Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
zoey has only ever met dogs that are bigger than her. so naturally, she's afraid of them. she will tuck her tail and run away if any dogs come up to her and she's on the ground. if she's in my arms she's usually okay though.

i really want to get another chi in the near future but am afraid zoey will be terrified of it. i know that i would introduce them on neutral ground but am not sure if that would make a difference.

anyone have any ideas or experience with a scardey-cat chi? :lol:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
if they are together - and after they check each other out it should be ok. Kemo doesnt like other dogs and he barked at Bindi for 1 week then they became buddies...but it was very gradual. I still think Kemo just tolerates her alot vs being best of friends. That is one reason I could not do another rescue, we went the puppy route. ALthough if the dog was very submissive it would probably work.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
colleen13 said:
zoey has only ever met dogs that are bigger than her. so naturally, she's afraid of them.
Don't assume that she will be afraid of all big dogs. Whenever we're out on a walk I'm always fascinated to see which dogs Lily will shy away from and which ones she will pursue. I'm almost always wrong. :lol:

Yesterday, for example, there was a long haired dachshund coming toward us and you could hear him growling from about 10 feet away. But Lily just marched right up to him and started a sniff fest. It seemed like a real "love connection" until the other owner said, "I'm not paying for the wedding." :lol:

The dog Lily has been most scared of during one of our walks was another chihuahua who was even smaller than her. The two of them would barely even look at each other and both just shook with fear.

Lily is good friends with a chow and a weimaraner at daycare and she adores my parents' golden. I've seen her shy away from a yorkie and want to follow a great pyrenees home. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to who she will like. I guess she judges on some "inner" character trait that I'm unable to perceive. :wink:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zoey has met a klee kai, a rottweiler, and a poodle mix. and she didn't like any of them.... she's met other dogs at pet stores but hasn't been interested at all in them. and she's seen other dogs when we go on walks but never wants to sniff them. she just keeps walking. it's like she doesnt realize they are dogs too! :lol:

i dont want to buy another chi and then have zoey scared of it and hiding all the time. i guess i'd just have to give her time to get used to a new chi ... :wave:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Because Auggie never got to be around other dogs he doesn't like them. He does have things backward though. He is afraid of little dogs and goes crazy and acts like a tiger around big ones :roll: I would love for him to get to be around another chi :(

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i really hope zoey starts liking other dogs-- a chi meetup is a fabulous idea!! that way i'd be able to see if she likes small dogs better than bigger dogs.

i love that auggie acts like a tiger and likes big dogs! :shock: i bet it's very cute!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts