Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried calling our vet and their office is closed for the holiday. I just took Jaxx outside and it looked like their was something red in his stool. I am not sure it is blood but it has me worried sick! I don't know if it could just be the red Christmas dog treat he had but that was 2 days ago.
In WV I knew our vet's home number in case something was wrong and the office was closed but here in TX unfortunately I do not have that info.
If there is something wrong with him I worry that the vet does not open until Monday and I don't want him to be sick all weekend.
He is acting fine and eatting and drinking normally.
The redness in his stool is the only thing wrong.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
im pretty sure its from that red treat as red treats have red40 food coloring in it. just like if u were to eat corn...u poops out corn since its not digestable really. i hope its nothing serious :)

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I am hoping.
I wish I had stuck with my gut and let Jaxx take the rawhide chewy gift but declined on the red treat. He just grabbed it and started chomping down on it so fast that I did not have time to think twice. He usually does not take treats from anyone but me or my BF but this treat must have smelled extra good for him to take it from someone I know well but he has only seen maybe 6 times.
He is his regular hyper self right now which is normal for this time of day so hopefully itwas just the treat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If he's not vomiting and eating/drinking and acting normally, I wouldn't worry about it for now. If anything changes drastically about him, and there's red in the stool continually, then get to the vet, you may have to find an ER vet. I find interesting colors in my dog's stool all the time, I vacuum regularly and pick up torn toys and little pieces of whatnot that they manage to strew all about, but they are hoovers in disquise. Even the candy cane colored rawhide chewies for dogs that are all over the stores now have dye in them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just don't panic I spent the first month I had Penny freaking out about everything if it hadn't been for the great people on here I would probably have thousands in vet bill by now..lol. As long as Jaxx is acting like Jaxx I wouldn't worry too much and if your still concerned Monday call the vet.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I once had a little dog... and after eating those little red and green Christmas rawhide chip treats; her poop would also be red or green. We had a very festive yard for a day or two there LOL....

·
Registered
946 Posts
If he's not vomiting and eating/drinking and acting normally, I wouldn't worry about it for now. If anything changes drastically about him, and there's red in the stool continually, then get to the vet, you may have to find an ER vet. I find interesting colors in my dog's stool all the time, I vacuum regularly and pick up torn toys and little pieces of whatnot that they manage to strew all about, but they are hoovers in disquise. Even the candy cane colored rawhide chewies for dogs that are all over the stores now have dye in them.
Just don't panic I spent the first month I had Penny freaking out about everything if it hadn't been for the great people on here I would probably have thousands in vet bill by now..lol. As long as Jaxx is acting like Jaxx I wouldn't worry too much and if your still concerned Monday call the vet.
Ditto to both!!! And good luck:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts