Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am having difficulty with Red and the table.

At home with me he will stack lovely even free stack (with a treat to his nose lol) facing left or right. I can walk around the table, touch him all over and he stands their great.

I take him to a show and he stands lovely as long as he faces to my left, face him right and he bends like a banana towards me.

So I stand him facing left and he stacks lovely and square, yet the second the judge approaches he backs off, shriveols up and does his banana impression.

Brian my OH has offered to pretend to be a judge, considering he isn't keen on Red I was plesently surprised that he offered to help me.

However Red knows Brian so may be okay...

What can I do.. how do I get Red more confident on the table when at home with me he does everyhting right.

When lined up on the floor, he looks at me with his ears and tail down, nothing I do gets him excited. Again at home he jumps up and down taila dn ears up so i know this too is a confidence thing...

The only time he is bold and confident is when we do our show for the judge. He steps out with ears and tail up and glides across the floor.

There is only me and Brian at home so Red does not socilaise with anyone else.

I ahve also noticed that when ever we are out and someone comes to stroke Red he again backs off..

I really need some help and advice here coz I feel I am letting Red down.

Deme x

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I would just see how many other people that he's unfamiliar with he can practice with. You did say he just socializes with you and Brian so it sounds like he needs some new (friendly!!) faces to help get him confident meeting strangers. Maybe set up like a social gathering and invite people and while they're there have him practice stacking for them.. have them give him nummy treats too so he relaxes. Granted the actual judges won't give him treats but if he's used to it from everyone else he should be fooled enough to be happy lol.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I have a girl here who shows too perfection at home once at shows she is all over the place i have tried and tried she is now coming round :)

Well i had this with one of mine and i brought them too pet shops put them on the counter and asked the person at the other end too feel them and look at there mouth (they thought i was mad) I also stood them on walls up at the school asked people their too do the same and it made such a huge difference!!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called in the Pet store on the way home and put Red on the counter and asked the lass on the till to make a fuss of Red and you know what he wasn't bothered at all jsut sniffed about lol...

I am thinking of emailing my mates and asking if I can bring him to theirs so that he gets used to strangers.

I am also gonna take him to ringcraft more regular so he gets used to the commotion, dogs, smells and noises

Deme x

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Not that I have a clue but I think some puppies are like that and eventually will grow out of it

Lotus is a show off at home, in the park, at the school in the pet shop take her Ringcraft and she's on vibrate constantly sits down won't walk and tries to get on my head when the 'judge' goes over her!! Tbh I think she's a lost cause like that so kinda gave up I haven't been Ringcraft two weeks and she's totally improved she's like a doff dog but Ringcraft is a scary place

So yeah I just think even ask random people on the street to check him out

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL I can see people thinking I'm a loon just approaching them and saying ,, will you fuss my dog... good idea though

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Sarah don't give up on lotus :) she is lovely sometimes i think the more shows they do the more they get confident look at my Jade i was just about too give up (4 wks ago) then she won BOB and was nearly placed in the group pulled 6 out of the whole show and she was one of them i nearly fainted cause she hated showing (its part of the walk she hates) so i will keep trying as everyone says its a shame if you dont!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Dawn they're probably be pleased too I got some lady stop her car today got out walked down the road and asked to touch the dogs

Saoirse idk u know well see shes only 4.5 month well see we both hate our Ringcraft so dunno will see

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I first started taking Red to ringcraft he'd sit down and refuse to move, the way I was told to react to this to me was wrong. The advice may have helped others but playing with animals naturally taught me what I was being told to do was teaching Red to make me stop.

Instead I used my own gentle methods and after two 10 min sessions I sorted it..

Deme x

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Dawn I think time will make red a little show god u did so well and it's just experience fir him he's only a baby so hey who knows he maybe ch copymear contradiction one day and you'll be wondering what you were worried about

Oh we get told to be firm and yank them along on their lead um er Try NO

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd never pull and yank Red or any animal, I find that makes them pull back.. and can you imagine how uncomfortable that must be... the though of having your neck yanked don't appeal to me..

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
YANK on the lead??? Yikes, anyone who suggests that needs to have a lead put on them and yanked on! Maybe then they'll think again! Im so glad everyone here has more brains than to do that!

Maisie LOVES the table - Because every time she goes on it, she gets a tiny piece of dried liver, which she never gets anywhere else (other than the odd show!) - She was very nervous of being off the ground before that. Maybe it'll help a little with Red?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Do you have classes or anything where you could take him? Sebastian was like this as well he HATED the table, even at home, so we worked with him a lot, made the table a fun experience for him at first, made it a game, gave him treats & lots of happy excited praise when he perked up on the table. We had a class where we could take him and have 'strangers' go over the dog for practice.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not the table it is people. I can stack him at a show and he will stand beautiful. its when the judge comes near him that he falls apart. I guess its about getting him used to strange people approaching and touching him.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd feel awkward asking anyone as usually people are busy.. Gonna see how he does this morning with Brian.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could you disract him with something really yummy he only gets when the judge is going over him
Nope he totally goes into himself, in fact yesterday I give him about 5 bits of kibble at 6.30am and nothing else so that he would be hungry at the show, but he showed no interest in the food when I offered him it.

I wafted it in front of his nose and he kinda nibbled slowly at it and even let it drop out of his mouth, and this is a little dog that goes crazy at home, jumping up and down like a kangaroo, eyes wide and bright, ears totally up and tail wagging for england.

I know he is just a baby but its a little disheartening when I see other Chi's around his age with ears and tail up showing themselves really well.

I was told about a Vit B supplement that also boosts that it helps with nervousness, the lass at the show says she swears by it, had dogs that ran and coweredin corners peeing with fright to come out of their shell and do really well showing.

Do these work? I know they aren't a miracle cure and training along side is vital but at the moment I am open to all suggestions.

As much as I love Red and will never part with him sometimes I think should I have bought a more extrovert dog as when I went to see Red the first time he just buried his head into my lap and didn't flinch..

Take last night, he was his bed and got up and belly crawled across the floor like he'd been really told off. I dunno why he did it. I feel so sad for Red coz he just seems to switch form confident to unconfident so quickly.

A stranger would think I beat him every day... which I don't

Deme x

1 - 20 of 22 Posts