Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I know this subject has been covered hundreds of times but I just can't seem to figure out where I'm going wrong. I first found four live fleas on Alfie my Yorkshire Terrier approx two weeks ago, I put Frontline on him straightaway and completely blitzed my house, washed everything that was washable and sprayed flea spray everywhere. Today I have seen another live flea on him, the frontline is supposed to protect him for 8 weeks but obviously doesn't work. I haven't put frontline on Bella as I haven't seen anything on her and she's not scratching or anything and I am reluctant to do so. I don't know what else I can do, my house is really clean and I don't feel like it's infested but they are coming from somewhere, any advice would be great.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When fleas are in the house, treating ALL animals monthly for at least three months is essential to stopping the flea life cycle. Treat the house and yard as well, if possible. Also, I'm sure where you're located, but fleas have started to become very resistant to frontline (along with several other topical medications). You may want to consider a different topical or using an oral treatment (comfortis or nexgaurd).

·
Registered
387 Posts
I tried using Advantix 2 on Cai for the past two flea seasons with 0 luck. I didn't even bother with Frontline because I've heard from others in my area that it didn't work. After the topical failed, I had to bathe him twice a week and have flea comb sessions with him every day. I tried Trifexis and within a week, the fleas were gone.

As far as the inside of your house, I have three suggestions; vacuum, vacuum, vacuum! Even if you don't have carpeting. It was the only thing that got rid of my flea infestation before I even had a dog. Exterminator came twice a month all season long and saturated the floor with poison. They were still hanging on. :foxes15: Try vacuuming everyday for at least a week (while continuing to wash bedding and so on) and that should put a stop to them. *(Empty the bag or the canister in the OUTSIDE garbage every time. Fleas can hop out of trash cans.)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Frontline is poison and it will only kill fleas if they bite the dog. Have you treated your front yard. You can use diatomaceous earth. It's best to apply it when you're going to be away for a few days and it's going to rain so it soaks into the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts