Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice ...
My husband's hours have been changed as of today from 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. on a rotating shift (wk Mon., Tues; off Wed., Thurs.; Wk. Fri., Sat., Sun.; off Mon., Tues; wk Wed., Thurs.; off Fri., Sat., Sun., on and on....)
Harley has been having the run of our living area & kitchen area (open floor plan) during the day with our 12 year Shih Tzu.
Now, my husband will be trying to sleep during the day which is hard enough. I don't think Harley will let him sleep too well. Our bedroom doors are double doors and he can push and open them, so we keep a heavy duty rubber band over the knobs to keep him out. That doesn't keep him from bamming on the door though. If he knows my husband is there he will bam the doors. If I put him in his crate/cage he will fuss because he knows my husband is in the house. I really am worried about how to handle this so that everyone can be happy.
The 12 year Shih Tzu is happy to stay on the bed with my husband but there is absolutely no way that Harley will stay there after sleeping all night.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I work nights too. i go in at 2am and work till 10 am in a bakery but have been doing it for 10 years so my dogs sleep with me from 7pm till 1am and then we take a nap when the kids are at school. they usually adjust to anything over time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hy husband works the same hours as your husband is about to start. Except my husbands hrs change every 28 days from 6am-6pm and then 28 days of
6pm-6am. My chi's are use to being in a crate or x-pen plus if my husband is asleep before they start crying or barking he can sleep through it. He is a very heavy sleeper thank god! Maybe instead of a crate put him in a exercise pen far away from the bedroom. If you don't have a fan in the bedroom get one. The fan helps block out any sounds that the dog maybe making. I myself am a light sleeper so if I had to do shift work I would be a very crabby person from the lack of sleep due to barking crying dogs.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
That's a tough one. Being a light sleeper myself I know how frustrating interuptions can be. What about leaving the door open a crack so that Harley can go in and out as he pleases? After he sees that there's nothing exciting going on in there he'll probably go back out into the living room where he normally is and go to sleep. Maybe giving him a special treat/chewy right before your husband goes to lie down to keep him away from the door for awhile? Another suggestion is to try and baracade off the front of the door so that he has no way of running into and banging on them. It may take a couple weeks for Harley to adjust to him being home and then it shouldn't be a big deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts