Chihuahua People Forum banner

After being spayed

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  cherper 
#1 ·
Should I keep Roxy super confined so she isn't running around? She is able to run about with no problems but I'm just paranoid her incision area will burst open if she keeps it up. At least that's a good sign she doesn't hurt.

Their pen isn't that small but it's smaller than the area she is gated in now. Would that be better or is she fine? She went in Saturday morning. The paperwork says to keep activity to a minimum for 7-10 days or I wouldn't think it was a big deal. And I've been keeping an eye on the area and no nasties oozing from it or anything. I think it looked a bit red or tender the other day after letting Billa out with her. BIG MISTAKE. They played and I didn't like her doing that.

Anyway... the smaller the better or is she fine where she is?

#2 ·
It is a big deal unfortunately they have a lot of internal stitches and basically have had a hysterectomy were on rest for 6 weeks after one!! After 5 days they can have a walk on leash for about 15 minutes she shouldn't be playing with bella as she could tear something!!

I didn't confine daisy but she was my only dog at the time she wasn't allowed to jump and I put all the toys away!! Chewing is good and a little walk literally 10 days and sees back to normal!!

It is hell tho trying to keep them still I hated it

#3 ·
You should definitely keep her very confined for 5 days, at the minimum. Even though it may seem she is fine too much movement can cause the incision site to fill up with fluid which then has to be drained. If this happens, it can be very expensive. Not to mention too much movement inhibits healing. So please keep her as still as you can~!

#5 ·
I got leila spayed on friday , so 4 days ago. I am keeping her in her pen and she only gets out to potty. It sucks i know she misses us and is bored to tears. But i let her out for a second the other day and she jumped up on the couch to get my hubby. *I coulda strangled him for letting her* anyhoo, best to keep them penned up. For how long though i don't really know and would be interested to find out. My vet did say no leash walks for 14 days though, and to be very careful lifting her, i've been trying not to pick her up at all, but supporting her bottom half and chest equally so she's not "hanging" so to speak.

#12 ·
and to be very careful lifting her, i've been trying not to pick her up at all, but supporting her bottom half and chest equally so she's not "hanging" so to speak.
Honestly, this is how I ALWAYS lift every single one of my pups, every single time. One hand under the butt, one hand under their "arms" supporting their chests.
When I just had Lo, I lifted her all the time just by her chest, under her arms (like when she would be standing on her back legs to tell me to pick her up). As she got older, there were a few times I would go to pick her up like that, and she would squeeeeeeeeeel real loud, real quick. When I actually looked at her the next time I was lifting her, I could tell she was arching her back WAY too much, and was probably pinching something.
I strongly recommend lifting them up by their butts...
:D:D

Hope Roxy is mending well! I'm sure Billa misses her!

#6 ·
That's how I've been picking her up too, if I've needed to. I think I'm going to leave her in the pen for longer than necessary just in case, since she has been running around. Grr. I can't wait until I can take her on walks again. Poor little bored dear. lol.

Good luck with Leila too, cherp! :) They can be bored 'together,' haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.