Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning kind of a last minute vaca. last wk of june.
Going to universal studios in Florida which is gonna be about 14-15 hr drive. :(
Naturally i'm taking my chis and leaving the bigger older two dogs at home. Someone is going to take care of them while we are gone. But no way am i leaving leila and finn. Fortunately we are staying at a pet friendly condo. I am nervous because i've never taken a dog on a trip like this. Leila went to michigan last summer but that is a short trip for us (Indiana). I am gonna get one of those snoozer car seats for them and taking the pen for them to stay in at the condo. I want to keep them together so they won't get lonely while we are out at Universal studios and stuff BUT if i did I wouldn't be able to leave food out for finn cuz leila would eat every bit so I guess i will have to separate them.
I guess i'm just looking for helpful advice for traveling with puppers. Kinda worried about them pottying, eating etc. while we are on the road.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
is Finn microchipped? my biggest fear about traveling with pups is that they might get
stolen :( Has he had enough vaccines to travel around? I would take pee pads or
newspapers instead of letting him walk around at rest areas. People hang out there a lot
with many dogs. If you were coming past my house, I would gladly watch the little guy :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I agree....take pee pads. I wouldnt let Finn on the ground yet since he is still so young.

We traveled with Addy to Michigan last year (21 hrs) and she did great. We did make lots of stops. She did fine! She got soooo much attention from other travelers that the socialization was great!!!

Florida is also great about letting you bring your "well" behaved dogs to outside eating areas in restaurants. Just check with them before hand. They do have to get a licence from the state allows them to do so.

Your going to have so much fun!!! Im jealous!! I LOVE Orlando!! We live 2.5 hrs away and I go every chance we get. I was actually thinking about getting annual passes to Disney this year :)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am bringing pee pads. It's all finn uses atm! Finn has had one set of shots and getting another before we leave, he's not microchipped.
The only way they could get stolen is if someone broke into the condo while we were out. I wouldnt think anyone would come in at all. Noone should be coming to clean while were there. That wouldnt be until we left. I have my own washer/dryer there to use.
A friend of my hubby has a timeshare so that is where we are staying in Orlando for free :)
Finns feet will not touch the ground believe me!!! I am a very protective chi momma.
I look forward to the socialization for them, it'll be great.
THerese do you live near orlando?

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
nope :D Nebraska!
well, since you are staying in a timeshare, i'm not so worried about someone stealing him.
hotel would be a different story...
have a great time!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun! you sound like you know what are you doing! I hope you take lots of pictures while you are gone!!!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Have a great time. Be great way to Socialize them. I need to socialize Amberleah big time. I took her to Grad party and she was so scared and wanted to bite everyone. No one touched her and she cried. I am going to walk the Park with carry bag. She is too young also to put on ground.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Walt Disney has a pet daycare where they'll watch your dogs while you do the park. I just got back from there, but I have an RV and left Midgie in the air conditioned RV. We would leave out around 8:30-9 am and I would try to be back around 2-3pm to let her out and feed her. Worked out great--no problems. It was a bit of a hassle having to return at a specified time, but we were wore out by the time and ready to rest and have something to eat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts