Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured this would be the best place to ask for this advice. Zeus is 8 months old. He doesn't ever have any aggression towards me, my husband, my 2 year old daughter (just turned 2 today :) ) or our cats. The problem is, he's recently started play-nipping (feet, ankles, hands, and noses), but it hurts, especially to our daughter. He's also started to paw with both front legs our faces if we're laying down. I understand he's a puppy, but I've had puppies from mixed breeds and by 8 months they've stopped doing this (I've owned 2 mixed breeds in the past). Will he calm down?

Also, house training him has been a nightmare. At night, he sleeps with us and knows he can't get off the bed so he holds it all night. During the day, I'll take him out every 2 hours and he'll still have 1-2 accidents in the house particularly in the kitchen. If I can't watch him and my daughter closely, he goes in the kitchen because I don't want him to scratch her in the eye by accident. I did the crate training for awhile, but I just hate keeping him in his crate. I'm wondering if he associates that it's "ok" to go in the kitchen. For example, my husband took Zeus out this morning and he was out back with him for 10 minutes (we never leave Zeus unattended in the back yard ever). All he did was pee. Not 5 minutes after putting him in the kitchen he pooped on the kitchen floor.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either/both problems? Zeus is my first Chi and he has a wonderful disposition. If only we could get these 2 problems under control.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
i thinnk chis are just hard to house break ozzy is 8 months nearly nine and he goes outside most of the time but goes on the pad about 3-4 times a week only to wee never poos inside unless he sneaks upstairs and then he will poo on the curtain in the bedroom I dont know why , but he doesnt go upstairs much , i always leave a pad by the back door in the kitchen on a night and if he is alone more than a couple of hours in case he is desperate, do you leave anything down ?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use to leave those pads down, but he thinks it's more of a toy. He'll drag it all around the house. I still have some left. I may start to try those again. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kemo is 14 mos and still having accidents. I heard chi's may never be fully housebroken. If I gate him in the kitchen he "holds" it. When he was still new to me I left papers down for him in the kitchen and he would go there. But I too take him out every two hours and he still has accidents. I try to notice how much he is drinking, somedays he is an endless thirst pit, while others he is just normal.
As far as biting try the "ouch" method and ignore him.......or tell him NO in a firm tone. I gently hold his mouth shut and say NO BITE! He has really calmed down with that and does it only when he is extra happy to see me.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Tequila will be one year come Thursday and she still isnt 100% potty trained. I would say she is 90% there. Kylie and Ginger tend to have more accidents, but I think that is because they are pad trained and tend to miss their mark.
Toy breeds are very difficult to train...some people get lucky and have a very easily trained dog, but most are hard.

As far as biting goes, I find ignoring your pup works best. What I do is give a sharp, lound NO or OUCH, grab their mouth closes, then put them in their crate and give them a time out. I was very lucky and the only dog I had problems with biting was Kylie. She still gets a little nippy but usually when I am playing with her.

Hope this helps! I quickly scanned the other posts so I am not sure if I am just repeating what others have already said...hehe.
-Jessica

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Angel5218 said:
I quickly scanned the other posts so I am not sure if I am just repeating what others have already said...hehe.-Jessica
LOL yes you just reinforced what I said!!! Very good... reinforcements are handy LOL

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try the gently holding his muzzle and saying "No bite" or "Ouch". The housetraining bit is so frustrating. We have white berber carpets and any fuzzball or stain shows. Luckily he hasn't had any accidents on the carpet since I watch him very closely when he's not in the kitchen. I usually use vinegar and water to clean up the kitchen, but my husband can't stand the smell.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
NoahFL said:
. I usually use vinegar and water to clean up the kitchen, but my husband can't stand the smell.
You must use Nature's Miracle, AWESOME stain remover, guarantees complete urine removal smell and your husband will not complain. You can get it at any pet store. Red and white bottle. I use it to shampoo my rugs, gets stains out of clothes and more. I sound like a commercial don't I LOL

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
LOL Kemo's Mama....I am going to mimic u again!

I use Nature's Mirical too and its awesome!!! Its safe on carpet/floors and it claims to get rid of all the odor so that ur pup wont go back to the same spot.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Re: potty training, Pablo (13 months) is litter box trained. We would put him in his litter when we noticed him sniffing around or starting to circle, then tell him good boy and give him a treat. He hasn't had an accident since he was about 7 months old. And the great thing is he lets us know when he has pooped because he wants his reward treat, and that way we can clean it up right away. But truthfully I think we had an easy time of it because I am fortunate to have my 17 year old daughter home with him all day to watch him while I was at work (she is home schooled). I use "Yesterdays News" by Purina.

Re: play nipping, I have the same problem. I read some advice recently: gently hold his mouth closed and say "close your mouth", then repeat the command saying his name first. But don't hold his mouth closed for longer than 15 seconds. I only do it for about 5-10 seconds. It seems to work on a temporary basis, but I think I have to be more consistent.

Good luck. I am still learning too. If you find something that works to stop the nipping share it with me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts