would hate to have to cut back more even as we finally transition to raw for good. I'm hoping once we switch to full raw tho that she'll end up being more lean

anyone know how long you have to wait after a heat cycle to get spayed? I read online 6 months that seems kind of long tho

when Ninja got neutered he gained a lot of weight he was 5lbs now he's 7.5 he is one of those dogs that always eats tho so ppl in my house feel bad for him and keep feeding him snacks so he is on a diet again *sigh

I think I will have to do a combo of both spaying and some classes

My mom tells me when I am out too she acts up more like acts aggressive towards my mom sometimes especially if my mom comes in my room when I am not there but then other days she is fine with her....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lol my chi got chunky! I wasn't giving her additional portions of her regular food, but she was definitely getting a little something extra on the side to stimulate her appetite after the spay. I didn't realize she would balloon up like a whale afterwards! Hahaha she's lost some weight since and I'm trying to maintain it now.

She got spayed about 2-3 weeks after her cycle ended. 6 months is way too long and too close to the start of a new cycle.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Sherri I don't think her temperament will change for the worse if anything shell be better with other intact bitches!! Generally pack order goes intact then spayed dogs!

She doesn't sound aggressive to me she sounds like a chihuahua they are fiercely loyal and protective if she's showing her teeth when growling then I would be concerned but if it's just a grumble I wouldn't if you teach her to be quiet on command that should fix the barking

The stand offishness is a chi trait too daisy is super friendly with everyone if she sees a new person she has to kiss them sit on their heads and give love!
Lotus is a cow haha she barks grumbles then teases by getting excited and if people try to pets her she bolts off playing when she's ready shell sit on their lap as long as it's her terms!! From the chis I've met and research this seems a normal characteristic

Again daisy is super submissive with dogs now even more so since she was spayed she use to charge them prior but she was a young pup! Lotus again does it on her terms some she barks at them which I'm working on some she wants to play!!

But no I don't think it will make a difference although it should chill her out a little

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am hoping for it to chill her out lol she gets very dominant in certain situations. I just didn't know if it would at this age since she already is set on that behavior from the get go.

I had thought 6 months was far too long! forgot where I read it probably on google lol

well it will be at least a couple months now until I get her spayed she's just in the beginning of her cycle no blood yet just swelling. Last year she wasn't in her cycle until the end of december so I thought I had some time usually she is about the same every year. She only goes into heat once per year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts