Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came home this evening around 6ish and noticed that Max, hes about 5.5 pounds looked lethargic and weak so i immediately gave him some nutracal and gatorade and fed him a bowl of boiled chicken and rice (which I fed him yesterday also because both my boys were going through a bit of diarrhea but max not so much). When I put his food down he got up and ate but looked very weak in his rear legs and was limping on his right one. So after this he seemed not so lethargic anymore but still not wanting to walk/move/get up or anything. i moved his legs around and he let out a little cry when i pushed the right one closer toward his body. I took him outside and he walked a couple steps toward a tree and peed on the tree. then he took a couple more steps and layed down which is not like him. usually when he is outside hes running around. he seems alert but now i took him outside again and he doesnt want to stand up really at all and it seems like both legs may be bothering him. I really dont want to take him to an emergency vet right now unless its absolutely necessary -- $ is very tight - so i need some advice from you guys on what i should do. I haven't posted on the site for awhile now but i know your always there when I need ya so hopefully ill get some replies soon. thanks in advance.

also.... when i leave my house i have both max and milo blocked in the kitchen and milo is a little rough and excited so im thinking maybe something might have happened because when i left max was totally fine......

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I never heard giving a dog gatoraid, but you can give some Karo syrup to make sure his sugar level is up. How long have you been gone? Has he been in the kitchen all day without food? How old is he?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The gatorade was likely for the runs i'd assume, though when I had that problem I usually gave pedialyte as directed by my vet.

Another member may think it more urgent, he may have pulled a muscle or something. It's just my thinking but if anything were broken he would have probably really let you know. That's just my thinking, but I would call first thing in the morning and ask to be seen.

The lethargy is a little worrisome though if he perked up after eating thats good, if someone else think it's an emergency by all means.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
so i took him to the emergency vet cause i was just too nervous and they think his patella may have luxated and the reason he was seeming lethargic was from the pain.... his patella has done so twice in the past and its never caused this much hurt so that concerns me. they did a check and said his brain was responding normally and he doesnt have any broken bones. the vet gave him two shots one for pain and one is an anti-inflammatory. he basically said to let him get complete rest for the next 24 hours and follow up with my vet. if hes not better by morning i will be taking him in to the regular vet for x-rays and whatever else might be necessary to get my baby better.

....the gatorade actually was given for the lethargy..my vet said it works just like the nutracal..pedialite and such..

...i was only gone for about an hour and half...i was home all day and only left to go to the gym.. so scary was can happen so quickly

as of now he is sleeping from the meds... seems like hes pretty comfortable... i just pray that hes okay. poor baby... ill keep you all updated and as always, thanks for everything!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw poor baby. :( I hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am glad you took him to the vet.
Although money is tight, you would never forgive yourself if something was wrong and you delayed his treatment.
I know, it happened to me....
I have since found a really good vet, who charges appropriately and lts mone make payments if necessary.
These chi's are very small and don't have allot of the reserve. They don't have a choice to take their own selves to the dr. so their whole life relies on us >
I am thankful he is dong better.
WHEW !!!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
O Im only just seeing this. Glad you went with your instincts and had him checked, the worry can eat you alive! Did the e vet move his leg around and feel the knee, or were they just not wanting to bother it since he seemed to be hurting? Sometimes they do have it slip out and slide right back in, but that wouldnt usually cause such a lot of pain. Hope everything checks out ok when you take him back in. Do you have anything in the kitchen that Max can jump up on to have a bit of a rest when hes not wanting to play with Milo? Miley and Leo are both under 1yr and love to roughhouse non stop. Reese likes to play, but not nearly as much, and he will jump up onto the bed or a couch or chair to get away from them. They usually get the message. Or does Max have a crate where he feels safe? Something he could go into that Milo couldnt follow him when he wants to get away? Id definitely get something for him, it wouldnt be nice to get chased all over the kitchen nonstop when youd rather be napping!
Keep us updated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes im also very glad i took him because i was worried sick and he looks so relaxed now compared to earlier. yes the vet did check his knees and said they were both in place. he said sometimes the inflammation can cause a lot of pain so im praying that's what it is and nothing worse. he said he thinks he will be much better within 24hours...actually when the vet put him back on the table he walked over to his blanket with no limp at all...kinda shocked me... in the kitchen he does have a crate where he can go and when they play max is the more dominating one and he is very clear to milo when hes done... hes actually pretty feisty but who knows anything can happen.... im going to figure out how to use my webcam cause supposedly i can view it from my iphone....im still trying to figure all that out though. it would be nice to be able to check on them whenever im not home... ill keep everyone informed. thanks for the kind thoughts we greatly appreciate it!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Glad you took him to the vet, better safe than sorry.

Yes you can give them plain Gatorade or Pedialyte to keep the Electrolytes (sp?) up to keep from dehydrating when having diarrhea (sp?) or a fever.

The Nutri-Cal is keeping the sugar up in case of Hypoglycemia. Both good things to give when unsure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts