Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gemma's eyes have been watery since we got her. I gently wipe her eyes at least twice a day with a tissue, and sometimes once with a warm wet tissue to clean off any buildup from the inner corners of her eyes. If I don't clean away the tears they leave stains. I've read here that diet is a likely contributing factor to tear stains. Gemma currently eats Acana because that's really all I can afford. Not sure what I should do. Any suggestions? Should I just keep wiping down her eyes constantly? I so badly wish I could afford raw here, but I don't even get to eat fresh meat because it's too expensive. There's cheap chicken but that's it, and I know chicken is not enough for a raw diet.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, thank you so much, Missy! That vinegar trick seems interesting. I'll have to get some cider vinegar and try that!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Gemma's eyes have been watery since we got her. I gently wipe her eyes at least twice a day with a tissue, and sometimes once with a warm wet tissue to clean off any buildup from the inner corners of her eyes. If I don't clean away the tears they leave stains. I've read here that diet is a likely contributing factor to tear stains. Gemma currently eats Acana because that's really all I can afford. Not sure what I should do. Any suggestions? Should I just keep wiping down her eyes constantly? I so badly wish I could afford raw here, but I don't even get to eat fresh meat because it's too expensive. There's cheap chicken but that's it, and I know chicken is not enough for a raw diet.
I do what you do - I keep eyes as dry as I can and I add some apple cider vinegar (braggs, the cloudy kind) to water. When she is over 1 year, you can add 1/2 a tum to her daily diet as that also helps with tears but NOT BEFORE, she does not need extra calcium right now and it can be harmful. Unfortunately most chihuahuas have tear stains. They can get worse during teething as well which I would guess Gemma is coming up on soon :)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do what you do - I keep eyes as dry as I can and I add some apple cider vinegar (braggs, the cloudy kind) to water. When she is over 1 year, you can add 1/2 a tum to her daily diet as that also helps with tears but NOT BEFORE, she does not need extra calcium right now and it can be harmful. Unfortunately most chihuahuas have tear stains. They can get worse during teething as well which I would guess Gemma is coming up on soon :)
Okay, I will try the cider if I can find it. :) Ah, yes, Gemma is approaching 5 months, so teething should be starting soon, if it hasn't already.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I've tried it all with ninja he was on blue buffalo grain free and then I switched to ziwipeak and I did raw occasionally did not decrease the tears I've also switched to acana since blue has tomato pomace but no difference at all also I trie the apple cider vinegar but not consistent enough to see results. I've just given up and wash his face a couple times a day

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Mine are on ZP and raw and have quite minimal staining. Because Winston is white you can see his more so I wipe him with a warm damp cloth every day, the others aren't as bad or as noticeable so they are done about every 2nd day.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've tried it all with ninja he was on blue buffalo grain free and then I switched to ziwipeak and I did raw occasionally did not decrease the tears I've also switched to acana since blue has tomato pomace but no difference at all also I trie the apple cider vinegar but not consistent enough to see results. I've just given up and wash his face a couple times a day
Well, at least I know if all else fails, someone else has the same problem! I had to wipe down Gemma's eyes about 4 times today. Poor girl. Maybe she has allergies, too. The pollen this summer is very heavy.

Mine are on ZP and raw and have quite minimal staining. Because Winston is white you can see his more so I wipe him with a warm damp cloth every day, the others aren't as bad or as noticeable so they are done about every 2nd day.
I tried giving Gemma ZP and she didn't like it, lol. Not that I could really afford it full time anyways. Oh well! Guess I'll just have to keep wiping her eyes a few times daily.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby tears a little bit but it never stains, just builds up moisture. I just wet a paper towel with warm water and wipe under his eyes in the morning and at night. Then I dry the area. I think he has environmental allergies because on days that he is outside less his eyes tear less, and vice versa.

I hope you figure out something that works for Gemma!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chloe just started this! Off to read the thread posted!
I have been using the apple cider vinegar trick and I must say that I have noticed a good bit less staining from Gemma's tears. She even seems to be watering less. Maybe the pollen was just really heavy at the time and it was irritating her eyes. The pollen doesn't seem so bad outside lately. I would definitely recommend the vinegar trick, though! I just use a tiny bit, probably about 1/2 tsp in her big bowl of water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts