Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've had Bailey for just over 2 months, vet thought he was around 18months old when I got him, he is due to be neutered on Wednesday. Everything was fine, Charlie and Bailey were friends until last week now they keep fighting. There's lots of growling and so on and they keep getting in to big fights. Ive got a dog trainer ringing me tommoro to give me some advice but thought I'd ask you guys too! Why do you think this is happening? Could it be dominance issues? They seem to get into fights over attention, even though they both get lots of it! A few days ago my son whos 9 walked past Baileys bed and he growled at my son so Charlie growled at Bailey and it turned into a fight. Bailey follows me everywhere I go and sits by me as if he's guarding me, what does this mean? Do you think the problem will ease after neuter? I'm also worried about that but just trying not to think about it. Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise me what's going on and what to do x

·
Registered
81 Posts
This to me sound very much like a dominase issue. Especially the fact that he growled at your son. That is not good. Baily think he is the king and he is the onde deciding when and where to get petted, by who etc.

What rules and routines do you have in place for them? Baily need to understand that he is NOT the pack leader. My own Chi, Locco can be quite demanding when it comes to wanting my attention so i am teatching him that there is a time and place for that and it is on MY terms, not his. For example, he is never allowed up in the bed and never in the sofa. If he comes and begs/demands attention he gets non, however when he is good, i go down to the floor and pet him, play with him etc. He/they do not have free access to toys, but rather they are allowed to play with their toys when i say so. I have them all in a box which i keep out of reach. When it is play time i put it on the floor for them. Before going for a walk they have to sit and wait for me to put the leash on and for me to open the door. if they barge out i go back in, close the door and wait for them to calm down. I do the same thing when we go back inside. When people come over they have to sit and wait in a calm manner (still working on that one) and say hello in a polite manner. They are not allowed in to the kitchen, especially not when i prepare their food or my own food. They have to keep their distance from me when i am eating. In short, they have to work and earn every previlidge they want. Of course it happens that i get a bit "sloppy" with the dicepline from time to time and i notice it in their behaviour right away and quickly take on the "pack leader role again". From the time i got Locco i had to change my routines as he is much more demanding than Lady is. Lady was and still is super easy to deal with but Locco need the dicepline. So, what works for one dog may not at all work for the other and changes need to be implemented. It took me a while to figure thsi out myself too of course and for a while Locco as well as Lady was stressing me out completly :) Neutering may also very well help and it is good that you bring over a dog trainer for some advice :) I wish you all the luck.

Miinerva

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I was having trouble with Smoke being very dominate and starting fights. Especially with Pepper, who is lowest dog in the pack and with Regiie. Neutering really helped a lot. Since then I have only had one fight and that was when Isis went into heat. With your son, he sees him as part of his pack and sees himself as higher in standing then him. Others will tell you how to stop it, I really have not had to deal it, sorry. Best of luck into making him a better and happier dog.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was having trouble with Smoke being very dominate and starting fights. Especially with Pepper, who is lowest dog in the pack and with Regiie. Neutering really helped a lot. Since then I have only had one fight and that was when Isis went into heat. With your son, he sees him as part of his pack and sees himself as higher in standing then him. Others will tell you how to stop it, I really have not had to deal it, sorry. Best of luck into making him a better and happier dog.
I really do hope that neutering helps. Its only just started to be a problem last week. I hope he can be happy again because although most of the time he's fine on the occasions he's not it's really not nice to be around. To say they are only little dogs it is still quite scary incase 1 of them gets hurt. I feel a little bit guilty for Charlie because of the hassle he's getting from Bailey, when all I wanted was a little friend for him, and they have been until last week. I should hear from the trainer tommoro and hopefully she will tell me the best way to handle it. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I will keep you posted on how things go x

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Ninja and Baby have been fighting a lot lately and they've lived together for 4 years good luck ninja is neutered baby isn't spayed but they equally start the fights I hope they cut it out soon

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it's really not nice is it! I hope it gets sorted out soon! I spoke to a dog trainer yesterday and she told me to get some spray in a can and it's just air that comes out and to spray it when they fight. It's the hissing noise that's supposed to correct bad behaviour, might be worth a try! She said it's worked with lots of her clients x

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi sorry about the fights i wouldnt like that either like you said it is sad for both cause theyll get hurt we tried the water bottle and sprayed water to startle the whole siuation it worked

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
My intact male (I show him) HATES HATES HATES my neutered male. Nothing we do or say changes it, so, we just make sure they have their space. I don't think the behavior would change if I were to neuter him, it's too ingrained now, but it might be soon enough to patch things up between your boys.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi sorry about the fights i wouldnt like that either like you said it is sad for both cause theyll get hurt we tried the water bottle and sprayed water to startle the whole siuation it worked
Hi, I will see how they are after baileys fully recovered from his neuter, if they are still fighting after I think I will try it! X

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My intact male (I show him) HATES HATES HATES my neutered male. Nothing we do or say changes it, so, we just make sure they have their space. I don't think the behavior would change if I were to neuter him, it's too ingrained now, but it might be soon enough to patch things up between your boys.
Hi, I really hope things do get patched up! It all started last week when I took a blanket out in the garden to sit on in the sun, Bailey came and sat with me and Charlie was playing with our rotti Jake for a bit, when Charlie came over a big fight started between them. I'm not even sure who started it! But the problem now seems to be when one of them is getting attention, if the dogs are on their own they seem to be ok and still snuggle up sometimes. I really don't know what's going on! If I go near Bailey and Charlie is in the room he starts growling even if Charlie is minding his own business, then after a bit of growling Charlie will come over and a fight will start. They are separated at the moment because of his neuter yesterday, I just hope they can be friends again. It frightens my children when they fight! X

1 - 10 of 10 Posts