Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For people who have had their Chi's spayed, did they lick the area a lot? I refuse to put an e collar on her and I work from home so will be with her 24/7. Just wondered if I should get a onesie or something? Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I just had 5 female dogs spayed, only one licked enough to be a problem. I used a onsie on her for about three days, then I was able to take it off and she was fine. It you get one, put it on upside down, it covers more area and its easier to take on and off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love the idea of a onesy. If she does manage to get at it, you may be forced to put on a collar. They love to go at the incision at night. There is a bitter cream that is made specifically to put around incisions and wounds. Some dogs will lick right through it, but it's usually successful. Also, now there are donut shaped collars (they sell them at Petsmart etc.) that are much less cumbersome than the plastic cones if it comes down to it.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I use the e collar after every neuter and spay, it's not a big deal the dogs adjust
to it, it is for their own safety. Open stitches or an infected wound are no fun.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use the e collar after every neuter and spay, it's not a big deal the dogs adjust
to it, it is for their own safety. Open stitches or an infected wound are no fun.
I'm going to get one tomorrow just in case, I can always take it back if don't use. Thanks good idea. I forgot they have those nice ones now.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
After Odie was spayed, we had one of the plastic collars, but decided against using it because she couldn't have been less interested in her stitches. Like you, I was able to be with her 24/7 at the time. I've had a dog before that definitely needed to wear one though. I think it just depends on the dog. I saw a collar in a pet store the other day that looked like a doughnut. Not sure how good they work though, or if they even make them in tiny sizes.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw some inflatable ones and says the dog can sleep with it on at Petco. Ya not sure if they come that small either. I'll check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have had 3 females spayed and 1 male neutered and never used a collar. Never had a problem with any of them. They did lick the area clean initially but after that...we never had any issues. I just kept an eye on it and made sure it didnt get red or irritated looking.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I saw some inflatable ones and says the dog can sleep with it on at Petco. Ya not sure if they come that small either. I'll check it out tomorrow.
The inflatable ones leak! Not that I'm badmouthing my company's products, but.....when every person who buys one returns it? Might be time for a new product. :coolwink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts