Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella joined our household 3 weeks ago at 7 weeks old.

For the first 3 days she was happy, playful and full of life. Then the vomiting started.

We were feeding her 4 small meals a day, using IAM's puppy food. She started with vomiting about a half an hour after being fed and just once. She progressed to vomiting after each meal continually until all she could bring up was a clear, foamy vomit.

We took her to our vet and he told us she may be suffering from Mega-esophagus, or in lay terms an abnormal pouch in her esophagus. He told us to feed her a gruel mixture of water and finely ground dry food and then hold her erect for 20 minutes. This offered no relief.

4 days ago she became extremely distended and was whimpering in pain until she began passing gas (not a pleasant experience). Once she did this she was much better and became playful once more, but with her next meal she started the vomiting again.

We are now feeding her just a small mouthful of wet food, but this comes up immediately. She is becoming dehydrated (for which we are giving her twice daily injections of 0.9% NACL) and has today displayed a slight staggering. I know this is a sign of hypoglycemia and we are trying to treat her for that with honey-water, but she brings this up immediately.

Not meaning to offend anyone but she is starting to look like a death camp survivor. Each meal is now followed with loud screams of pain and followed with vomiting. She has not had a bowel movement for 2 days and is continually trying to express her anal glands (dragging her bottom along the carpet, wood floor and cement patio).

She is scheduled for a barium swallow x-ray tomorrow, so we should get some answers then. But in the mean time, has anyone experienced this same condition? If so what did you do to help your baby?

My wife and I both have backgrounds in medicine (she is a RN and I am a retired Special Operations Paramedic) but we are at our wits end. We've have become very attached to Bella in the last 3 weeks (something that really surprised me about me). I find myself up all night just holding her and praying to my God.

Please, someone advise us.

Bella's Daddy

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Bella's dad, megaesophagus is fairly uncommon in small breed dogs, but hopefully the contrast radiographs will tell the vets what might be going on (foreign body would be high on my list). Any diarrhea, or hematochezia, any other symptoms? Something I might also consider is an serious case of internal parasites, parvovirus (did they run tests?). One last thing that also is extremely rare in small breeds, but gastric dilatative volvulus (GDV) can result from eating/playing simulatenously (especially when rolling around on the ground), where the stomach torques around and the torsion creates a blockage for food, hence, continual vomitting ensues. Another possibility is intestinal herniation which may explain the on/off kind of syndrome your pup experiences.

One last thing I'd definately ask the vet to consider is inceception of the intestines (when a section of the intestine folds over another, creating a tapered closure), which is something we often DO see in young, small breed dogs as a result of chronic GI upset. The lack of bowel movements makes me especially suspicious of this (or foreign body). Can they palpate any evidence of inteceception in abdomen, or does it appear abnormal on ultrasound?

If your current vets can't figure it out after the contrast, start seeking second opinions or advice from a veterinary internist. Situations like these can't wait and normally turn worse very quickly without a positive diagnosis. It's also tough to make a good diagnosis without a lot of diagnostics, and a contrast series will help out. Was there any bloodwork done or radiographs, or ultrasound?

Hopefully, it all cracks down to simple gastroenteritis or pancreatitis. That would be a best-case scenario, and I'm crossing my fingers for you and your pup. I know exactly how you feel, and it's so hard to feel helpless when you can see your baby suffering. Hang in there and know we're all rooting for you.

Good luck with the contrast shots, keep your pup hydrated, blood glucose up, and hospitlizaed if necessary, you cannot be too careful as you know =)

Let us know if there is anything else we can do! It looks like you're in Southern California (although not quite in Los Angeles) but if you need a referral to a great internist and would consider the drive, I have some numbers that of people who may be able to help.

-Nate

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Instead of force feeding honey water, smear Karo syrup directly onto her gums, it will be absorbed through the mucus membranes and won't be vomitted up immediately. The effects will be quicker!

Has your vet prescribed carafate or anything for esophagitis? Often during chronic vomitting their esophaguses are extremely enflamed and irritated, and sometimes the inflammation also invokes gagging when they are fed, and is also very painful. As you know stomach acid burns!

Good luck, and keep us updated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nate, Thank you for your advice and concern.

We have taken notes from your post and will present them to our vet tomorrow.

I understand what you said about the GDV as I, myself, suffer from Gastric Reflux Disease. But I had thought that carafate had been discontinued (at least in humans it has been).

No, there has been no diarrhea or hematochezia. In fact there has been no bowel movement for 2 days now.

I can only pray that it is not inteceception of the intestine. The military does not pay much in the way of medical retirement pay and as we all know nurses do not make what they truly deserve. That with one child in college (and of course she picked the most expensive - Azusa-Pacific) and another just entering the "age of clothing enlightenment", things get pretty tight around the house hold.

Again, thank you for your advice. We are now much better prepared for speaking with out vet.

Kurt Gerber, MHA
HM1(FMF) USN (Disabled)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I hope everything will be okay!! I'm so sorry for what your baby is going through!! And I thought Dixie had the most severe problem... Warm regards to you, your wife, and to Bella! Keep us all updated...

MissStephanie & Dixie

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
You'll find that the people in this forum care greatly about all chi's so please know that we are genuinely interested in your Bella. Try to keep us updated, as time permits. I will keep you and Bella in my thoughts and prayers, as I know how easy it is to get attached to these sweet creatures.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bella...

Nate has offered great advice for you and Bella. I hope it is nothing as severe as some of the things he described.

Good luck and good medicine! Keep us informed, OK?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi, not sure about carafate (sucralfate) use in humans, but we use it widespread in chronic vomitors for esophagitis. It's very safe, can be used in diabetics despite it's sucrose ingredients, and is very effective in protecting ulcerations along the upper GI tract.

Please update us, and take all suggestions on the web with a grain of salt, only your vet knows what's best as he/she has done the PE, and will be able to best direct you towards the right course of action and diagnosis.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Nate gave you great advise. We are all praying for your little one! Please let us know of any updates!

PS - I am Catholic so I believe in all the saints. St. Francis is the saint for nature and animals. There is one prayer I say for anyone who's animal is sick and I thought I might share it in case there are a few who would like to know it. Religion is a very tricky topic so I hope I really dont offend anyone here. Please let me know if I do.

St. Francis of Assisi Lover of all Creation Prayer for Sick Animals:
Heavenly Father,
you created all things for your glory
and made us stewards of this creature
If it is your will, restore it to health andstrength.
Blessed are you, Lord God,
and holy is your name for ever and ever.
Amen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got back from the vets office. It was not a good visit. As we thought Bella does have megaesophagus with little to no food passing to her stomach.

He consulted with an Internal Medicine and Surgical vet. Both agree that surgical intervention would be the solution of choice, but do not feel she is a candidate as she is now less than 1 lb. Neither feels she would survive the surgical procedure.

That leaves us with only one solution. We are going to keep her one more night and have her put down tomorrow.

My heart is truly broken. I have lost important people in my life and more then enough Marines in combat, but with Bella I feel like just rolling into the fetal position and staying there.

I beg all of you not to look at us as not caring. It is because we do care for her that this decision is being made. She is in such dire pain right now and she is just too beautiful of a soul to have to suffer any more.

Kurt

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Words cannot express how sorry I am to hear this. I don't think anyone on this forum would think of you as uncaring, rather as someone who truly cares and doesn't wish to see this poor baby suffer. I am so, so sorry :sad10: My heart goes out to little Bella and to you and your family, and you will all be in my prayers.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Kurt, Bella and Family,

I am so sorry for your Baby to have to go through this but you and your vet know best. The best thing for Bella is to make the pain and suffering stop.

The best thing foryou and your family is to hug her and love her this one last night and pray that she will be better off going to the rainbow bridge.

I hope you get through this and my prayers and thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of poor little Bella's condition....thank goodness she has loving care givers like you and your wife who understand that sometimes " being put gently to sleep " is the most loving thing you can do. We will keep you all in our prayers tonight and tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I too am filling up. I was too afraid that might be the outcome, I just had a gut feeling. We do not think bad of you...its the selfish person that would not do that....Believe me we are all here for you and crying with you.....

In time perhaps when you heal you can find another chi never to replace but perhaps fill that void just a little bit.

God Bless :cry:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Kurt, believe me, no one here will think of you as uncaring. It's obvious that you're letting this little girl go because you love her enough not to prolong her agony. I know your heart is breaking and I don't have the words that can lessen your pain. I believe in the Rainbow Bridge and I believe that's where you'll see your Bella again, but without pain and without sadness. I'm so terribly sorry this is happening to Bella, to you and to your family. :cry: :cry: :cry:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts