Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be grateful for some advice for Atticus please.
my three are on a half raw, half Orijen diet (one day raw, the next day Orijen)
and they're doing very well on it but Atticus is still a growing girl and i think she needs a little something else in her diet.

she is VERY lean. her ribs, hips and spine are all very prominent, though it's hard to see because of her brindling but it's very noticable when i touch her.
both the boy's ribs and spine can be felt too but they do have a light padding over them but are not fat.

if i feed Atticus more Orijen, she just poops more but doesn't put on any weight. she seems to just poop the extra food straight out.

so should i up her raw meat portion?
is it more protein she needs in her diet, more meat in her raw meal?
or is there something else i can give her to help her gain a little more weight?

any advice would be very apprieciated :daisy:

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
How old is Atticus,i know they go through the lanky stage.Somebody who feeds raw said giving the dogs lights puts weight on

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Atticus is just short of 10 months old and is very active.
she's always been very lean, she's never had the usual "puppy fat" you expect on a puppy. the only time she had a round shape was when we first got her and that was due to worms.

i've regularly enquired at the village butcher about lights and green tripe but they don't get any thing like that in. they have carcasses delivered that are "clean" although they do save the hearts etc for me.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Dottie is 9 months and skinny as well,i'm waiting for her to fill out.Was thinking of putting scrambled eggs mixed with her food.I don't do raw so i don't know where you would get lights,maybe try google and see

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Increase the fat in her diet. Pork is a fattier meat. Beef is good. Chicken is fine, but leave on the skin/fat. Also increase the portions on raw days. A raw fed dog is usually leaner and grows slower than a kibble fed counterpart. At 10 months she is a teenager and will go through a gangly stage, as Michele pointed out. Raw eggs are good. As is salmon oil and/or coconut oil as a supplement (which adds fat and calories).

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I have one right now that is so skinny it just kills me. I feed raw and she is not gaining. I like my dogs thin but not as thin as she is. I worried she might have a tape worm she's so thin, lol...so wormed her for that, but it didn't make a difference. If I feed more she just poops more it seems, doesn't gain. So I don't have anything helpful to add, just that I wanted to say I feel your pain.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry ladies, I've been ill so i've not been on here to respond to your answers.

I've increased Atticus' raw meat portion and she gets a little extra of the fatty bits I cut off the boy's portions plus i rub her meat with a little extra virgin olive oil.
On Orijen days she now gets most of a boiled egg yolk with some white, while the boys get most of the white and a little yolk.
I've also invested in some Ziwipeak to use as treats and some Ziwipeak lamb liver treats for occasional extras.
After just a couple of weeks of this, Atticus isn't so gaunt - yay! :)
She's still skinny but not worryingly so anymore AND she doesn't seem to be pooping the extra food straight out.
Thank you for your advice :D
We appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sorry ladies, I've been ill so i've not been on here to respond to your answers.

I've increased Atticus' raw meat portion and she gets a little extra of the fatty bits I cut off the boy's portions plus i rub her meat with a little extra virgin olive oil.
On Orijen days she now gets most of a boiled egg yolk with some white, while the boys get most of the white and a little yolk.
I've also invested in some Ziwipeak to use as treats and some Ziwipeak lamb liver treats for occasional extras.
After just a couple of weeks of this, Atticus isn't so gaunt - yay! :)
She's still skinny but not worryingly so anymore AND she doesn't seem to be pooping the extra food straight out.
Thank you for your advice :D
We appreciate it very much.
Great news. Thanks for the update! :hello1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts