Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone haven't been on here much more or less just been reading on my cellphone which for some crappy reason doesn't let me reply to threads :(:(

Anyways I was reading a few weeks ago someone posted that their dog gave birth and had fleas or dog was pregnant and had fleas?? I can't find the thread again but someone else said that Advantage was safe to use on puppies as young as 2 days old..............

I contacted the bayer company today who makes advantage from the recommendation of my vet to find out about using it on a mother cat and kittens who my mom is fostering for a few weeks who have fleas and brought fleas in my house :(:(

The vet that works for bayer said DO NOT use advantage on puppies under 6 weeks of age and kittens under 8 weeks of age because the advantage is alcohol based and because their skin isn't developed fully the alcohol can burn their skin and cause HYPOTHERMIA!!!!

She said it's fine to use on nursing or pregnant mothers of kittens or puppies because advantage is not excreted through milk or placenta and then you can treat kittens/puppies at the appropriate age listed above.

Just thought I would share that info since I contacted the company directly and don't want anyone using it and having pups/kittens die of hypothermia.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
You can use Dawn Dish Soap on young kittens for fleas. You bathe them in it, just make sure they don't get chilled, and dry them well.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use Dawn Dish Soap on young kittens for fleas. You bathe them in it, just make sure they don't get chilled, and dry them well.
thanks that i what I have been doing but I have 5 dogs and 3 cats that all have fleas now :( They've all been bathed in flea shampoo and mom and kittens in dawn once per week but Ninja and Prada have scabs all over and the bathing is drying out their skin Prada's missing hair in places too so that's why I contacted them it's easier to use advantage then to bath a million animals now that I know the mom can be done I have a sigh of relief that I can get rid of it sooner than later! Kittens are between 4-5 weeks old so they have to be bathed in dawn for a couple more weeks.

·
Registered
923 Posts
We use Diatamaceous (sp?) earth on our babies if we see fleas (hardly ever, unless we have a foster like now). Just rub in it their skin them a few days later treat the skin for the dryness caused by the DE. Just be sure they don't INHALE it, or you!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I stopped using Dawn due to it strips the skin of the oil and can really dry out the skin. Any foaming dish liquid will work so I usually use something not quite as strong as Dawn or the one's that strip the oil away.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone who replied! I ordered a crapload of advantage off of ebay its so much cheaper on there than the vets I paid $60 total and it will be enough to treat 5 dogs 3 cats and the mom cat I'm assuming the shelter will advantage the babies when they get their needles and are sent back to be put up for adoption what a nightmare tho usually we decline taking anymore kittens bc its too much with all of our pets now a days but they begged us lol *sigh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts