Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advice on dog food brands. We don't get all those fancy foods you guys have over here so here's a list of foods that are available. Please tell me which you guys think are best. I'd really appreciate it.

Alpo
Iams
Hill's Science Diet
Royal Canin
Purina
Pedigree (currently using)
Husky
Vet's Choice

Thanx so much!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Hiya :wave:
I use Prina pro-plan and have had no problems with it, it is what my chi's breeders were put on. Both my chi's have a glossy coat and are in the best of health.
I have hear of good about Iams also.
Hope this helps. :lol:

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm not familiar with all the brands you have listed but I can tell you my experience with Science Diet vs Royal Canin. Both Angel and our kitten, Luna, are on Royal Canin.

Angel started off on Pedigree but I had trouble getting her to eat so we switched to Science Diet that we got from the vet on her first visit. She was fine on that for awhile but later on I decided I wasn't tremendously happy with the ingredients so I switched her to Royal Canin. I had heard lots of great things about it. She loves it. I had recently had to give her a little Science Diet because I was low on cash and had some free from the vet but she won't eat it. I don't blame her really. So back to Royal Canin. :) She is on the Chihuahua formula now.

The differences I noticed between SD and RC is that #1, SD contains more corn. Angel doodied a lot more when on that than she does with RC. She is more regular now. And #2, the SD kibble (at least the puppy formula) felt greasy to me whereas the RC kibble is dry.

I have heard good things about Purina One but haven't used it with Angel. I did have another dog on it though in the past and he did very well with it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I've tried various brands with Zeus and finally decided on Royal Canin for a number of reasons. He poops less frequently (now 1-2 times a day), his poop smells less, and his coat is much more shinier. Royal Canin contains no biproducts or fillers. Zeus will be 2 this month.

I posted this link awhile back. A lady from another dog forum is a nutrition expert and did research on various foods. Here is her data:

http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=identify

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I use Royal Canin too. I would highly recommend it.
And my girls love it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We had a very difficult time with Bella getting her to eat (she almost died---but that's in an earlier post). I tried 4 different dog foods and Royal Canin was the one they would consistently eat. Bella's coat filled out and is now thick and shiny. Axle prefers RC to the others too. I used to put down 4 different foods (Bil-Jac, Tracker, Science Diet and RC) and RC was the one they always ate up first.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper has eaten Science Diet in the past and he didn't like it, although the nutritional value was okay. I never recommend Iams because they do animal testing.

A lot of people here use Royal Canin... I would think that's your best bet.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: I'll go with Royal Canin or IAMS mini chunks. I feed them both for variety and they like them both. ( :wink: Tho you can totally tell they like the RC the best.)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
i *hate* iams because of the fact they torture animals.. plus it's a bit "expensive" and not too healthy..
i use royal canine now but am looking to get an "organic" type food if i can ever find any decent ones :p

i've done tons of searches online to see what's the best but i can't for the life of me remember any of the sites to see what's best :(

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Miellie said:
I would like some advice on dog food brands. We don't get all those fancy foods you guys have over here so here's a list of foods that are available. Please tell me which you guys think are best. I'd really appreciate it.

Alpo
Iams
Hill's Science Diet
Royal Canin
Purina
Pedigree (currently using)
Husky
Vet's Choice

Thanx so much!
I've done a lot of research on quality ingredients in pet foods, and I'm in no way stating I'm an expert or anything, but if those are the only foods available to you, I would seriously and highly recommend Royal Canin.

The Vet's Choice brand listed there...is that also referred to as IVD? If it is IVD, then that's a top quality food as well. (I've never heard of Husky, so I can't comment on it)

I'm not sure if you're looking for an "all natural" approach to feeding your dog, but if so, the the Royal Canin or the Vet's Choice is the way to go because the other foods you listed contain by-products and/or chemicals called BHA/BHT. (Not to mention Alpo is one of the most disgusting dog foods on the market, in my opinion)

Try this website to self-educate yourself on quality pet foods

http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/

Hope this helps you :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Chico's Mama said:
I'm not sure if you're looking for an "all natural" approach to feeding your dog, but if so, the the Royal Canin or the Vet's Choice is the way to go because the other foods you listed contain by-products and/or chemicals called BHA/BHT. (Not to mention Alpo is one of the most disgusting dog foods on the market, in my opinion
I totally agree with you on the Alpo. A couple of years ago when trying to find a dog food that Tia, (my chi who passed on last year) would eat, I tried the Alpo. Aside from the fact that it upset her tummy, she had some of the most dreadful smelling poop ever - it was just disgusting!! Then there is also the fact they do animal testing.

I don't know about a couple of the brands that were mentioned in the original post, but I do know Royal Canin is an excellent food and would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
princess_ella said:
here is a link to a website where you can order all natual premium foods.check it out they even have the lowest shipping.http://www.premiumfoodsonline.com/site/972764/page/431103
that web site looks awesome...i'll probably order something off of there myself. unfortunately, it says they only ship to the US, Canada and Puerto Rico and the member who started this thread lives in South Africa. I will try and find a site that sells those kinds of foods and ships to South Africa :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Oh now i did not realize that sorry.Hope it helps others it really has help me i ordered 2 bags of dog food from them and received it in about a week.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I thought I'd add that I just switched Cooper to Flint River Ranch food and he LOVES it. He would hump the food if he still had his nuggets ... he loves it that much.

Of course, I had to try it too... y'all know me and my odd obsession for tasting my dog's food... and it is really yummy!!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Cooper said:
I thought I'd add that I just switched Cooper to Flint River Ranch food and he LOVES it. He would hump the food if he still had his nuggets ... he loves it that much.

Of course, I had to try it too... y'all know me and my odd obsession for tasting my dog's food... and it is really yummy!!
I'm thinking about switching Chico's food. I want him to gain a little more weight and I don't think the Wellness is helping him do that. I was thinking about switching him to Newman's Own Organics or Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, but if Cooper likes the Flint River Ranch so much, maybe I'll give that a try. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use nutro the lamb and rice flavor and pedro likes it fine. Innova is good too. I must admit that pedro likes to steal my gramma's dogs food (iams) and my parents dog food (pedigree). Oh and then at a friends house he devoured their dog's food as well... until we thought he would burst. We had to pry him away from that bowl...He's a bit of a piglet!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanx all. I think Royal Canin won the bet on this one! Will buy some the next time we go to the vet, as I can only purchase it there and I still have lots of Pedigree left. Thanx again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts