Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paco is doing great with raw chicken and game hens. We had a little set back when he was neutered because he really had some stomach issues after the anesthetic. He is back on schedule now and eating and pottying regularly.

My question is... what should I add next to his diet? We live in a rural area and the only meat I can get is what you can buy at Tops or Wegman's. What would you suggest?

Do I still give him chicken once a day and the new meat once a day. (He eats around 9-10 in the morning and around 7-8 at night.)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would go to pork and then beef, but you can reverse if you want. Whatever you can get a good deal on. Look at inexpensive cuts such as roasts, or even hearts or tongue. It doesn't have to be a steak. ;)

Add in one bite at a time with the chicken he's used to. Next meal add in 2 bites, etc. If he tolerates it fine, after a couple of meals you can do chicken in the morning, for example, and then a meal of beef in the afternoon.

Brody is working through a deer heart right now. :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've found that most dogs transition easily from chicken to turkey or other birds. You can also try beef, pork etc. but I would alternate the sources in the beginning per meal as you said; just in the beginning so they stomach has a chance to adjust. Once they've gotten used to each kind though; we usually go a week or so with just one source, and then switch the following week and their tummies handle it fine once they've adjusted. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've found that most dogs transition easily from chicken to turkey or other birds. You can also try beef, pork etc. but I would alternate the sources in the beginning per meal as you said; just in the beginning so they stomach has a chance to adjust. Once they've gotten used to each kind though; we usually go a week or so with just one source, and then switch the following week and their tummies handle it fine once they've adjusted. Good luck!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That's a good point Kat. Some people like to feed through one protein at a time, even after the dog is transitioned, but I just kinda throw it all together so he might get a chicken foot and a few bites of beef for breakfast and then a turkey heart and a bite of lamb for dinner, etc. Depending on what I have or grab out of the freezer. I mix it up all the time. I also add in ZiwiPeak or Stella and Chewys or even high quality canned once in awhile as well. I tend to do organs on the weekend as a meal with a chicken wing tip for bone as that's easiest for me to remember.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you include the ZP with raw or instead of it? I got some to have on hand just in case I couldn't get raw for some reason. I thought it might be easier if we go overnight or something.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Do you include the ZP with raw or instead of it? I got some to have on hand just in case I couldn't get raw for some reason. I thought it might be easier if we go overnight or something.
I just feed it separately in place of a raw meal. It's good to have them used to something like that in case of traveling, boarding, or you just forget to thaw something! ;)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Mimi never had any issues going to other proteins from Chicken, however I do remember
with Jax he seemed to transition into pork easier than beef.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts