Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to some breeders at Bath Show and they told me to phone them, how long should I wait before phoning and most importantly what should I ask.

Should I be gentle in my questions or direct and should I ask how much they are asking and when in the conversation do I ask this about price.

I mean I really don't want to waste their time with questions if the price is too much for me.

I feel nervous phoning as it is, dunno why... and I feel self concious asking too many questions and worse I feel like I am asking stupid questions...

Two of the breeders are well known in the showing circuit so I guess they have heard all the questions before but its all new to me.

So I am relly calling on your help here..

Thanks

Deme

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I just get to the point. I ask EVERYTHING I wanna know straight up. They should appreciate a good dog owner will ask questions. I ask more now I'm experienced than I did before.

I hate phoning people I don't know but once you get over the initial introductions it's easier.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Forgoot to say regarding price. I wuld just say something along the lines of what kindo of price do you sell your chi's for? Just explain you don't want to waste their time if they're out of your price range at the moment. It's honest and staright to the point.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
what do you wanna know?

What pups they have available, long or smooth coat?
How many of each sex? Price
How old are the pups?
What's the tempremanet (sp) of the mum and dad. Show history?
When they'll be ready to go to a new home.
Any medical problems in the history of the mum and dad?
Any medical problems with the pups? Overshot or undershot?

Just stuff like that is what i ask. I just do it in a friendly way. get a converstaion going, even make a joke to lighten the mood about how you always ask too many questions lol.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I would say make sure you ask whatever you want. I've had some experiences where breeders will talk and talk but the minute I ask a question, get all defensive...so...make sure they aren't seeming to be hiding anything. It's perfectly normal when you are giving them your money for them to answer any questions you might have. It's their fault if they overexert themselves in answering.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with everyone. Be up front and tell them exactly what you are looking for. Tell them you haven't shown before but you are interested, etc.

If you do want to show, then ask them if they will help you since you are new. Some breeders are really good about that and some aren't. So if you want help, make sure to buy from someone who is willing to help you after the sale!

I don't know if co-ownerships are common in the UK, but ask about that. You want to buy the dog outright, not just own half of it. Also be careful of required stud breedings.... for example if he turns out really nice, the breeder may require 1,2,3 breedings from him. It's not the same as having a girl and doing the puppy thing, etc. but it is still "strings" attached. Think about it and decide if you want to do that or not.

Do they offer a guarantee? Not for show, as nobody can predict how they will turn out. But what about a health guarantee? You could tell them your experience with Jake and his surgeries and it would be nice if you got a 1-2 year health guarantee against LP and/or legg perthes.

It's MUCH easier to get a boy to show than a girl, so that is in your favor. In fact some breeders have a hard time selling their show quality boys just because many people don't want to own a stud dog.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow I am so impressed in the replies and I am gonna write all the advice down as I am off to Norfolk tomorrow and will phone them either Monday or Tuesday.

I don't want to come across as a right wally on the phone... Stud is not something I have considered, it is the showing that has appealed to me in a big way. I really enjoy it and even thoiugh I have only entered companion shows and understand KC run shows are more intense I still want to go ahead with showing but with the attitude its not about the winning but the fun in taking part.

I used to get so stressed when competing with my horse but having this new attitude makes the whole day with Jake so much fun and rewarding.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind is no one can guarantee show quality and those that try to...should be avoided =) Puppies can have a myriad of faults show up between 8 weeks and 6 months of age or even older...so find a lil guy you can love no matter what, and go form there =) I got so irritated with show breeders trying to guarantee me that the pup would show and then slapping a huge price tag on it. I finally found a breeder that had enough litters he consistently had show quality pups but he sells them for "pet"prices because bottom line is...he's got his from this go-round, and he has ended up with more puppies in the ring that way than trying to rip people off for them. The little guy I got may or may not show. Did he look like he could at 10 weeks? Yup. Does he look like it at 13 weeks? Yep. Do I have any guarantee he will? Nope. Will I try? Of course. I think you have the right attitude. You just wanna have fun. Eventually you will get your little star, but it can take awhile! A dog you can show and a dog that will consistently win are two totally different things. Don't break the bank for your first show pup, the first lil dude is mostly to train you, IMO. And of course...to have fun! Its just a bonus if you win I think.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
I would ring as soon as possible if they have pups available now, I think most will talk away and answer most of ur q's, Bentley's breeder certainly did when i initially called her, i just sat there filling in the answers to my q's on my notepad without having to ask lol ... even down to cost etc

If its important to you maybe, ask about any endorsements they might be wanting to add to the paperwork like some may not want you to breed from the pup and may endorse the papers "Progeny Not Eligible For Registration" and/or may endorse "Export Pedigree Not Allowed" so you wouldnt be able to register the pup with any overseas kennel clubs etc..

I havent ever heard of any UK breeders offering a health guarantee tho

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Chloe, I would have phoned today but by the time I got home, showered, put things away, eaten and give Jake the attention he wanted it got a bit late, I am travelling tomorrow but not till 11am so I will call tomorrow morning before I set off.

I am not interested in breeding or showing abroad so if they slap an endorsement on for those I don't mind.

I know a pup or any animal is only worth the price a buyer is prepared to pay but at a realistic price (here in the UK) what should I be looking at?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Thanks Chloe, I would have phoned today but by the time I got home, showered, put things away, eaten and give Jake the attention he wanted it got a bit late, I am travelling tomorrow but not till 11am so I will call tomorrow morning before I set off.

I am not interested in breeding or showing abroad so if they slap an endorsement on for those I don't mind.

I know a pup or any animal is only worth the price a buyer is prepared to pay but at a realistic price (here in the UK) what should I be looking at?
Some will almost "require" you to breed the dog...so be wary of that. Realistically, you REALLY want to own a dog free and clear, zero zero zero strings attached, I promise =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts