Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if someone of you had the same experience...Since some time Richie doesn't want to go walkie outside. He will just sit on the floor and refuse to move. It is especially strange because before he always liked to go outside for a walk, played there with other dogs. There was also no bad experience that he had outside or something else. I really don't know what to do- I am just afraid that someday he will completely refuse to go out of the appartment, then we will have a real problem...Any ideas here??

Richie's mom

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Poor little Richie......maybe try carrying him for short periods out of the apartment.... and just talking to him in a soothing voice....something must have spooked him. l

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Maybe something scared him the last few times he was outside and now he is not sure of going because he is scared? I know the garbage truck scared the living daylights out of Gizmo last week and he didn;t want to go outside for the rest of the day, I had to coax him out and even then he ran back inside...eventually I convinced him it was safe...

Good luck :wave:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am getting a new puppy Friday and I read a whole book about chihuahua's not to long ago and they suggested that if there is a change in your pet and you know that its not how your dog is you should take them to the vet, the book said that your dog could be sick and not showing symptoms yet. So if you are concerned with your dog you could always call the vet and talk to them to see what they say.

Faith

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply! KB mamma: He is 1 year old now...
I'll try to carry him around a little bit and maybe take him more often to new places that he is getting used of it. I'll also try to find something in Internet about this behavior. That's just really strange, because few weeks ago everything was fine. But thanks again for your advice!

Richie's mom

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
yeah may be a fear stage, I will see if I can find something and post it

here i found this real quick:

Second Fear Impact Period 6 to 14 Months

This period is otherwise known as Teenage Flakiness! In large breeds this period could extend longer since it is tied to sexual maturity. Incidents may occur more than once. This is a fear of new situations and is handled with the utmost patience. The dog is encouraged to work it out on his own. If anything, it is better to ignore the whole situation than to reinforce the fear by praising the dog or petting him while he is afraid. When you "reassure" a dog with pets and "it's okay, fella", you are telling him it is okay to be frightened and you are creating a potential problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for posting this, I had no idea about these periods. Yesterday I found in the Internet completely the same situation described (with a pit bull) and the dog behaviorist said you have to drag the dog over the street :shock: He said it's not fear, but actually alpha behavior, think it's garbage though. What you quoted makes sense. I figured out that it works when I just turn away and look somewhere else when he is doing this, after sometime he is then running to me. So, basically, ignoring. Definitely takes a lot of patience :lol: Hope it'll get better soon, because it is really weird.

Richies's mom

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, right, sometimes I think that he just wants attention. Maybe I spoiled him too much, because he is always with me, following every step, always wants to cuddle :lol: Maybe I should teach him to be more independent

1 - 13 of 13 Posts